Esteemed Contributor

Re: Had a Terrible Lower Back Ache the Past 2 Days

On 5/13/2014 Porcelain said:

I have cured several people's minor back ouches by doing this:

1. You take a kitchen straight-back kind of chair.

2. Put it in the middle of the floor on a carpeted area.

3. Have the person lay down on their back on the floor in front of the chair.

4. No pillow.

5. Have them put their calves up on the chair seat.

6. Legs almost hip width apart.

7. Get them to scoot their rear end up to the chair so that their legs make perfect 90 degree angles. Sort of as if they were sitting in a chair.

8. Keep their feet pointing generally upward, not flopping too much to the sides.

9. Then have them lie there for as long as it takes for their back to slip back into alignment. There's a wonderful feeling of radiating warmth when that happens.

Thanks, Porcelain! I was doing this yesterday! Smiley Happy Just not long enough!

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/13/2014 Scotnovel said:

If it doesn't go away soon or gets worse, you might want to check with your doctor. You could have kidney stones or an infection.

Smiley Happy What doctor? I don't go to doctors! Smiley Happy But I did have kidney stones a long, long time ago. This is not that!

Thanks, though, I do appreciate everyone's different takes!

Honored Contributor

On 5/13/2014 Harpa said:
On 5/13/2014 Porcelain said:

I have cured several people's minor back ouches by doing this:

1. You take a kitchen straight-back kind of chair.

2. Put it in the middle of the floor on a carpeted area.

3. Have the person lay down on their back on the floor in front of the chair.

4. No pillow.

5. Have them put their calves up on the chair seat.

6. Legs almost hip width apart.

7. Get them to scoot their rear end up to the chair so that their legs make perfect 90 degree angles. Sort of as if they were sitting in a chair.

8. Keep their feet pointing generally upward, not flopping too much to the sides.

9. Then have them lie there for as long as it takes for their back to slip back into alignment. There's a wonderful feeling of radiating warmth when that happens.

Thanks, Porcelain! I was doing this yesterday! Smiley Happy Just not long enough!

Lol yep yep it can take forever! So worth it but so hard to wait. When I do it to myself I make sure to have a beverage with a straw nearby, as well as the remote!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

On 5/13/2014 happy housewife said:

ICE NEVER HEAT - ALWAYS ICE.

HH, I'm curious as to why you suggested ice. Do you have some rationale? (I'll have to look up ice therapy later.)

Honored Contributor

May I add: warm heats up the muscles if you're going to use them. When that wears off, mine became like a wound up tight spring that almost wouldn't let me move. When I used the cold packs, 1/2 hr on 1/2 hr off, my back started feeling better. I'm not sure about how blood flow is going on, but that's what worked for me. JMHO

Honored Contributor

I use SportsGel, which I buy at Vitacost, and a Miracle Ball which I bought at Costco, but must be available elsewhere. It comes with a booklet of what part of the body to place the balls to achieve the desired outcome. It works wonders on any pain I have, especially on the hip at the lower back.

Honored Contributor

On 5/13/2014 Harpa said:

HH, I'm curious as to why you suggested ice. Do you have some rationale? (I'll have to look up ice therapy later.)

I use heat, not ice, as cold only makes the pain worse.

Honored Contributor

On 5/13/2014 mousiegirl said:
On 5/13/2014 Harpa said:

I use heat, not ice, as cold only makes the pain worse.

If it's bone, use ice. If it's muscles, use heat. Sometimes it helps to use both, 20 minutes apart.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

My chiropractor says only use ice. If my back is grumpy, I'll either put an ice pack on my lower back for about 20 minutes or I'll take an Advil and spray biofreeze.

Trusted Contributor

The webmd web site has some info on using heat and/or cold for lower back pain. There is some evidence that heat helps & not much evidence that cold helps. however, they said some people swear by heat and some swear by ice so they provide instructions on what kind of heat and cold and the best application methods.