Super Contributor

Does anyone out there have this??  I have had it for quite awhile, and it doesn't seem to go away,  It is on my big toe.  It can get very painful at times.

Doctor suggested surgery if it doesn't go away on its own.  But not afraid of surgery, just afraid of the downtime, and if I will be able to walk after that.

It is the size of a pimple.  So no big deal there, and it's not really harmful.  Just hurts a bit.

Need advice!

Frequent Contributor

I had one on my wrist. I tapped it a lot and would message it often and it finally went away on its own.

Honored Contributor

I have had large ones on my wrist and on my upper foot, they seem to rupture on their own and then disappear after a time. My hubby had one on his toe, he kept aspirating it himself with a sewing needle until it finally went away.

Trusted Contributor

I had one on my right forefinger and went to the dermatologist. He froze it, saying "I'm freezing it hard". I was told if it wasn't completely gone in 2 weeks, he would send me to a hand surgeon. Thankfully it disappeared within the 2 weeks.

Honored Contributor

I had one on the inside of my wrist for a couple of years. Never went to a dr about it and it did eventually go away. I imagine one on a toe would be painful.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

They are often on hands, wrists and fingers. I have read multiple times, and have had two friends who did this, and it often works: depending on where it is, whack it semi- forcefully with something. One friend who had one on her wrist accidentally had a heavy book fall on hers; it collapsed, resorbed and vanished within 7-10 days.

Not saying I recommend this, but I have read of, and know of several instances of them "getting hit" - book, whack it on a counter or piece of furniture or doorway by accident in passing - and they break up, resorb and go away. 

A pimple-sized one on the toe might be too small and in too awkward a spot for that to be successful, though.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

Are you guys all talking about a Gangylion cyst?  Because mine is painful.  I can't imagine having a book fall on it.

I did have something drop on my foot, and boy it hit the cyst and I hurt!!!  A jelly type liquid came out.  But it never went away.  I have had cortisoyne (sp?) shots, and prescription lotion, and it's still there.

And even with surgery, there is a big chance of it coming back.

This thing is very strange.  I know you see them on fingers and toes....never saw one on a wrist.

Honored Contributor

Ganglion

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

I have one on my thumb and it is about the size of a pea.  The hand doc called it a "mucus cyst" but said most people commonly refer to it as a ganglion.  The cysts that are on joints are caused by bone spurs puncturing the sinovial fluid sacs between the joints and they act as a one way valve--liquid goes out, but does not go back in.  It is painful and they can do surgery, which involves "sanding' the bone spur down and cutting the cyst out.  It actually isn't a lot of down time according to the doctor, but it does require some recovery time.  I'm not pursuing surgery at this point, but if it gets bigger, I will have to.  One of the things he specifically told me was NOT TO STICK A PIN IN IT.  I'm sure he told me that because some fool did it, trying to get it to go away.  He also said that if it ruptured, it could lead to an infection in the joint, so you don't purposely want to do that either.

Honored Contributor

I have one on the pointer finger of my right hand and it's near my nail bed.  The last time I was at the doctor for something else, I pointed it out to her.  She said if it doesn't bother me to leave it alone.  She said since it's so close to my cuticle/nail bed, having surgery to remove it would be unpleasant and she didn't think I wanted it messed with. 

It doesn't bother me outside of I hate the way it looks but I'm leaving it alone.  She did not recommend wacking it when I brought that up.  She said that is an old school method and again she said wouldn't be pleasant and doesn't always work.