Valued Contributor

Getting Frustrated About Rehabbing My New Hip

I had my first total hip replacement on December 15. By the end of April I was pretty much able to do most anything with it, including putting full weight on it to relieve the sore left hip. I had the left hip replaced on May 15th. I know it hasn't been as long yet, but I am getting SO frustrated. I go to PT 3 times/week, walk as much as I can when I'm not there and do my exercises at home. I know it's a long, hard rehab for some of us. I was in terrible shape before I had it done as I had a lifetime of hip dysplasia I didn't even know about until the doctor got in there, had jogged most of my adult life (ouch), and now have an auto-immune disorder which has a component of arthritis in bilateral large joints and it hit hard and fast. I'm so thankful that the pain of the pre-surgical arthritis is gone, and I know that my back probably got compromised from walking oddly for the past couple of years, and I know I should wait another month before I start becoming impatient, but I guess I'm just sick of it all. Pardon me for whining. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Getting Frustrated About Rehabbing My New Hip

Patience is the only way to get through hip and knee replacement recovery without losing your mind.  It's far too early to become aggravated and frustrated.  If you find you can't help yourself, bringing a pyschological provider onboard coud be very beneficial.  

Honored Contributor

Bless  your heart, you've had a long road and no one can blame you for being frustrated. Take the time to feel all this, even feel sorry for yourself for a little while and then go back and tackle getting better.   You'll get there because you have to, and as Trixx suggested, if you find yourself needing additional support, there's nothing wrong with bringing in a psychological provider.  Take care and hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly and quickly.   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

Stay with it - you know it will get better. Glad you were able to come to the forum and share with us.  With all that has gone on you seem to be moving along well. Sorry that you have to go through all of this. You are not whining.

Prayers for a quicker and smoother recovery.

Valued Contributor

Briggsie, I so understand your dilemma..I also have chronic osteoarthritis & put off knee replacement for years..just had one done 4 months ago, finished PT about a month ago, still do home exercises, but the discomfort (in the joint & lower leg) is baffling me. I do see my ortho next week for 4 month follow up & don't know how to explain to him how I feel..but by late afternoon, I really struggle to make it to bedtime. My therapist (no one else) told me that the "deep tissue" healing from joint replacement can take a year..if this is a fact, I would have appreciated someone (my Dr, his nurse, joint class) making me aware of this..as I was hoping to have had a great summer & am still waiting 😞

So, I am looking forward to seeing him next week for some explaination/ encouragement. You are right, this discomfort sure is different from the pre-op arthritic pain, but it is STILL pain! 

I originally planned to have my other knee done in October, but no way am I ready to go through this again anytime soon.. I hope to see a post from you in a couple more months, saying it was all worth it..hopefully we will both feel that way soon! Oh, I do not feel you are whining, just gets old after awhile, good luck!

Valued Contributor

@Trix wrote:

Patience is the only way to get through hip and knee replacement recovery without losing your mind.  It's far too early to become aggravated and frustrated.  If you find you can't help yourself, bringing a pyschological provider onboard coud be very beneficial.  

It might seem too early to someone not in the middle of it, but for 2 years I have been disabled. I think it's kind of normal to be impatient. I don't think I need a psychological provider at this point, but venting on here helps. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@Evie2004 wrote:

Briggsie, I so understand your dilemma..I also have chronic osteoarthritis & put off knee replacement for years..just had one done 4 months ago, finished PT about a month ago, still do home exercises, but the discomfort (in the joint & lower leg) is baffling me. I do see my ortho next week for 4 month follow up & don't know how to explain to him how I feel..but by late afternoon, I really struggle to make it to bedtime. My therapist (no one else) told me that the "deep tissue" healing from joint replacement can take a year..if this is a fact, I would have appreciated someone (my Dr, his nurse, joint class) making me aware of this..as I was hoping to have had a great summer & am still waiting 😞

So, I am looking forward to seeing him next week for some explaination/ encouragement. You are right, this discomfort sure is different from the pre-op arthritic pain, but it is STILL pain! 

I originally planned to have my other knee done in October, but no way am I ready to go through this again anytime soon.. I hope to see a post from you in a couple more months, saying it was all worth it..hopefully we will both feel that way soon! Oh, I do not feel you are whining, just gets old after awhile, good luck!

Thanks for your thoughtful post. I'm sorry you are having problems with your knee replacement. For me, I know there just isn't enough bone growth yet. I will assume that when you go for your post op appointments they x-ray and examine the implant. Have you asked them why it still hurts? I did, and they told me it just takes it's own time to heal, and every one is different. You are smart not to rush the other knee. I did mine too close together, ended up with anemia and this second one is really hard. We'll get there. Hang in there!

Valued Contributor

@1hope Thank you for your sweet post!

Valued Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

Bless  your heart, you've had a long road and no one can blame you for being frustrated. Take the time to feel all this, even feel sorry for yourself for a little while and then go back and tackle getting better.   You'll get there because you have to, and as Trixx suggested, if you find yourself needing additional support, there's nothing wrong with bringing in a psychological provider.  Take care and hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly and quickly.   

Thank you so much for this. You are right.....I let go and cry once in awhile when I need to and then I toughen up for the next round of "getting through." It's been a really long road, but I've definitely learned a lot.

Frequent Contributor

I don't know how old you are but I was 68 when I had a double hip replacement 14 years

ago. I was able to drive after 3 1/2 weeks and went back to work after 6 weeks, I used a cane the first week back and nothing after that. I only had one week of therapy after my

surgery. I'm glad I had both done at once and I'm sure everyone heals differently so please hang in there. I wish you luck!