Trusted Contributor

Has anyone experienced or know about feet constantly cramping?

For about the past 6 months my feet have been constantly been cramping. Usually when I am relaxing or in bed.  I usually have to get up and stand on my feet to keep from getting a charlie horse.  I've been wearing my shoes with memory foam alot around the house and thought perhaps that has had something to do with it - although that doesn't really make sense but it's the only thing that I have been doing different.  Has anyone experienced this or know something about it?

Valued Contributor

Re: Has anyone experienced or know about feet constantly cramping?

I find that when I forget to take my magnesium, the next few days my feet cramp.  I take 400 mg of magnesium a day.  Good for other issues too.

Honored Contributor

I have a terrible time with leg/feet cramps at night when sleeping.

I asked my Dr.about it and he said it's usually caused by not hydrating enough during the day.

There is an OTC drug made by a co. called Hyland for leg cramps and he also said tonic water (quinine) would help, but I hate tonic water!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Yes, my dad had terrible problems with leg cramps.  His doctor told him to take magnesium supplements.  I was told that some are more readily absorbed than others, but I forgot the details.  Look into that before you purchase any.

~ house cat ~

Hello, yes I have experienced this for several months. I had an EMG done to find out if there was nerve damage. The results were some mild nerve damage and Tarsal Tunnel in my ankle. Mine is from 30 plus years of walking 10 hrs a day on concrete. I doubt it is from your shoes but maybe try not wearing them for a week and see if that helps. I have excruciating pain and cramps at night so I know your pain. My Dr. Is trying B vitamins and tonic water with Quinine in it. The other alternative is surgery. Try the vitamins and tonic water to see if it helps. Good Luck! 

Honored Contributor

6 months is a long time to be dealing with this.  I would get yourself thoroughly checked out to make sure it isn't a symptom of something that doesn't have anything to do with your feet.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@isaboo  It could be something as simple as low magnesium levels  or something as serious as problems with your parathyroid gland and your calcium levels. If magnesium does not fix the issue after trying that, I would go to your doctors and perhaps have your parathyroid gland checked out.

Super Contributor

I had this problem too. I find mine comes from lack of hydration and changing heel heights during the week. If I wear a higher heel, when I put on my flat slippers when I get home and then at night when I stretch out my leg they hit. This is going to sound crazy, but put a bar of soap, I use Ivory soap, under your mattress. It's one of those old remedies, and it does work. 

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Honored Contributor

When I was training in Karate and teaching and was constantly sweating, I would drink about 8 to 10 oz of an electrolyte drink prior to each class.  It effectively stopped cramping later in the day from losing vital nutrients.  I will still add electrolytes to my diet every few days and haven't had leg cramps (my particular issue) in a very long time.

Good luck....  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

For quick relief, eat a few teaspoons of yellow mustard.  Athletes do it.

i've done it when foot cramps woke me up at night, and it worked for me, amazingly!

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2013/09/23/a-spoonful-of-yellow-mustard-makes-the-leg-cramps-go-away...

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller