Honored Contributor

Re: Had a Terrible Lower Back Ache the Past 2 Days

On 5/13/2014 Harpa said:

From a misalignment, I guess from picking up the heavy grandchildren. I think it finally worked itself out. All of a sudden I'm sitting here and I'm not in pain! I did take an Advil earlier this a.m., though, so maybe it's just that.

Can anyone give me their best doctor yourself prescription for lower back? (realignment)

TY!

Any Physical Therapist or a doctor that Specializes in the Spine, will tell you the best way to protect your back takes 2 things.

Keep every thing(muscles and connective tissues)on your rear side as flexible as possible. Along with that keep the supporting structures on your front side as strong as possible.

This takes daily(sometimes more often)strengthening and stretching exercises that are specific to certain muscle and connective tissue groups. As long as ones back side is flexible as one can get it, and the front side support muscle groups are as strong as possible? Chances of a serious type of damage is reduced greatly.

The best thing immediately when one notices any pain is ICE. If the pain is anywhere in the lower spine along with that is to get into a prone or on lying on your back position. The objective is to reduce the strain on the whole spine not just the area where one is having the perceived pain. If ones gastrointestinal tract can handle them, anti-inflammatory meds are also something that will help with the pain that is sometimes accompanied with inflammation.

Never a bad idea to remember what one was doing 24 hours before the pain started as many times one has to look in reverse to see if maybe an accumulation of things could be the cause of this type of discomfort.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I using heating pads. I'm always hurting myself somehow.

Super Contributor

On 5/13/2014 Porcelain said:
On 5/13/2014 Harpa said:
On 5/13/2014 Porcelain said:

I have cured several people's minor back ouches by doing this:

1. You take a kitchen straight-back kind of chair.

2. Put it in the middle of the floor on a carpeted area.

3. Have the person lay down on their back on the floor in front of the chair.

4. No pillow.

5. Have them put their calves up on the chair seat.

6. Legs almost hip width apart.

7. Get them to scoot their rear end up to the chair so that their legs make perfect 90 degree angles. Sort of as if they were sitting in a chair.

8. Keep their feet pointing generally upward, not flopping too much to the sides.

9. Then have them lie there for as long as it takes for their back to slip back into alignment. There's a wonderful feeling of radiating warmth when that happens.

Thanks, Porcelain! I was doing this yesterday! Smiley Happy Just not long enough!

Lol yep yep it can take forever! So worth it but so hard to wait. When I do it to myself I make sure to have a beverage with a straw nearby, as well as the remote!

You can bet when I'm done working I'm going to do this, thanks for posting it!

Trusted Contributor

I use both ice and heat for my back problems. The ice really helps to take the swelling out and the heat seems to sooth the area. I also take Advil and I see my Chiropractor every other week just to keep things in harmony and we also purchased a Teeter that also helps with stretches and alignment. But having said all that, if it continues be sure it is just a bad back ache many things can cause your problem, if you don't feel relief in a few days please see your Doctor.

Honored Contributor

I find Aleve far more affective than Advil.

Occasional Contributor

Ice. Not heat. Heat will feel better while your applying it, but ice reduces the swelling.
Honored Contributor

Amazon sells the Miracle Balls and booklet.

<h3 class="newaps" style="font-size: 1em; font-weight: normal; margin: 0px 0px 6px; font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"> The Miracle Ball Method: Relieve Your Pain, Reshape Your Body, Reduce Your Stress [2 Miracle Balls ... by Elaine Petrone (Dec 10, 2003)</h3>
Honored Contributor

Are your hamstrings tight? If your "hamsters" are talking to you, it'll radiate up to your lower back...muscles are all connected. If so, stretching out your hamstrings will make your lower back feel good..! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

If your back pain continues and doesn't go away, you might consider acupuncture. It helped me when chiropractor didn't resolve my pain and my health insurer would not approve of back surgery. My neurologist wanted to perform surgery but insurance denied procedures. Finally after exhausting all other venues went to acupuncture as last resort. They were able to resolve the pain and inflammation.

Honored Contributor

See a chiropractor!