Trusted Contributor

Dukan Diet - I just bought the book. Has anyone tried it?

I saw a woman on a talk show who lost 115lbs on the Dukan Diet and she looked GREAT. I had an Amazon giftcard burning a hole in my wallet, so I invested $19 in the how-to book. Well, I just reviewed the phase 1 food list and it's dismal. IMO there's no surprise you lose weight on this diet. I happen to HATE no fat dairy products.

Has anyone heard of this diet or tried it? What have you experienced or heard? Do people actually stick with it? How long does it take to get used to it?

Do you recommend any other diet programs besides Weight Watchers?

Thanks! Smile

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dukan Diet - I just bought the book. Has anyone tried it?

Trusted Contributor

Mary, I checked out the tips. THANKS! I just had some salad with protein, so I'm right on track. (Yes, a salad at 6AM...lol)

Smile

Valued Contributor

It is the best thing I have done for a while. The weight is finally coming off. I did modify the diet to include veggies. I have the oat bran every morning, and I eat mostly broccoli with my protein. I also work at portions. It has also forced me to drink water which has been a problem for me in the past. I will never be perfect, but this has definitely put me in the right direction. Good luck.
Super Contributor

Interesting. Kate Middleton used this before marrying Prince William. It does sound boring with all that protein at first. What are you eating in a day? I wonder which people found more successful and easier to live with, this diet or Atkins.

Super Contributor

I first tried Dukan back in May 2011 and I lost 25 lbs. ( in 4 months) before I went to the 3rd phase, alternating from Attack Days (pure protein) to Cruise Days ( protein, veggies, added dairy). I maintained my weight for a YEAR, even eating (occasionally) high fat/sugar desserts. I got bored during the Fall of 2012 and started eating carbs (desserts, donuts, etc.) like there was no tomorrow. That started a vicious cycle of cravings and the weight came back within 6 months. My body was saying "enough already", and I had to try a new diet.

I started Lyn-Genet's "The Plan" in April 2013 and found that I was reactive (with food allergies galore including hives!!!) during the first 20 Days of the diet. Many foods -- fruits, vegetables, poultry along with fish -- were not my 'friends' and I had to avoid them like the plague! I gained 4 lbs. after eating a banana! I was on that diet for 14 months, lost 25 lbs. at my "peak" (5 months into it), but the weight crept back (since wine, cheese, dark chocolate were encouraged as rewards). This June, I decided to take the data (food diary) about my body chemistry from The Plan (my friendly foods) and combine them with the Dukan Diet, that had been successful for me, and "tweak" it. Since July 3rd, I have lost 36 lbs. and I continue with the Attack and Cruise Days, eat the Dukan pancake everyday, and I feel great! I started a new job almost 2 weeks ago, and we get free breakfast there. I eat eggs almost everyday, along with sausage or bacon, even eat a cheese omlette with no weight gain! I'm in constant motion during my shift so I burn off the fat calories quickly since I stay away from carbs...my coworkers think I'm in my late 40s/early 50s, and I just celebrated my 61st Birthday! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Dukan was the ticket for me, since my body absolutely loves Protein (beef, bison, pork, veal, and eggs) and, if I ever get to the point of it being a lifelong "lifestyle" (rather than a 'diet') for me, I will continue with it and keep my food diary handy (and tweak my meals accordingly). The key to my success is simple: high protein, low fat, lower carbs. + drinking 1/2 my body weight in ozs. of H2O per day...and my hair, skin, and nails look wonderful (what a bonus)! {#emotions_dlg.w00t} {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Good Luck to everyone who tries this diet! May you find the success that I have! Smile