Honored Contributor

Has Anyone Had Prevnar 13 Shot?

I've read about this and have it on my list to discuss with my doctor next visit.  The thread on the shingles vac reminded me.

This is a new immunization against a number of types of pneumonia that aren't covered by the standard pneumonia shot that everyone gets routinely now.

i had the pneumonia shot and about three years later got pneumonia...there are so many types.  That makes Prevnar 13 interesting to me.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Had Prevnar 13 Shot?

I found this online on the official site.

INDICATIONS FOR PREVNAR 13®

Prevnar 13® is a vaccine approved for adults 50 years of age and older for the prevention of pneumococcal pneumonia and invasive disease caused by 13 Streptococcus pneumoniae strains (1, 3, 4, 5, 6A, 6B, 7F, 9V, 14, 18C, 19A, 19F, and 23F)
In children 6 weeks through 17 years of age (prior to the 18th birthday), Prevnar 13® is indicated for the prevention of invasive disease caused by S pneumoniae serotypes 1, 3, 4, 5, 6A, 6B, 7F, 9V, 14, 18C, 19A, 19F, and 23F
In children 6 weeks through 5 years of age (prior to the 6th birthday) Prevnar 13® is indicated for the prevention of otitis media caused by S pneumoniae serotypes 4, 6B, 9V, 14, 18C, 19F, and 23F
Prevnar 13® is not 100% effective and will only help protect against the 13 strains included in the vaccine
SELECTED SAFETY INFORMATION
Prevnar 13® should not be given to anyone with a history of severe allergic reaction to any component of Prevnar 13® or any diphtheria toxoid–containing vaccine
Children and adults with weakened immune systems (eg, HIV infection, leukemia) may have a reduced immune response

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

I had the shot last month. Some soreness and redness but better than getting sick.

Valued Contributor

I, too, received the Prevnar shot in June.  I had no reaction at all from it.  My doctor said I will never have to get another pneumonia shot. I feel safe and protected.  I even got a lolly pop for being a 'good girl.'  docsgirl

Respected Contributor

DH and I both had this shot before last Christmas and we are so glad we did. So many older people die of pneumonia it seems. 

we feel more protected too.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

Hmm...

I've regularly had the Pneumovax (good to help prevent any bronchial complication, BTW) shot every 10 years, the most recent being 2009.

Thanks for the info; I'll look into Prevnar 13 and check with my docs.

Esteemed Contributor

I have asthma and had an older version of a pneumonia shot. At my last check-up, my doctor suggested that I get the Prevnar 13 vaccine. She explained it will protect me against more types of pneumonia. I had the shot with no reaction at all.

Honored Contributor

I have had 2 shots years apart so i don't know if i will ever need a 3 d one..will need to talk to my doctor.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Esteemed Contributor

I had this shot yesterday, minimal side effects.

Esteemed Contributor

I had the shot; no reaction to it.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.