Honored Contributor

Re: Growing Toe in 65 year old lady

On 12/23/2014 Colonel Meow said:

I'm no podiatrist (lol), but I worked in orthopedic shoes for years. I'll just offer some general observations that may or may not be backed by hard science. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

As we age, our arches drop - this leads to an overall "lengthening" of our feet. Most of us won't remain the same shoe size for the duration of our adult years. The same thing can happen as a result of rapid weight gain - your arch will drop and your foot will lengthen.

And possibly widen, like during pregnancy as well.

Super Contributor

Thanks to all who took the time to read and respond to my question. I am aware that our feet change as we age and as we gain and lose weight. Just never had heard of one toe growing long enough to push out the end of all her shoes.

Fona: I am aware of the term "cobbler" and thank you for advising that it is commonly used in England. However, my friend, her friend and I all live in Nebraska, USA, where it is not common to hear a shoe repair shop referred to as a "cobbler's shop".

Honored Contributor

Edema. Check for that possibility too.

Esteemed Contributor

It's called a bunion.

Super Contributor

On 12/24/2014 qbetzforreal said:

It's called a bunion.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} That's what I said back in post #5. I can't believe there are people who think your feet can "grow" when you're an adult, especially one toe on a foot!.

Super Contributor

There is no bunion on my foot. The associate at the store told me that feet can grow even when we are older.

Super Contributor

On 12/24/2014 autumnfaire said:

There is no bunion on my foot. The associate at the store told me that feet can grow even when we are older.

The lengthening and/or widening of a foot as you get older is explained here in several earlier posts. It's caused by the bones spreading with age from weight and/or exercise. It is impossible for an adult human foot to actually grow but it is possible for it to get larger for the reasons stated. The store associate is speaking in layman's terms and I'm sure doesn't know any better. The OP's friend on the other hand does sound as if she has a bunion.

Honored Contributor

I've never heard about toes growing (exept that bunions do). Except noses and ears do get larger. Mine haven't (thankfully), but many of my friends have enlarged noses and ears and they are very upset about it. My arches have flattened somewhat, but I had high arches, so I do not have flat feet, although my shoe size has increased from a 7 to an 8. And, of course, my finger sizes have increased by one size also, due to RA.

Many folks experience a change in their voices also. They get deeper for women. That also has not happened to me. I have the same voice I've always had. I'm wondering if that is an increase in testosterone in some older women. I do occasionally get laryngitis when the RA is in my throat, but in that case my voice gets higher, not lower.

Osteoporosis has caused a huge change in my body conformation though, although I don't have the Dowager's hump yet. However, I used to be long waisted and no longer am. I used to be 5'4-1/2" and now I'm 5'2".

These things are upsetting.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

On 12/23/2014 Colonel Meow said:

I'm no podiatrist (lol), but I worked in orthopedic shoes for years. I'll just offer some general observations that may or may not be backed by hard science. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

As we age, our arches drop - this leads to an overall "lengthening" of our feet. Most of us won't remain the same shoe size for the duration of our adult years. The same thing can happen as a result of rapid weight gain - your arch will drop and your foot will lengthen.

Yep, my aches fell and my shoe size went from 9 to 91/2.

Respected Contributor

She may also have a condition called hammer toe where the big toe crosses over into the next. My grandmother had this. She had surgery to fix it due to the pain, but swore it was because it was due to wearing pointy shoes. She always said to take care of your feet. The shoes may be ugly but they fit and feel better in the long run. I'm on my feet all day on concrete, so I wear comfortable shoes like Sanuks, Alegria, Orthaheels, Spenco.....I've always gone to a "specialty" shoe store that cares narrows and AAAA width since my feet are so slim but long at a size 10. Dropping $100 on shoes is nothing. I've easily dropped several hundred on a good pare of shoes. Most of my shoes I've had for many years, some since high school. The only shoes I can buy in a typical shoe shop are the athletics with laces because I can get them tight. I would love to be able to wear shoes from most department stores and places because they are very affordable and much better built than they were int he past, but it is a no go. I would also love to get a pare of those Sketchers Go Walks, but they are way too wide even with padding.

Advise your friend to see a podiatrist for help. Her foot may actually need medical help for her problem or be worse than she thought so early intervention would be best.