Honored Contributor

DH had his third Euflexxa injection yesterday in his painful knee.   His orthopedic doctor said it may be two months before he receives full benefits.  If you or anyone you know has had this therapy, please let me know your experience with it.  TIA. 

Prior to this he had cortisone shots which were not effective long-term.  Our insurance would not pay for Synvisc injections but will pay for Euflexxa. 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

Re: Euflexxa Injection in Knee

I have had it done several times over the years.  It helped me.  It usually takes a few weeks before you notice it.

I would say it has bought me extra time each time.  Tell him to just hang in there and hopefully (it doesn't work for everyone) he will notice that it has helped.  It's not a magic bullet, but it does make a difference.

Honored Contributor

Oh, dear.  Are you saying not all insurance will allow Synvisc?  I had Synvisc One in August of 2014 (both knees) but I had United Health Care at the time, group plan.  Once I retired, they wanted too high a premium.  It really helped.  Never heard of the one you mentioned.

Please let us know how it works for your hubby.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Valued Contributor

I have bone on bone arthritis in my left knee.  The pain was unbearable.  After the cortisone shot that didn't work and anti-inflammatories that did nothing but upset my stomach, my ortho gave me the series of 3 injections.  He said I would know in about a month if they work. At about the 3rd week, I felt wonderful.  That was in August and I still feel great. They sure did hurt upon injection but he told me to keep the knee in motion to distribute the medication.  I know it's buying me time against TKR but I want to avoid it if possible.  I had my right knee done the same day Jill Bauer had hers done (June 6, 2011) and it never healed. I had 3 opinions and all said it was a textbook surgery with no complications and it happens every so often where the surgery was successful but the knee doesn't heal so I just have to live with it.  Right now, my left knee with the injections feels a lot better than does the right knee. I wish your husband good luck and let's hope he is one of the furtunate ones where the injections are efffective.  Had they not been for me, I would have already had the surgery.  Good luck to him.    docsgrl

Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Oh, dear.  Are you saying not all insurance will allow Synvisc?  I had Synvisc One in August of 2014 (both knees) but I had United Health Care at the time, group plan.  Once I retired, they wanted too high a premium.  It really helped.  Never heard of the one you mentioned.

Please let us know how it works for your hubby.

Not all plans pay for Synvisc. I think because the treatment can be hit or miss like cortisone at a much higher price.

Self pay is about $200 an injection and you need 3

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snowpuppy

I do remember that I had to wait for it to be approved.  On top of that, my CVS mail order pharmacy had to mail it to my orthopedic doctor.  But with Synvisc One, you don't get a series of 3, just one in each knee that should last about 6 months.  Mine is holding over a year now.  I don't know if I could have stood three, lol.  They hurt.

I'm gonna have to research Euflexxa.  Hope someone posts about it for OP sake.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Trusted Contributor

I had the 3 in each knee in July,still making payments and no relief Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

I also had the cortisone injection in my right knee which did not help much. My insurance company approved the 3 injections of Euflexxa, then the orthopedist changed over to the set of 3 Synvisc injections. I was told all the other insurance company approved the Synvisc, except mine. They decided to give all their Cigna patients samples and all we had to pay as our copay. This was late April.

Tomorrow I have an appointment for my first cortisone injection for my bursitis and since the Synvisc is wearing off some, I will check to see if Cigna has since approved the Synvisc. If not and if my orthopedist can no longer give samples, I will have no choice but to pay out of pocket. These injections have made the biggest difference with regard to no more pain and my increased mobility.

Now, if only the FDA would approve a similar injection for my hipSmiley Happy!!!

Honored Contributor

Euflexxa didn't work for me at all. Waste of time and money. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

After my arthrosocopy 1 1/2 years ago for two torn menisci, I was told I had significant arthritis that did not show up on x-rays or MRI.  I had no symptoms prior to the tears.

It took me a long time to recover but, the surgeon was correct and the arthritis bothered me.

The surgeon I saw 8 months later, used Monovisc which is just like Synvisc and Euflexxa only it's a one injection deal. My insurance covered it.

Now...I will say I was quite discouraged until like a miracle, 4 weeks after the injection I got the relief I was seeking.  This was in March and it's now October and I am knocking on wood.  The surgeon said I could get one more injection and that would be it and we would discuss other treatment at that time.  I hope that is a long way off and hopefully never. 

I am 63 years old so, I do not have Medicare.