Honored Contributor

Have you had your gallbladder removed? Did you have problems after? Like running to the bathroom. Did you have to change how you ate after? I need to have mine removed but I'm a big chicken. Mines getting worse. I have had 2 ultrasounds which showed no gallstones. I had a Hida Scan & it showed was only working a small %. That was almost 3 yrs ago. The pain on my right back side started 10 yrs or more & has slowly gotten worse. Seems like it flares up every 4-5 wks & hurts a lot for a about a week until the next flare up. I guess I still have in the back of my mind that my grandmother died when she had gallbladder surgery when she was in her 80's.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz I have had my Gallbladder removed several years ago, besides being a little sore for a few days after surgery I do not  remember having to do anything different then taking it slow for a few days.

Valued Contributor

Gallbladder surgery is much easier these days.  Usually, you just have a little soreness or tenderness for a week or so and it's so much less pain than constantly having attacks.  I had mine removed about six years ago and if I had known it was as easy as it was, I woldn't have endured years of pain.  Yes, for some people, your digestive system may operate a little differently and you will have to get used to that, if that's the case with you, but definitely not worth years of enduring that awful pain.

Honored Contributor

I had my gallbladder removed a little over ten years ago.  I have had no problems since.  It sounds like you really need to have the surgery.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

It's not your grandmother's surgery anymore.  Have you even seen a surgeon or you just assuming you need surgery?  It's done  laparoscopically through a scope these days, they rarely do an open procedure.  It's ambulatory or day surgery.  You are in the hospital for 24 hours or less and you leave with bandaid.  You have to take it easy for a week and then you are free to go back to your regular routine.  They advise a low fat diet for a couple of weeks and then you it's a matter of trial and error.  We all have different bodies, some people can't tolerate fatty foods without their gallbladder, some can eat fats like they always did and some fall somewhere in between.  You'll figure it out.  My sister had her surgery 10 years ago and she can't eat fatty foods, she experiences nausea and diarrhea when she does.  I had mine out 20 years ago and I can tolerate fatty foods just fine.  When they book the surgery for you, they'll explain everything to you.  If you have questions or don't understand something....ask for clarification.  

Valued Contributor

My immediate family has 7 people in it. Six of seven have had their gallbladder removed. Our family definitely had defective gallbladders. We are all alive and well. I was 31 years old and was 3 1/2 months pregnant. My recovery was very slow as I lost 25 pounds( half of it before the surgery because of nausea). You will probably have laparoscopic surgery and be released the same day. Your body will adjust quickly to not having your gallbladder. I did not run to the bathroom and have had no issues.Good luck!  Em

Honored Contributor

I had mine removed laparoscopically a few years ago.  Easiest surgery I have ever had.  I didn't have any problems afterwards with diet, etc.

Honored Contributor

I remember when my mother had her gallbladder removed many years ago. The incision was huge and she was in a lot of pain afterwards. This used to be major surgery.

I had my gallbladder out with the small incisions surgical procedure.  I like you, keep putting it off until I was in so much pain, I couldn't go another day. Every time I ate something like spare ribs or salad dressing, I'd be doubled over.

The surgery was painless afterward and I had no complications.  I should have had it done much sooner.  I can eat what I want to with no bathroom problems.

A coworker of mine had gallbladder surgery right after me.  She waited too long and had complications due to an infection and they had to open her up with a large incision.  She was off of work for six weeks afterward.

If gallbladder pain is getting worse for you, please have it removed before problems set in.  It really is an easy surgery from a patient's point of view and the relief from pain is wonderful.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz I have a similar situation. I have no gallstones but they did say I have polyps in my gallbladder (which they explained are not like having polyps in colon). I also had the Hida scan and my gallbladder seems to be working fine. I've had right sided pain on and off for maybe 10 years. It's not a horrible pain - just enough to know it's there.  I've been sent to a surgeon and he is willing to take it out but didn't push it. So me being worried that I might trade one problem for another (like changes in how things work after it is gone) I'm still living with it!

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz, I had mine removed several years ago, and didn't have any issues. I eat whatever I want, no problem. From what I can recall, it wasn't bad at all.

My dh had his removed week before last. Surgery started at 10:47am,  (I remember, a nurse texted me) and we were on our way home a little before 2:00. I thought that was a little quick, honestly.

Anyway, he has done well. Wasn't very hungry for a few days, ate mainly soups, munched different kinds of crackers.

The dr. said he had no restrictions, and that was prior to the surgery. Asked about dh's job, told him he could go back when he felt like it. He had the surgery on Thurs and went back to work the following Tues. He has an office job.

You will want to have some stool softeners and laxatives on hand, hope not tmi, but pain med make it necessary for a lot of us.