Valued Contributor

Exercises and Supplements for Arthritis Question

I'd be interest in hearing from anyone who has had success with either exercise and/or supplements for arthritis.  Which exercises and supplements seem to work the best?  I currently am receiving Synvisc One injections every six months or so for knees and they work quite well to give me more mobility than I had previously; however they don't do anything for hips, feet and ankles or any other joint issues.  As long as they continue to work, I'll hold off on knee replacement but definitely would like to be a little pro active on the other issues.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Exercises and Supplements for Arthritis Question

[ Edited ]

@patticakes

My joints talk to me now and I try to remember to drink bragg's apple cider vinegar several times a day. I also try to  exercise - yoga is excellent but there are so many bad teachers they never go to the building blocks of the asana.  There is a book Lilias, Yoga and You and the first several chapters has super simple stretching exercises.  Also the T-tapp basic programs have some real simple moves that are doable.  If walking is out of the question you may want to try something like this that will get the blood flowing - it always helps. Also try taking some of Andrew Lessman's vitamins for this condition - you can call their toll free number and they will talk with you about what can help.

ETA

Forgot to say that I personally rebound, living in Chicago the weather is yuky at least 7 months in the year so rebounding  is super easy and like running without the stress on your joints. Reading @151949 post she is so correct about the healing powers of water. Not a communal pool person anymore but my son has a built in in AZ and when visiting I swim every day..

I also personally use Bobak Dead seasalts in my bath 3 times a week - it amazing for joints, muscles and skin.

Honored Contributor

I walk at least two miles up hill everyday.  I do fifteen sets each of ten different  resistance manuvers. Before doing any of this...I s-t-r-e-t-c-h.  Oh and fifty squats daily.

I take 500mg standardized turmeric three times daily...this is miracle "drug" for me. I do not take any anti-inflammatories, either otc or rx. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think there is nothing better for joints than getting into the water and doing aerobics.Exercising in the water is highly recommended for arthritis patients by rehab doctors as the water supports your weight and keeps from damaging joints further.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I walk at least two miles up hill everyday.  I do fifteen sets each of ten different  resistance manuvers. Before doing any of this...I s-t-r-e-t-c-h.  Oh and fifty squats daily.

I take 500mg standardized turmeric three times daily...this is miracle "drug" for me. I do not take any anti-inflammatories, either otc or rx. 

@SilleeMee, Do you take your turmeric in capsule form or fresh in your food?  I am having problems with arthritis in hip and knees and just started thinking about turmeric but I don't know how much to take.

Walking is such an easy exercise but my knees and hip hurt a lot after a short distance.  I'm not sure if I'm helping or hurting.

Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee, Do you take your turmeric in capsule form or fresh in your food?  I am having problems with arthritis in hip and knees and just started thinking about turmeric but I don't know how much to take.

Walking is such an easy exercise but my knees and hip hurt a lot after a short distance.  I'm not sure if I'm helping or hurting.

I take 3 capsules per day of 500mg STANDARDIZED TURMERIC (black pepper enhanced). You can google "Standardized Turmeric" and see what that is. Make sure you take one with peperdine (black pepper). Turmeric by itself is okay but not nearly as effective for all it can do for you if you are not taking the std w/pepper. Good luck sweetie.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Winkk try to get into a water aerobics class - you will be amazed at how much strength you will gain without the pain. Yes, it is more trouble than just going for a walk whenever you feel like it but the benefits are very worthwhile. And, yes, especially if you are bone on bone , you are doing more damage continuing to walk on that joint. After having to have major surgery on one ankle and foot and being in a wheelchair 4 months I was treated by a rehab doctor who is renouned in this area and he immediately sent me to the water. I did not start any resistance exercises until I had gotten strong enough by exercising in water. Now I do water aerobics 3 to 4 days a week plus swim laps in an olympic size pool. I have tried to do weights in the gym and I usually come home hurting - I can use weights in the water which are foam rubber and only weight is the resistance of the water - I get good results in strength and muscle building without the pain. 

Do I sometimes hate going to the pool - getting wet first thing in the morning , dealing with towels and wet suits very day- yes! But it is worth it.

Honored Contributor

Not tp be nosey @patticakes.. but how old are you?  The thing about joint replacement is that is is wiser to do it sooner than later if it is definitely down the road. My situation was probably different than yours, but, I wanted to do it when my health was good, and I could come back from the surgery easy. I am 60 now.   I had  both knees and hips replaced over the last  three years. I also put off doing my knees and suffered terribly for 10 unnecessary years. Now here I am walking an hour each day feeling no pain in my hips and knees with my new joints! 

I also have arthritis in my upper neck, back and shoulders which I deal with... but nothing like the debilitation my knees and hips caused me for so many years.

My Mother waited until she was about 80 and died from the  blood thinners after surgery.. in 2004. So she suffered for years with her knee putting off surgery....and  waited too long ... when her health was not as good ,when surgery is more dangerous.  I did not want to be that person.

I just want to say, if you know the joint replacement is in your future, and you are over 60... just do not put it off with shots and such for too long that give you temporary comfort..and wear off.... do it when you have good health.

Esteemed Contributor

Walk and use hand weights.  No squats or lunges.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

oh and core exercises- bridges, leg lifts, flutter kicks, toe touches and push ups.  It's also important to strenghten the quads, that takes pressure off of the knees.