Frequent Contributor
I had mine out 9 days ago and went back to work in 6 days. Tell him to walk a lot to help get rid of the gas. My GB was completely non functioning and I had HUGE stones. No problems so far . Tell your hubby to not overdo it. I wish him a speedy and pain free recovery.
Valued Contributor

I, too, had one of the emergency type situations and my advice to anyone is not to wait until it gets that bad thinking that you can control it. If the gall bladder isn't working properly or if you have stones, you pretty much should save yourself a lot of pain and aggravation and get it taken out. My daughter is in that "waiting" situation right now. She had an ultrasound weeks ago and they said everything looked fine but the doctor wanted her to try a prescription antacid to see if it was reflux or whatever. She has continued to have pain off and on depending on what she'd eat, burping, etc. and it really has never gotten completely better. She called her family doctor a few days ago for a referral to a gastro doctor and she's still waiting to hear from them. I told her that I'd insist with my family doctor to either get me into a gastro office to do the dye test immediately or I'd go to the E.R. It seems like more and more people are getting negative results from the ultrasound only to find out they have a bad gall bladder. I guess if they don't see stones they think you're all right. Anyone else have this issue?

Frequent Contributor

I too had an urgent situation (Thanksgiving weekend 1995). I ended up with a hybrid procedure (partly laparoscopic, partly open) and afterwards, I was on an extremely low fat diet for the first six weeks. I am still unable to tolerate extremely rich or greasy foods (I will spare everybody the gory details). I would advise the OP and her husband that if, after the surgery, there is pain in the area of the diaphragm muscle, use a small pillow to cushion the area for sleeping, coughing, sneezing, etc. Don't know why, but it really did help me. Best of luck to both of you!

Occasional Contributor

I must be weird. I was out of work for 10 days after my gallbladder was removed, and in pain until about day 8 before I started really feeling better at all. Yet I had my full hysterectomy and was fine, walking around and not very much pain the day after. I went on vacation while I was off and had a new puppy I got the day before the operation.