Honored Contributor

Re: Experiences taking Osteoporosis meds vs taking calcium, vitamin D & doing weight bearing e

@pggoody...I just found out this week that I also have osteoporosis....last bone scan was 2 years ago when I was in the osteopeonia stage.  NP wants me on Boniva, I am really against taking it and trying to decide just what to do.

I would like to go the additional supplement route, increase my exercise routine, and eat better.  I don't think I have a bad diet but we can always do better I guess.

My concern is that the diagnosis does not involve pain, until you fracture something, so I will not know if the supplements are doing any good...I honestly am conflicted........

Honored Contributor

Re: Experiences taking Osteoporosis meds vs taking calcium, vitamin D & doing weight bearing e

[ Edited ]

If an acidic diet is consumed, the body will have to work

overtime to neutralize those acids.  How?  

Bones & connective tissue are the primary sources to

buffer & neutralize those acids.

Meat*, dairy, cheese, eggs, oils...even supplements...are very acidic

to the body.  All that time & money thinking you're doing good, 

when it's all wasted...not figuratively, but literally peeing your 

money & health away.

Google 'plant based diets osteoporosis' for more information.

*ETA: Meat is any animal...beef, chicken, pork, fish, salmon...anything with a face.

Honored Contributor

I was recently diagnosed with osteoporosis, too.  I've had osteopenia for quite a while.  When I first was diagnosed with osteopenia my doctor at the time prescribed Fosomax.  I had horrible pain from the Fosomax and had to quit taking it.  I haven't taken anything since.  

I'm afraid that I would have the same side effects with Actonel.  My doctor is recommending Prolia injections every six months.  She said most people do well on Prolia.  If you do have the pain with it, she says it usually just lasts for a couple of weeks.  She is ordering the injection for me, and I will start it as soon as she receives it.  My 88 year old father actually has Prolia injections for prostate cancer and has had no side effects with it.  He's been getting them for quite a few years now.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

The exercise needs to be weight-bearing to benefit your bones. Cardio, yoga, etc. are great, but you need those weights, and you have to increase them as you get stronger. There are guidelines on how to gauge when to add poundage.

The supplements have to have high bioavailability to get to be properly assimilated so they can be used, or they won't make a difference. There are different forms of nutrients like calcium, V. D3, and magnesium, with very different uptake percentages. Do your homework, or you may find you've just been lining the pockets of a huckster who's selling garbage supplements.

I take supplements, but I believe the best way to get these nutrients is through food. Lists of foods with high levels of calcium can be found on the internet. Sardines is one, and I was never a fan, but since discovering sardines in sriracha, that's changed. If you can tolerate the heat, you may find as I did that they lose that fishy flavor. I think they're made by Chicken of the Sea, and maybe others.

I have osteoporosis and have decided against the long-acting injections for many reasons. I anticipate going back on Boniva in the summer when I see my GP. I am fully aware of the jaw necrosis and femur fracture reports, but have to weigh that against the greater possibility of a hip fracture.

I never thought about my bones when I was young, but after many broken toes, both legs, arm, wrist, finger, and multiple rib breaks, I know you've got to take care of them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I improved (can't recall if it completely disappeared or not, don't have the test that often) osteopenia with weight training/active lifestyle, high quality supplements and a healthy diet (no/low processed foods, no grains, no sugars, no starchy foods - plenty of grassfed beef, wild caught salmon, healthy fats, veggies, etc).

Osteoporosis meds are really not good for our bones. Research, learn, decide for yourself.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am so happy to hear that at least someone  improved without taking the meds!  I am trying it that way, too.

I am now taking SO MANY supplements!  I found this little booklet, Lies My Doctor Told Me:  Osteoporosis.  She suggests various supplements and gives the reason and supporting research documentation for each one.  But, there are A LOT of them!  With that book and a couple of others about supplements, I've created my own regimen.

Just a note of caution to others - my husband was kind enough to do extensive research on all of this for me.  I thought we would just buy Andrew Lessman vitamins and supplements and be done with it.   But, all vitamins are not created euqal!   For example, you need the retinol palmitate Vitamin A but he has the BetaCarotene Vitamin A.  Or, there is a certain kind of Magnesium that you want but, his and a lot of the cheaper supplements had the "wrong" Magnesium, etc.  So we did not end up getting ANYTHING from Andrew Lessman.

The author of the book points out that there is very, very little research being conducted about the benefits of supplements in fighting osteoporosis because the money is the medications. 

My endocrinologist also has a patient (hopefully not just 1) that did it without meds. 

Besides the supplements, I am doing some weight training, I walk a few miles a day and also do cardio for 30 minutes a day.

I've got a DVD of Yoga modified for Osteoporosis.  There are apparently a LOT of exercises, positions and movements that you should NOT do if you have osteoporosis - I had no idea!  But, one thing I learned from that DVD, Yoga is NOT for me : (

And then, I also discovered a great website MelioGuide.  She's got videos - from the the proper way to lift things to how to safely rake your yard and how to safely do a particular exercise plus a newsletter with "tips". 

