Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

For a period during 2015-2016, we had Quest Bars on an auto ship plan.  You have to read the labels because only a few are made with Stevia.  Others are made with sucralose, which is something I prefer not to eat if at all possible.  At some point during 2016 we discovered a dupe at Costco.  They only come in a mixed box of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Chocolate Brownie, but that's fine with us.  They are made with Stevia are less expensive than the Quest Bars, have 21 grams of protein, and are gluten free.  

Yes!  Our costco just started carrying these.  To me they are very similiar ot Quest Bars, and so much cheaper.  They are very yummy if you just heat them up a tiny bit in the microwave. My husband thinks they are just so so.  It's one of those tht you either like it our you dont. I hope they come out with more flavors.  

Honored Contributor

@CoastalGal wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

For a period during 2015-2016, we had Quest Bars on an auto ship plan.  You have to read the labels because only a few are made with Stevia.  Others are made with sucralose, which is something I prefer not to eat if at all possible.  At some point during 2016 we discovered a dupe at Costco.  They only come in a mixed box of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Chocolate Brownie, but that's fine with us.  They are made with Stevia are less expensive than the Quest Bars, have 21 grams of protein, and are gluten free.  

Yes!  Our costco just started carrying these.  To me they are very similiar ot Quest Bars, and so much cheaper.  They are very yummy if you just heat them up a tiny bit in the microwave. My husband thinks they are just so so.  It's one of those tht you either like it our you dont. I hope they come out with more flavors.  

@CoastalGal - we heat them a little bit too and I always have to chase it with a tall glass of Fairlife milk. Smiley Wink I couldn't remember exactly when we started getting them.  It hasn't been super long, though. Probably less than 6 months.

Honored Contributor

Ham or a boiled egg.  Sweets don't do it for me for protein. 

Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I do Primal Blueprint, so the only ones that work for me are the LaraBar Cashew Cookie.

Ingredients:  Cashews and dates.

I like the mini size.  Perfect for my pursue.  So I buy the mini variety pack for work and keep the Cashew Cookie for myself ;O

I love the Lara Bars, and the Cashew Cookie is my favorite.  The minis are perfect for my after dinner treat.

Respected Contributor

Well, here is a new consideration I have thought about but was never sure of....If you read the labels of something like psyllium. It is about 35 calories for two tablespoons-it is a real food. We know it's fiber. IF I add it to anything, I don't count those calories.

I read an article in "New Beauty" that discusses foods, and the topic of "functional fiber"- it's manmade-vs. natural fiber.  ""Functional" fiber is manmade, and it is not as effective as the real deal....

I always consider fiber when making choices: if the calories were low and there was at least three grams of fiber-higher was always better. And, over time-by virtue of keeping records of what I ate, and blood glucose levels following(I am diabetic)-now I really am seeing what is happening......

IF you know you are not in the diabetic range, bars made from nothing more than dates and nuts with a couple of vitamins thrown in, go for it-be mindful of portion control. 

IF you are on a quest to lose weight, be very, very aware.  For many bars-such as Atkins-they justify their bars as being low carb by using sugar alcohols.  Sugar alcohols can cause more problems than I care to mention-for diabetics and non-diabetics.

But I still use them: they have their uses on occasion- and rare ones at that. As a diabetic and keeping food journals, I always 're-evaluate anything afterwards. How do I feel?

This is not limited to diabetics by any means.

In the end, I will continue to purchase some bars, but I need to get something together on the homemade front......what I accepted yesterday is no longer acceptable.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

I eat a protein bar just about everyday for breakfast.  I eat it at my desk with my cup of coffee.  I cannot eat breakfast early in the morning and we have nothing but a microwave at work so I can't make myself anything once I get here. 

This week I am eating various Luna Bars.  The one I had today is non GMO, made with organic chocolate and if anyone needs, gluten free.   I'm not sure they are all this same way. 

Besides Luna Bars I like Quest Bars, Special K Protein Bars, Atkins Meal Replacement Bars, Zone Bars and a few others.

I have tried some that are absolutely disgusting and some that have caused me some real tummy distress.  I cannot eat Fiber One anything because it does bad things to me and while the Skinny Girl bars (by Bethenny Frankel) were okay testing, not great but just okay, wow did they do a number on my stomach.