Respected Contributor

Has anyone ever undergone a knee manipulation?

I had a knee replacement at the beginning of February, and I've been doing the daily exercises. I also had several weeks of therapy at  a medical complex, and found it very helpful.

My doctor, however, thinks that I could be doing better--that my knee  should be bending more. He suggested a knee manipulation. He said it was up to me, but I said I probably did not want to undergo it.

I know there's a window of time when this can be done (I may have already passed it). Anyway, I'm wondering if I made the right decision.

Any advice?

Valued Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever undergone a knee manipulation?

I don't want to give you any advice, but I will tell you about my experience after my TKR in Nov. 2014. I came home from the hospital and began PT, first at home where the therapist visits 3 times weekly, then began going to our local PT facility 3 times a week. From the beginning I was having trouble doing what the therapists thought I should be able to do. I was trying as hard as I could, but it was painful and I was frustrated. One day another TKR patient happened to be on the table next to me and she started talking to me about our surgery,etc., and she said she had just had a knee manipulation and she was doing so much better afterward. I had never even heard of it, so I asked her what it was all about. When I went back for a checkup with my surgeon not long after that, I asked him and he said I had scar tissue and should have the manipulation. I had the procedure done, although the thought of it wasn't appealling, but I did so much better in PT after that. I was able to reach all the numbers( degree of bending) that my PT wanted. I'm glad I did it. HTH

Esteemed Contributor

Here's my experience.  I had a knee replacement in October last year and hit a plateau in the degree of bend at 95 for almost a month.  (You need at least 95 to do stairs and get up from a chair, etc.)  However, my doc was looking for 110-120.

My difficulty in achieving that bend was that I couldn't take anti-inflammatories due to prior stomach ulcers.  So I was swelling more than most patients.  He mentioned manipulation; I said let's wait and see when the swelling goes down more.  He also mentioned that manipulation doesn't always work.

Long story short, I did not have it.  The swelling subsided, and within another month I achieved a greater degree of bend just by activities of daily living and my exercises. 

A number's just that:  a number.  Can you do the things you aimed to do with this surgery comfortably?  Is you leg getting stronger every day? Sometimes the answers to those questions are the best guides.

Respected Contributor

I appreciate the responses to my question.

I think I'm going to keep going as I am--with no manipulation. I am pleased with my progress (one thing is that I'm able to get in my car more easily than a few weeks back).

I'm going to persevere, and keep doing the exercises.

Thanks again.

Respected Contributor

I have a question about knee replacement.  If you had to do it over again, would you have it done?  What was your recovery time, as far as when you could start driving, going for walks, etc.  I have osteoarthritis in both knees.  My left knee is the worst and my orthopedic dr. and I have talked about the surgery a few times.  It scares the heck out of me.  I'm in my 60's and have used a cane the last few years.  That doesn't bother me but the pain does.  Thanks for any information. 

Valued Contributor

I, also, have OA in both knees and the left one is the one I had replaced in Nov. 2014. I waited till I was was 65 so Medicare would cover it, but I was in a lot of pain the last year before surgery. Honestly, had I not been in so much pain I would have avoided the surgery, but I just couldn't go on any longer. It's been a long tough road and I still have a fair amount of uncomfortableness and stiffness, but not the pain I once had. I hope not to have the surgery on my right knee and so far the pain in it is manageable. I know many people have an easier time than I have had with mine, but everyone's results are different. Good luck making your decision. Just know that you'll have to fully commit to the physical therapy to have a good outcome and it can be painful. I still do exercises, swim when I can, and ride my recumbent bike to help relieve stiffness. They will get you up and walking while you're in the hospital and my Dr. said I could resume driving in 6 weeks. My DH drove me to PT. HTH

Respected Contributor

I had my TKR 5 years ago and have never regretted it. My dr. Wants all of his patients to reach 130 in flexibility and it tools 4 months of painful therapy but it was worth it. He threatened me with the manipulation, but I was able to work through it.

Good luck with your recovery.

Respected Contributor

I appreciate all your feedback about knee replacement.  I have a question - if my left knee is the one being replaced am I still not able to drive even though I'd use my right leg/foot?  Tomorrow I see the orthopedic surgeon - to most likely get another cortisone shot in my left knee.  It's been over a year since I've seen him and will probably discuss the knee replacement with him again.

Since I live alone I would be relying on family members to help me out as far as going to P/T, getting groceries, etc.  This has all been weighing heavily on me the last few days wondering if should have it done or not.  Also, I'm not a wimp but having painful P/T for such a long period of time is scary.  Take care.     

Esteemed Contributor

Catty2, I had my left knee done in October. You can't drive until you're off the  heavier painkillers...and you need to be religious in taking them.  Your doctor will help you get through the pain.   I went straight home from the hospital but my DH took the first week off and a family friend stay with us for 2 weeks.  If you live alone, a brief stay in rehab first might better.  You need to focus on rest, healing and PT, especially that first month.  

Your doctor's hospital likely has a pre-op "what to expect" class.  I wish I had not put it off...I'm pleased with the results and it was worth it!