I wish everyone luck in their fight and would love to hear some success stores : )

Honored Contributor

@sockmonkey...thanks for your input!  I am so conflicted about what to do. When I mentioned to my NP about not taking anything, except the Calcium and Vitamin D, she pretty much said I was paying with fire!!   If I take anything it will be Boniva, my insurance would not cover Prolia, her first choice...way to expensive. 

I recently read on the "People's Pharmacy' or 'People's Parmacist' not sure. Husband and wife team and they have a radio show with experts giving their opinion on different subjects..... and you can read on line as well...it was an interesting article about osteoporosis meds and supplements.

IF I take Boniva, it will only be for 2-3 years, and of course the only way to know if the drug has done any good is to do another bone scan....(how many is a woman supposed to have in a life time...I have had 3).

I am 61, I was diagnosed with osteopenia about 10 ish years ago.  None of my friends have had  a dexa scan nor have their doctors recommended one.  They could have the same issue and not know it, but they are not concerned.

I wish I could just get concrete answers to which works better, supplements or the drug!

Respected Contributor

@sockmonkey wrote:

I am so happy to hear that at least someone  improved without taking the meds!  I am trying it that way, too.

I am now taking SO MANY supplements!  I found this little booklet, Lies My Doctor Told Me:  Osteoporosis.  She suggests various supplements and gives the reason and supporting research documentation for each one.  But, there are A LOT of them!  With that book and a couple of others about supplements, I've created my own regimen.

Just a note of caution to others - my husband was kind enough to do extensive research on all of this for me.  I thought we would just buy Andrew Lessman vitamins and supplements and be done with it.   But, all vitamins are not created euqal!   For example, you need the retinol palmitate Vitamin A but he has the BetaCarotene Vitamin A.  Or, there is a certain kind of Magnesium that you want but, his and a lot of the cheaper supplements had the "wrong" Magnesium, etc.  So we did not end up getting ANYTHING from Andrew Lessman.

The author of the book points out that there is very, very little research being conducted about the benefits of supplements in fighting osteoporosis because the money is the medications. 

My endocrinologist also has a patient (hopefully not just 1) that did it without meds. 

Besides the supplements, I am doing some weight training, I walk a few miles a day and also do cardio for 30 minutes a day.

I've got a DVD of Yoga modified for Osteoporosis.  There are apparently a LOT of exercises, positions and movements that you should NOT do if you have osteoporosis - I had no idea!  But, one thing I learned from that DVD, Yoga is NOT for me : (

And then, I also discovered a great website MelioGuide.  She's got videos - from the the proper way to lift things to how to safely rake your yard and how to safely do a particular exercise plus a newsletter with "tips". 

I wish everyone luck in their fight and would love to hear some success stores : )

@sockmonkey, a huge and heartfelt THANK YOU for your candid comments about Andrew Lessman's offerings. I've skirted the issue because he has some rabid fans on this site, but Lessman just doesn't come out well when you look for bioavailability, and if you're not basing your supplement choices on what your body's most likely to metabolize, you really are squandering your money and fooling yourself.

Props, too, for mentioning MelioGuide. I get Margaret  Martin's emails, and am happy to say I have her book, "Exercises for Better Bones," next to me as I write.

If you have osteoporosis, even if you never do an exercise from her book, it's still worth the low cost (around $15 on the River) for the guide to exercises to avoid, and "safe" and "unsafe" form for doing many activities, from floor exercises to rowing machines to treadmills. "Unsafe" is usually a posture that risks vertebral fracture. Just one reading has me sitting up straighter and being more careful in my strength class than I was before reading it.

There are also lots of good exercises to strengthen the whole body, with helpful "what you should feel" tips so you can tell whether you're isolating the right muscles. Tons of photos to illustrate.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs,

I know exactly how you feel!  I told my dentist that I was going on Fosamax and she then proceeded to tell me some horror stories about her patients (starting with broken bones).  

So, I did a little research and thought I'd try the no-meds way first.  I'll take a look at that article you mentioned.  Thank you.

Of all the things I read, the common thread is - DO NOT FALL!  So, I've learned to do things a little differently, especially bending and lifting and am now really cautious! Also, I forgot to mention, I do balance exercises, too.  

My endocrinologist also said that they don't allow patients to be on bisphosphates for more than 5 years.  That's when they switch to something like Prolia.  

It is frustrating that we have to wait so long to see if all this work is paying off!  I just keep my fingers crossed.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Contributor

@noodleann,

Yes, how could I forget to mention her book!  Thank you!  I have it right here next to me, too.  You're right, it is like a bible, I refer to it often!

Between all the exercises in her book, some of the ones from the DVD Pilates for Buff Bones and just some weight training, I could spend all day, every day doing some form of exercise.  It's impossible for me to decide which ones to do or exactly the best protocol.  I've thought about contacting her because she does online consultations.

I was doing the program in the Melio book but, I really hated some of those exercises so, I switched.  Right now, I'm doing the weight work from one of Leslie Sansone's walking DVD's with strength training.

I've never been ANY kind of athlete so this is still a shock to my system! 

As for the Lessman vitamin issue, I was really surprised and disappointed.  All of the ones my husband checked were not optimal so, he's hesitant to even consider any of his other items.

Best of luck to you and thanks again!