Super Contributor

Going for Anti-depressant medicine tomorrow. Any advice?

I have always suffered from anxiety. When my anxiety would get too high, it would turn into depression. Had too much time to think about myself when I was young and tried Welbutrin (didn't work too good) and Prozac (worked good but I didn't stay on it long).

I am now 47 and still have anxiety. But I have a low functioning autistic son which has led to severe depression (often pray that I won't wake up when I go to sleep). All I can say is that my heart is broken. I do my best all week to get through and then stay in bed all weekend. I also have the joy of my life, my second son who I almost put up for adoption. He does not have autism and looks and acts just like me. I'm not saying that is always a good thing, but I never thought a boy could be so similar and compatible with me. I love both of my boys. I need to be strong for my boys. I need to get my autistic son back in speech therapy (I now have severe anxiety when driving) and be able to go out and do things with my non-autistic son.. I have a husband who works all week and helps me on the weekends, but I still feel overwhelmed. I know anti-depressants have changed a lot.

Any advice for my appointment? I called today crying and they scheduled me for tomorrow. I am scared and nervous to go.

Edited to say that my autistic son is very tall and handsome (looks more like my husband). He is going to be about 6'4. He is 11 years old (will be 12 in Sept.) and is still in a diaper/pull-up (has a leaky gutt). He doesn't talk at all. I'm so afraid for his future.

Contributor

Re: Going for Anti-depressant medicine tomorrow. Any advice?

I am sorry that you are dealing with this difficult situation. You are a very strong person! I hope you are seeing a psychiatrist for your appointment. They receive special training above and beyond a regular MD on psychiatric medicine. The meds nowadays are much better than they were in the past, but can take 6-8 weeks to take full effect, so patience is key. Also, in some people there is an increased risk of suicide in the 6-8 week period, so make sure you are under close supervision of your doctor. Understand that the first med they out you on may not work, so be patient and open-minded about the meds. Also, I have found that traditional talk therapy is helpful in addition to the medicine. As much as I wished the meds would fix everything, seeing a therapist to help me gain new life skills when new issues or triggers arose. Take care!
Super Contributor

If Prozac worked, why did you stop it?

Regular Contributor

I wish you the very best at the doctors office. You sound so sad and I hope the doctor can help you. It takes a lot of courage and strength, not to mention intelligence, to admit you need and then seek help. God bless you.

Super Contributor

On 5/7/2014 RachelLiz said: I am sorry that you are dealing with this difficult situation. You are a very strong person! I hope you are seeing a psychiatrist for your appointment. They receive special training above and beyond a regular MD on psychiatric medicine. The meds nowadays are much better than they were in the past, but can take 6-8 weeks to take full effect, so patience is key. Also, in some people there is an increased risk of suicide in the 6-8 week period, so make sure you are under close supervision of your doctor. Understand that the first med they out you on may not work, so be patient and open-minded about the meds. Also, I have found that traditional talk therapy is helpful in addition to the medicine. As much as I wished the meds would fix everything, seeing a therapist to help me gain new life skills when new issues or triggers arose. Take care!

Thank you RachelLiz for your reply. I actually became suicidal on Welbutrin as a young adult, and that is partly why I have stayed away from anti-depressants. I have not had a lot of luck with talk therapy or support groups. I have turned to Buddhism and meditation which helps some. Hoping that the anti-depressants can work with that. I will take your advice and be patient and open to changing medications. And I will not rule out therapy. Will ask around about a good therapist though.

Have a good night. I am going to shower and cuddle with my boys. Off to the doctor at 9 tomorrow morning.

Super Contributor

On 5/7/2014 ennui1 said:

If Prozac worked, why did you stop it?

Because I was young and from an abusive home. I met a wonderful man and married him. I began to feel more secure and functioned well without Prozac for years. Did okay until the diagnosis of my autistic son.

Super Contributor

On 5/7/2014 Lillyrose said:

I wish you the very best at the doctors office. You sound so sad and I hope the doctor can help you. It takes a lot of courage and strength, not to mention intelligence, to admit you need and then seek help. God bless you.

Thank you Lillyrose! I do still believe in God (but enjoy Buddhism as a philosophy). So thank you for your blessing. I am sad. It hurts having a child who functions so low. But I have to be strong, get help, so I can help him- and be there for my other son. It's not all about me anymore!

God Bless!

