Honored Contributor

Has Anyone Used Something Like This For Sciatic/Muscle/ Problems?

[ Edited ]

Lifetime Warranty FDA cleared OTC HealthmateForever YK15AB TENS unit with 4 outputs, apply 8 pads at the same time, 15 modes Handheld Electrotherapy device | Electronic Pulse Massager for...

Lifetime Warranty FDA cleared OTC HealthmateForever YK15AB TENS unit with 4 outputs, apply 8 pads at the same time, 15 modes Handheld Electrotherapy device | Electronic Pulse Massager for Electrotherapy Pain Management -- Pain Relief Therapy : Chosen by Sufferers of Tennis Elbow, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis, Plantar Fasciitis, Sciatica, Back Pain, Fibromyalgia, Shin Splints, Neuropathy and other Inflammation Ailments Patent No. USD723178S

Valued Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Used Something Like This For Sciatic/Muscle/ Problems?

I have a tens unit, but not with that many leads. It really does interrupt the pain cycle and has saved me from agony a number of times.

Respected Contributor

I have a TENS unit and use it for my back and it actually does work.  I put it on sometimes prior to doing something that will cause pain and I feel no pain. 

Honored Contributor

I can't reach my back..........I'd need a "helper", and Kitty is just not the one to do it..................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

The very inexpensive units like the one in the OP fail (cheap wiring & connectors) and most don't have the power to do much. They're more or less toys.

The more expensive units ($100+) might do some actual good. The type doctors give prescriptions for, from medical supply/device companies.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@ECBG

TENS unit do give relief to many with lumbar spinal issues, in fact they feel good on every muscle on which I have used either of my TENS units?

With any type of Sciatic nerve pain, the source first has to be found. The best way I k ow of, and by several of my own serious back and Sciatic issue, is via an MRI.

I can't remember if you said you have had an MRI or not. If you know the source, was a TENS unit prescribed by your doctor? All I can say for sure is that a good TENS unit can help with many types of muscular and connective tissue pain. But like inversion and several others that can make one feel better temporarily, that is their purpose. They will not correct and underlying injuries to the body's structure.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Hi Beth,

I do have a TENS unit purchased from the Southern Channel. I find it eases muscle pain when my lumbar stenosis flares up. Nerve inflammation is the real culprit and this technology works on that issue.

The only thing negative about my unit is the electrodes. The replacement ones I use most frequently are not offered alone, but come along with useless sizes (for me). The electrodes snap on and off, so it doesn't take that much to disengage it while I wear the unit.

The electrodes on the unit you pictured seem much better, Beth. I only have 2 electrodes so I cannot comment on the 8 electrode model, but it may pinpoint trigger points better. 

Let us know how it works for you if you do decide to purchase it. I will say that to expect a pinching sensation based on the cycle or pattern chosen. Yes, the intensity is controllable, but some cycles can be quite painful at first. The more you use it, the better you tolerate the impulses.

Good luck to you. Sitting at a desk for 10 hours at a time has really done a number on my back. This helps.

dee

Trusted Contributor

I, personally, think these tens units help quite a bit to releive some pain when you can't get to the doctor.

I had one years ago, from the southern channel.  I was under drs care with the huge, powerful unit in the office.. Bought the !little one on HSN and it helped at home.

Get this one and enjoy at home.-----------tedEbear

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@ECBG

TENS unit do give relief to many with lumbar spinal issues, in fact they feel good on every muscle on which I have used either of my TENS units?

With any type of Sciatic nerve pain, the source first has to be found. The best way I k ow of, and by several of my own serious back and Sciatic issue, is via an MRI.

I can't remember if you said you have had an MRI or not. If you know the source, was a TENS unit prescribed by your doctor? All I can say for sure is that a good TENS unit can help with many types of muscular and connective tissue pain. But like inversion and several others that can make one feel better temporarily, that is their purpose. They will not correct and underlying injuries to the body's structure.

hckynut(john)

I agree with everything that hckynut stated.  I neglected to mention in my post that my TENS unit was prescribed and gotten by my doctor.  I would find out as hckynut said where the pain is generated from.....most important.

I also would ask my doctor about buying the one that you are looking at.  My insurance covered mine but that was about 10 years ago....not sure now if insurance covers it.

Honored Contributor

@luvsbulldogs wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@ECBG

hckynut(john)

I agree with everything that hckynut stated.  I neglected to mention in my post that my TENS unit was prescribed and gotten by my doctor.  I would find out as hckynut said where the pain is generated from.....most important.

I also would ask my doctor about buying the one that you are looking at.  My insurance covered mine but that was about 10 years ago....not sure now if insurance covers it.

Just wanted to add that I too had one from HSN and a person could do worse, quality-wise, it wasn't bad. But I still think that a doctor-prescribed, more professional unit would be preferable. For one thing, if an inexpensive unit was ineffective, the person might think no TENS would help them, which might not be true - a better one might.

I wasn't using mine for anything very severe.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all