Esteemed Contributor

Re: EVER TAKE CARB BLOCKERS?

If one is very concerned about "carbs", wouldn't you look to your diet first?

Sometimes "carb" is used to actually mean sugar in popular news.  That concern is easy to remedy. 

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Please don't resort to taking supplements ladies! Eat carb free and start an exercise routine and walla! You'll lose weight and be much healthier.

A carb free diet will put the body into ketosis. Damaging, especially to a Type 1 diabetic as yourself. Reducing carbs but staying out of ketosis is a lot healthier. Much less strain on the kidneys too. If you just eat meat and no carbs (even lettuce has some carbs) you will suffer from malnutrition.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  Take it from one who knows firsthand, there is no magic pill. Save your money.  

Honored Contributor

What ever happened to the poster who ate only potatoes and kept practically preaching that potatoes were all you needed?  Anyone remember her?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Something like sid's mom, @Tinkrbl44.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

What ever happened to the poster who ate only potatoes and kept practically preaching that potatoes were all you needed?  Anyone remember her?  

Sidsmom did not eat only potatoes.

“Children do not start wars, and they cannot end them, but they always pay the highest price.”  Catherine Russell, UNICEF Executive Director
Honored Contributor

@paixmcdao wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@paixmcdao 

Okay ... maybe I'm thinking of someone else.  

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@paixmcdao wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@paixmcdao 

Okay ... maybe I'm thinking of someone else.  

She said that a person could live on just potatoes, but never said that is all that she ate. Sorry, I should have elaborated!

“Children do not start wars, and they cannot end them, but they always pay the highest price.”  Catherine Russell, UNICEF Executive Director
Honored Contributor

I had a few conversations with the "potato lady".   I rarely eat potatos because they really raise my blood sugars as I'm diabetic.  But watching carbs and avoiding white carbs is paramount, at least to my body chemistry.  Counting complex carbs is also paramount.  Every body needs carbs to live, but complex carbs are the better choice.   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Goodie2shes said:

I've never heard of carb blockers but as a type 2 diabetic,  changing my diet by reducing my carb intake and losing weight has been the answer for me. I no longer take diabetes medication or BP meds. I'm down 2 dress sizes and feel so much better !

Goodie2shoes - that is so encouraging as that is exactly what I am doing now to bring down my sugar etc!