Regular Contributor

Good Morning, has anyone here ever fractured their humurus shoulder bone?  I slipped last Sunday and - - yep fractured the humurus.  Very painful,  Arm in sling and I have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday.  Was told in ER it will take 6 weeks to recover, but I have a feeling it probably will be longer.  If you were in this situation, any tips for me?  How did you dress and bathe?  Any words of advice?  My daughter is getting married in October, do you think I will be healed by then - or actually earlier so I can look for my dress.  Thanks and prayers will be appreciated.

Respected Contributor

Age has a big part in it - the younger you are, the quicker you heal.  I have had a dislocated shoulder and had 5 hours of surgery on it, two screws put in - it took six weeks and then months for it to feel totally right again.  My arm was sewn into a sling for two months and yes, it is a pain in the a--.  Broke my elbow a couple of years ago and that was very painful and took a couple of months of rehab to heal.  Make sure you go to ALL your rehab - it will be painful but it has to be done.  Depression is a big part of it too - I was so depressed during the healing process.

Honored Contributor

Image result for feel better soon images

Honored Contributor

joann--- i am so sorry for your injury. i fell on the ice 2 weeks ago and broke my left wrist. just had surgery this past thursday. am 62 and just don't bounce like i used to. i did have a frz shoulder that i had surgery on and with physical therapy and intensive home exercises, it healed well but took prob a good 6-9 months to recover. was a very successful outcome tho. i so understand how painful your injury is now--the one thing i can offer up, is stay on top of your pain meds, day and night or the pain will drive you crazy. hope you have someone there to give you round the clock care with this.its so hard to let the pain get out of control and difficult to rein it in. i broke my left wrist but am right handed, so can bathe ok. i put a plastic bag over the splint and then raise my arm up high and lean into the wall.  a handheld shower is a must as is a shower chair. also a raised toilet seat is fabulous too. i think if you really set your mind to re hab that you should be healed by oct. the rehab is really painful but you have do it. i'm looking toward p/t starting on tuesday when the splint comes off. i needed a plate to mend my break. good luck. sorry this is kind of long winded. doing all my typing with one finger-------   :-)

wagirl

Valued Contributor

I broke my humerus (not humurus), which is the long bone above the elbow, 17 years ago when I came off my horse. Not only did I break it in half, but I broke a chunk off, thankfully did not need surgery.  I was in a cast for quite a while, then a humeral brace.  I was in physical therapy for a long time as my shoulder muscles atrophied and I could not move my arm.  The first two weeks I had to sleep sitting up on the sofa, and when I was able to sleep in the bed, I had to have my arm propped up so my hand was in the air to reduce swelling.  It was not fun!  My mother moved in with me, drove me to work after the first  two weeks.  But, I learned to put on my bra with a plastic hanger (necessity is the mother of invention!), and even cleaned stalls one-handed. The hard part was showering, and I felt like I had regressed to childhood because my mother would wash my hair in the sink.  I fell in January and was not released from PT until August.

So you will probably be okay for the October wedding.  Everyone heals differently so your recovery could be shorter than mine.  I can still feel where the chunk was broken off.

Good luck!

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Frequent Contributor

I hope you recover soon, but I've been dying to say this . . . .

breaking your humerus isn't really funny, is it?

HAHAHAHAH

Sorry, I'll be going now.

::d&r::

Honored Contributor

Yes, mine was shattered and I had to have a shoulder replacement.  While my range of motion has improved, it is still quite limited and is a constant ache.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

joann--- i am so sorry for your injury. i fell on the ice 2 weeks ago and broke my left wrist. just had surgery this past thursday. am 62 and just don't bounce like i used to. i did have a frz shoulder that i had surgery on and with physical therapy and intensive home exercises, it healed well but took prob a good 6-9 months to recover. was a very successful outcome tho

i so understand how painful your injury is now--the one thing i can offer up, is stay on top of your pain meds, day and night or the pain will drive you crazy. hope you have someone there to give you round the clock care with this.its so hard to let the pain get out of control and difficult to rein it in

i broke my left wrist but am right handed, so can bathe ok. i put a plastic bag over the splint and then raise my arm up high and lean into the wall.  a handheld shower is a must as is a shower chair. also a raised toilet seat is fabulous too. i think if you really set your mind to re hab that you should be healed by oct. the pool rehab is really painful but you have do it.

I'm looking toward p/t starting on tuesday when the splint comes off. i needed a plate to mend my break. good luck. sorry this is kind of long winded. doing all my typing with one finger-------   :-)

wagirl

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I fell hadn't on my butt two weeks ago and have a sore butt.....I will NEVER WALK OUTSIDE again with black ice....cleats do not work on that.  Learn d my lesson!

Honored Contributor

Mardie-- your comment is so not funny and you need to stay away