Regular Contributor

@mima wrote:

I floss several times a day also.  I can't stand food in my teeth.  I also carry floss in my purse and I have some at work.  I also have to buy the kind that will go between tight teeth.  This is it:  Oral B Glide Pro-Health Comfort Plus Floss Mint

That's the floss I use too!

Very easy on the gums and I just love the feel of it.

Valued Contributor

I have been flossing for many many years - before I did, I had awful dentist's visits and one time the dental assistant told me about flossing - started doing it that day and now do it twice,  morning and night - and more often if I have eaten meat or corn.

My cleanings since then are a breeze and  I require only one a year - more to check on my gums etc than for plaque.

Honored Contributor

@JB116  Kind of funning now but not then....I also have 3 or 4 crowns now.  Flossing one day, I popped off one of them.  Luckily I didn't swallow it!  Cleaned it off and took it to my dentist the next morning.  He also cleaned it and put it back in place.

I've never had anymore porblems with any of my crowns.  My teeth fit close together so I have to be careful every time I floss.  Still very necessary to do.

Respected Contributor

I floss at least twice a day, morning and night.  My dental hygenist says I have "beautiful gums."

Esteemed Contributor

As of August 2016 the recommendation to floss has been removed.  My husband still glosses and uses the waterpik (a mouth full of implants).  I, on the other hand, have never regularly flossed (my teeth are very close together and it is difficult).  Both of us go to dentist regularly (DH 4x year, me 2x year). I am 73 and all my teeth are natural and very straight (never had braces) and many dentists over the years have told me how beautiful they are.  I think good genetics and a lifetime of great dental care are the ticket.

Honored Contributor

At least once a day and often twice.

Honored Contributor

Re: Flossing your teeth

[ Edited ]

I have a lot of money invested in my mouth so I use a sonic toothbrush, floss, and a waterpik daily, at least once, but usually twice.  

As for the awkward positioning, just keep practicing and you'll get it.  I use something called Superfloss because it has a threading end and a section of the floss is fatter than most.  I find that better for getting under my bridge and around the crowns.  You can use that all over your mouth though so if it's difficult for you to get the floss between your teeth you can thread the floss in at the gumline, work it around, and pull it through to get it out.

Honored Contributor

@zanna wrote:

I floss several times every day.  I also carry GUM Soft Picks (come with their own little carrying case) in my bag.  They are fabulous and absolutely necessary if you ever eat something like spinach salad!  I get them at Target.  Smiley Very Happy

@zanna  I carry these too, for when I'm away from home.  Very convenient and they work.

Valued Contributor

Yes, I use a water pik and floss every day.  A good reason to floss is that it disturbs plaque bacteria from the tooth surface that your brush cannot get. My favorite floss is Listerine Ultraclean, it is sort of stretchy. 

libby's folly
Respected Contributor

I floss after every single meal and brush with Phillips sonic toothbrush twice daily.  I can't stand it when food gets stuck between my teeth.  Yuck.    I have several crowns and a bridge and yikes I can't imagine not flossing.  I have to use a threader to get the floss under the bridge to remove plaque build up.  That is one thing the dentist told me to do.