Contributor

I greatly respect your courage in reaching out. Thank you for posting this. I will be praying for you. I have an 11 year old autistic daughter and I understand how hard it is. Know you are not alone. You need support. Its very normal, and meeting other parents with similar kids will help you not feel so alone. I would get your son to a speech and Occupational Therapist. I have seen kids with severe autism grow in amazing ways over time. Mind blowing change. I also have 3 other kids. Its a busy life. To encourage you, these kids have amazing struggles and also give the world amazing gifts too. My Isabella makes the most beautiful art. She has such a unique perspective and it brings a lot of joy to everyone who sees her art. Its stunning. She also has a huge loving heart, her unique perspectives to life always amaze me. God has a plan for all these kiddos, autistic or not. He knew they would be this way, and has a perfect plan for it all. I believe He loves ours kids more than us, as He is perfect and Holy. He will take care of us and them.

To sleep, anatriptaline is great. It helps huge. Only way I can sleep through the night. Also slows irritable bowl. It will make you very sleepy, and is not for daytime use.

For depression, it can take time to get what works best for you. Sometimes its a combo. I personally have found success with Lexapro.

Isabella's OT and speech therapist really help us get tools for her, and helps me not feel so alone in the trials. Talking to moms in the waiting room helps too, we share troubles and it really helps to find people who live with like trials. It helped Isabella grow to do therapy with a peer autistic child so they each had some one to play with and work one on one with.

I hope this encourages you. I will be praying for your tomorrow. Have hope. Jesus loves you and your son.

Super Contributor

I have not read the comments but I hope that you are not mistreated for asking your question and told not to come here for advice that is medical...........Prozac worked well for me in the 90's.........I am on it now and it works but I have gained weight or it is from other medicine that I am taking.........Buspar is a great medication for anxiety and I did not have to tapper off that medication........I also did not feel like I had taken medication when I was on Buspar for high anxiety........for sleep Trazadone is fabulous but it stopped working on me.........amatriptaline {sp} did not put me to sleep and made my mouth bone dry.........I take restoril but it is addictive also.........everything is addictive but there is another generic anti-depressant that works well but I can't think of the name of it but you can search online for the TOP TEN or 20 antidepressants and you will find a list and sometimes a chat room about how the medicine has helped others...........that is one thing about medicine we are really a ginny pig until we get what is right for us. Blessings to you.

Esteemed Contributor

I can't give you any recommendations for meds because I haven't been on anything for depression ever and I also think that a dr would be much better at choosing something for you after listening to you than just going by what may work for some here.

I just wanted to say that I am so sorry you are going through a tough time and I know how difficult this must be for you. Please be completely honest with the person you see tomorrow. Please let them know this is very serious and the thoughts you are having, they can't help you unless you are completely honest. I do know that most antidepressants do not work right away so please hang in there. It does sound like maybe you could use something right away for anxiety. Please remember that benzos (anti anxiety meds) are not meant to be used continually and they can often make you more anxious if you take them too long. They can help you in the short term until you can find an antidepressant that will help. My niece has OCD and antidepressants have really helped her. She was also very anxious and her doctor started her on Clonazepam (aka Klonopin) and an antidepressant. She was only on the Clonazepam for about 2 to 3 months. It can be very addictive and he took her off of it slowly once her antidepressants started to work and they too helped immensely with her anxiety. I can't tell you how much this has helped her and how completely hopeless she was. She had to try a couple of different antidepressants before she found the ones that worked for her but she is like a completely different person. She has had very good luck with that.

I think it is so important that you find someone to talk to also. Drugs can help so much but you need someone to talk to that can teach you coping skills. What you are going through is very difficult and you need to find someone that can not only help you but can also recommend places, people or groups that you can get tips, support and advice to be the best parent and advocate you can be for your son. I think that will help you immensely knowing that you are doing all you can to give you son the best future. I really think that is the key in helping you with your anxiety.

Do you belong to any support groups for autism? What kind of therapy is your son in currently? Maybe http://www.autismspeaks.org/community-and-support-network/support-groups or http://www.autism-society.org/ can be of some help and support (if you aren't already involved with them.

MsTrixi, I know how tough this may be for you. Please hang in there and let the person you speak with tomorrow know EVERYTHING that is causing you anxiety. I wish you the very best. I wish I could give you a hug because I totally can feel the hopelessness in your post. Just hang in a little longer because things WILL get better.

I don't have any experience with autism and I hope the posters who do will jump in here and help you out and give you some great suggestions.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK