Esteemed Contributor

Re: Had a Terrible Lower Back Ache the Past 2 Days

On 5/13/2014 expatgal said:

I've battled lower back muscle spasms for years. Two things help me:

1. Ice the area for 15 mins, then apply heat for 15 mins. Take aspirin to reduce inflammation.

2. Lie flat on bed/floor. Pull your knees up to your chest, hold them there to a count of 30. You can do one leg at a time or both together, which feels the best.

I will add that I wear a brace (drugstore variety) for a few days just to keep things tight and supported in that area. Best of luck!

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

On 5/13/2014 CalmInTheHeart said: See a chiropractor!

Be very careful with this. It's good for muscle spasms, and some nerve issues, but very dangerous if your vertebrae are compressed (e.g., broken back). I would assume most chiropractors would be very careful with this, but many wouldn't.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Sometimes we all pull a muscle. If it occurs again it could be anything. There are so many things it would amaze you what it could be.

Kidney stones would be something that would come and go. Like I said, if it happens again you must get it checked out.

Always listen to your body. All too often we (me included) don't listen to our bodies when they try to tell us there is a problem. We all ignore it and then it becomes a much larger problem.

If it occurs again, get it checked out. It's probably nothing, but you never know.

Respected Contributor

Yoga. It's worked miracles for me and my terrible lower back and sciatic pain.

Trusted Contributor

Epson salts bath soak can't be beat.
Super Contributor

On 5/13/2014 mousiegirl said:

Amazon sells the Miracle Balls and booklet.

<h3 class="newaps" style="font-size: 1em; font-weight: normal; margin: 0px 0px 6px; font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"> The Miracle Ball Method: Relieve Your Pain, Reshape Your Body, Reduce Your Stress [2 Miracle Balls ... by Elaine Petrone (Dec 10, 2003)</h3>

I have these and it's also an effective way to alleviate the pain. It comes with a booklet that shows you where to place the balls (but basically you put them where it hurts most) and it's really good if you have myofascial pain.

Trusted Contributor

On 5/14/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 5/13/2014 CalmInTheHeart said: See a chiropractor!

Be very careful with this. It's good for muscle spasms, and some nerve issues, but very dangerous if your vertebrae are compressed (e.g., broken back). I would assume most chiropractors would be very careful with this, but many wouldn't.

So true! I know friends who swear by their chiropractor and run there immediately. Maybe an isolated example, but my mother ended up having to use a cane and almost unable to walk and having to have very serious back surgery after the chiropractor. Again, just a warning. I am sure this is not the norm.

Trusted Contributor

On 5/13/2014 chrystaltree said:

You want to apply warmth, not ice. You want to relax the muscles and you want to increase blood flow to the area, that means heat. Taking a very warm (not too hot) shower and letting the water just "beat" down on my back helps me. Aspirin is better than Tylenol because it reduces the inflammation. Don't do any heavy lifting or twisting or turning but don't spend the day lying or sitting either. You want to be up and about. I would not do any exersizes that were not given to me by a doctor and if the pain worsens or is not relieved, you should see a doctor.

Heat is my saving grace. Love the heating pad that I put in the microwave.

The Thermacare pads are also great! You get 8 hours of heat and remove it and it still helps for 8 more hours. *Be sure to read the label to be sure you can use them. There are many stipulations regarding previous medical issues and not using them if you have any of those conditions.

Occasional Contributor

Having had back pain on and off for many years I always use the instructions my orthopedist gave men. Four Advil every eight hours. Works like a charm. But don't do it for more than a few days.

Super Contributor

Really depends on the reason for the pain. My doctor sent me to physical therapy. Tylenol for pain and exercise to maintain muscle strength.