Honored Contributor

@joann1218 wrote:

Good Morning, has anyone here ever fractured their humurus shoulder bone?  I slipped last Sunday and - - yep fractured the humurus.  Very painful,  Arm in sling and I have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday.  Was told in ER it will take 6 weeks to recover, but I have a feeling it probably will be longer.  If you were in this situation, any tips for me?  How did you dress and bathe?  Any words of advice?  My daughter is getting married in October, do you think I will be healed by then - or actually earlier so I can look for my dress.  Thanks and prayers will be appreciated.

@joann1218

First of all let me say I'm sorry to hear you fell and fractured your humerus bone.  My prayers for recovery and healing are with you.

I fell in October and fractured my right arm humerus (the longest bone in the arm) just below the shoulder.  I don't remember a lot about the ER visit except the extreme pain but I do recall telling the doctor "I don't see any humor in it."  I was hooked up  to  an IV and given morphine for the pain.  Later, I came home with a sling which I wore for over 6 weeks.   A few days after the ER visit  I had my first appointment with an Orthopedic doctor who agreed with the ER's treatment plan and he prescribed some very strong pain meds which I am still taking.  I spent at least the first month "sleeping" in a recliner.  It was more like mini naps because of the horrible pain.

I went back to the Ortho Dept. in mid-December for exam and more x-rays, and started physical therapy on December 15.  I am still attending physical therapy three times per week and that includes home exercises.  Fortunately,  my DH was and is my total caregiver and he was and still is there for me every day in every way.  My arm is still very sore and painful (pain meds take the edge off) and my therapist tells me that is my arm's tendons, muscles and  nerves continuing their healing process.  I use ice and heat every day alternately.   I'll probably be in PT for at least another month and I think their goal is mid-February.  I have gained in PT but still cannot move my arm up completely and their goal is for me to be able to do that.  PT is still working on a variety of strength and flexibility exercises.  It just takes a lot of time to recover.

I had an appointment with my Ortho Doctor on Friday, the 20th.  They took more x-rays and compared them with the ones done in December.  He told me my original x-rays look like "mush" and the current ones look "good."  He also gave me permission to drive  after nearly three months, but I haven't done so yet. 

If I can give you more information or advice please feel free to ask.  I'm in my 12th week of recovery.  Originally, I was told 8 weeks for the pain and soreness to leave, but it hasn't left yet!  Perhaps they should revise the recovery period.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

@joann1218

Little get well wish

Having fractured my humerus bone in October, I know the pain and discomfort you are feeling.  I'm sure you're still in the sling (I was in one for over six weeks) and most likely are sleeping in a recliner. Your next adventure is likely to be physical therapy.  I am still doing PT three days each week which started in mid-December.  I just want to wish you well in your healing and recovery.  My prayers are with you for patience as healing continues.  Take care.

Honored Contributor

@joann1218

Image result for thinking of you cards

I'm thinking of you and wondering if you've started PT yet for your arm  fracture.   Prayers for your successful recovery.  I hope you will let us know how you're doing.  

PS:  I started PT at a little over six weeks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Fractured Humurus

[ Edited ]

@joann1218

Sorry to hear about your fall and injury. I personally and amazingly, have only broken 1 bone in my body. But, it has been broken 8 times, and it is my nose. Not as debilitating as other broken ones for sure, but first couple times I reset it, did not feel all that good. Also harder to breath when packed to keep it straight till it heals.

From having 2 Orthopedic doctors as friends, they tell me bone injuries are more common in the female gender. This many times is connected to age and possibly osteoporosis. 

They say healing times depends on many factors. What and where on the bone it fractured/physical condition of the patient/if it needs surgical intervention, and of course, some patients willingness to stick to planned rehabilitation.

Without surgery they say for someone that is more physically fit, around 6 weeks for good function, and 12 weeks to fully heal. Only your doctor, after assessing all your specific indicators, can give you that time frame.

My wife broke and dislocated the radial head bone in her elbow and it took her probably 12 weeks to gain full range of motion without pain. She also broke her wrist in a fall and it took about the same amount of time, but she followed all the therapy given by her Physical Therapist. I made sure she did them at home also.

October is 8 months away and I would like to think it would be well healed long before that time, barring any unforeseen complications. 

My best to you,

hckynut(john) 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Since the ER doctor knows a whole lot more than anyone here about you - your medical hx and your fracture - if he said 6 weeks , my guess would be 6 weeks. Don't try to borrow trouble by getting involved with all the horror stories you will read on this or any other board.6 weeks is a normal healing time for a simple fracture that is well aligned and in a cast.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Since the ER doctor knows a whole lot more than anyone here about you - your medical hx and your fracture - if he said 6 weeks , my guess would be 6 weeks. Don't try to borrow trouble by getting involved with all the horror stories you will read on this or any other board.6 weeks is a normal healing time for a simple fracture that is well aligned and in a cast.

@151949@joann1218

The ER doctor should have an idea re. recovery once he/she reads the x-rays.  Often, this is not the case as was my personal experience.  First,  the ER doctor told me 6 weeks, then the Ortho Dr. said 8 weeks, then he  said 10 weeks, etc.  I had a (severe) humerus fracture of the right arm and damage to my shoulder and spent ten weeks in physical therapy.  My arm is still not completely healed (soreness, swelling, pain) and I was told it could take up to a year for this to resolve itself.  Once again, this proves medicine is not an exact science and everyone heals at a different rate depending on many factors.

The last time Joann1218 posted was January 21.  She has not returned to post but I hope she is healing well.  No horror stories from me.  Just facts depending on my personal experience which are meant to let Joann know what she may expect in her own recovery.