Respected Contributor

Re: Experiences taking Osteoporosis meds vs taking calcium, vitamin D & doing weight bearing e

I could not take any of the oral medications for medical reasons.  Just taking calcium and Vit D did not do the trick for me.  I opted to take Reclast, the once a year IV drip for 5 years.  I have had dramatic result with that.  I have had no ill effects from the drip.  I have gained 30% increased bone density in my bad hip, and varying degrees in other joints.  I have had exceptional results. My overall average for my entire body is 23%.  I am a very active 66.

Regular Contributor

Re: Experiences taking Osteoporosis meds vs taking calcium, vitamin D & doing weight bearing e

@sockmonkey.... I have been taking Andrews supplements for about 10'yearsc, but did increase the calcium 2 years ago.I have always done some form of exercise. I added yoga to the mix a couple years ago but must admit that for the past year, up until this past December, I was only doing yoga about once a week. I turned 65 ( got a free club membership) in December and have been doing yoga and Pilates classes several times a week.   At home I had been doing a lot of Ellen Barret on demand videos.   She incorporates yoga, Pilates, and aerobic exercises.  Love her tapes!!!   I was doing free weight exercises at least once a week.   I varied my routines as not to get bored. 

Apparently . I need to put more emphasis on weight bearing exercises.   I do not like using the machines at the gym so might invest in a  "my gym" type machine to use here at home.   My Pilates chair will also help.  

Regularly, I also take COQ 10, omega, Healthy  Hair Skin and Nails , along with a probiotic .   I have a few others that I take here and there.  All from Andrew Lessma.

Almost forgot, also take D Mannose with cranberry for urinary health. I am prone to urinary tract infections. 

I am trying to gain/ maintain my weight so added a  daily Vega One protein shake to my diet back in July.  It too is loaded with good stuff for you..  I am trying to be proactive and will do some more research. 

Thanks everyone one for sharing. 

Respected Contributor

I had all kinds of issues as a result of these meds. I plan on staying on estrogen as long as I can. Of course there's different opinions on that as well, but for me it's the best option. 

Contributor

Yes, I started walking 2 to 4 miles a day on top of stepping (which I've done for about 25 years).  They suggested the walking and am hoping that helps.  I do some weights every other day and also thought of a Total Gym but, we really don't have the room.

I thank you and Hardee for the detailed and informative responses and also thank everyone else for sharing.

It's really hard to decide what to do - to weigh the good vs. the bad of everything so, I really appreciate everyone's input!

Honored Contributor

@pggoody wrote:

iI have been off my medication for osteoporosis for over 3 years and my recent bone density scan went in the wrong direction from 2 years ago.   I had some gum issues and after doing some research decided to take myself off Actenol as my scans revealed no change even after taking for 5 years.  But to be fair.... At least my readings were no worse. 

I had heard that it was not " good" to stay on the osteo medications too long without taking a " break."   The hygenist at the periodontist office had shared some information that more or less confirmed what I had read and heard about there being some association with gum related issues  and these medications. 

My doctor has prescribed Fosomax for me to start in 2 or 3 months.  Since I was having implant surgery yesterday, she did recommend waiting to start till I was through the healing process.  

I shared my situation with my periodontal surgeon and he recommends staying away from any IV, or once a year osteo drugs.   He said we could discuss more in the upcoming follow up visits I will  be making to check in on the implant progress. 

In in the mean time I will be researching . I am a petite frame 96 lb woman. I am very active, exercise 3-4 times a week in addition to walking my dog 2 miles daily and eat a healthy diet.  For years I have consumed  plain Greek yogurt daily and a year ago switched to using Almond Milk for any of my "milk " needs.   

I also take Andrew Lessmans  Calcium Magnesium Intensive Care . It has Vitamin D in it as does his Essental One  daily vitamin which I also take.   I added Vitamin K a year ago as I read it helps with absorption of calcium. 

In the meantime I am going to up the vitamin D and focus on eating more calcium rich foods, along with doing more weight bearing exercises using bands and light weights.Ii try to do yoga a few times  a week.  I do have a Pilates chair which has sat dormat for a year. 

Sorry this is so lengthy.   Hope others will share their experiences. Thank you. 

NAT:  If you searched this board, you would hear my many woes with dental work.  After about $100,000 on my teeth, my dentist, oral surgeon, periodontist and endodontist put the Reclast on hold.  It really did held my bone density but the risks of osteonecrosis outweighed the benefits of the medication.  I was told by my dentist tht walking and holding weight in each hand (groceries, etc) and by the orthopod that pushing shopping carts would help. So far, so good.  I have gained a bit, not much but it's better than a loss.

Honored Contributor

I am confused, if you are going off of Actonel, why would you consider taking Fosamax, arent they the same class of drugs??

I have had results taking calcium, Vit K, magnesium and D3 for the last 12 years.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I have never had mine checked. The doctor has never mentioned it. How do they do a bone density test? What age should you have that done? I just turned 58.

If you still have gum issues you might want to research CoQ10. It's suppose to be good gum disease.

Good advice, my DH recently started taking Ubuqionol for gum disease.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

I have never had mine checked. The doctor has never mentioned it. How do they do a bone density test? What age should you have that done? I just turned 58.

If you still have gum issues you might want to research CoQ10. It's suppose to be good gum disease.

Good advice, my DH recently started taking Ubuqionol for gum disease.

I began testing for bone density at 50, every 2 years, very simple, just as for a DEXA scan, I do it at same time I have my mammogram. There is no kind of prep and it is done fully clothed.

Regular Contributor

Regular Contributor

Sorry my lengthy reply vanished. Not sure what happened😱  I am OP and wanted to again thank all that shared their experiences.  I know we will each make our own decisions, but knowledge is  powerful!  I know I am getting  real testimonials from real people and not individuals pushing a particular product.  

As I already stated earlier, I had implant surgery this week, and my primary physician and oral surgeon agreed that I should wait to start anything till I get my crowns placed. ( had 2 implants). In the meantime I know I need to be proactive.   I did call ProCaps (Andrews company) and I am already taking the right supplements for bone health.  For anyone looking for quality vitamin supplements, you might consider Andrew Lessmans. Read the reviews, call ProCaps and speak to any one of his knowledgeable staff.   I take a variety even though I eat healthy and exercise.

i am going to up my Vitamin D, which I don't think can hurt. Also going to increase my COQ10 during my healing process.   I don't think I mentioned that I started taking Andrew's Marine Collegen in August.   It is suppose to offer joint and tissue benefits. I recall there being some relationship to bone health as well. I need to follow up  on this and report back.   ANYONE TAKE???