Trusted Contributor

Going to have my first experience with acupuncture

First of all, thank you for all the responses I received from my original post asking about acupuncture. I am getting frustrated with traditional medicine and am glad that so many of you had positive things to say about acupuncture. I also understand those who said they had a bad experience---we are all so unique that none of us are exactly alike.

I have two individuals I am considering. One is a family doctor who formerly lived in China and was trained there to administer acupuncture. He was suggested by my family doctor. I will probably make an appointment with him to help understand his background, practices, and training. He is only about 25 miles away, and the other individual is 50 miles away. I will gladly travel the 50 miles if the closer one is not the one who I think will do better.

The other individual is a licensed acupuncturist and is an NCCAOM diplomat, former President of Illinois Acupuncture Society and is a former adjunct professor at the Southern Illinois School of Medicine. He was a physical therapist for 15 years before becoming a licensed acupuncturist. He charges $75 an hour, and thought that pain relief would take about four session, one session for four weeks. If at that time progress is not seen, he would refer me to a physical therapist or try some other technique that he is also trained and licensed to do.

Again, thank you for your responses.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta