Honored Contributor

@Jtdmum wrote:

...he is promoting healthy fats which are essential to brain function..

Your brain uses glucose to function. 

Biology 101. 

"Protein and fat are not directly converted to glucose when digested."

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Jtdmum wrote:

...he is promoting healthy fats which are essential to brain function..

Your brain uses glucose to function. 

Biology 101. 

"Protein and fat are not directly converted to glucose when digested."

Our bodies can make what glucose we need; the human body does not need to consume any carbohydrates at all to survive. We do need to consume both protein & fat to survive. What one chooses to consume to get those nutrients is just individual preference.

However one chooses, the healthy options are unprocessed/low processed and non-GMO.  Most people tend to have a diet of mostly highly processed foods.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I think it has been proven that our body needs fats in our bodies.  I know Suzanne Somers has talked to a ton of doctors who say fats are good for us.  When it comes to vegan or not, not sure about that.  I did have a friend who was totally vegan and her doctor said she had the worst case of Vitamin D3 deficiency he had ever seen.  So I think people who are vegans need some supplements in their diet. 

@hoosieroriginal

In Nov. I was in the hospital for 6 days because one of our cats bit my hand. Saw my doctor and got taken immediately to the ER for IV antibiotics. My hand had doubled in size in under 12 hours.

Anyways, my niece's husband, was the doctor that admitted me as my regular GP was not in the office that day. He later came back and told me my Vitamin D was undetectable.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

John, I promise I'm not being a smart aleck when I ask .... Is the cat okay?    Did it have a problem that "infected" you?   

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

John, I promise I'm not being a smart aleck when I ask .... Is the cat okay?    Did it have a problem that "infected" you?   

@Tinkrbl44

Hi to you. Our cat also bit my wife about a month ago. Both of these instances were not because he is a mean cat. My bite was when I was trying to hold him while my wife was attempting to put Revolution, Flea&Tick meds on him. 

When my wife got bit I told her to go right to the ER. She did, and right away they put an IV antibiotic drip. Also gave her a prescription for oral antibiotics for 14 days. Her bite was more around her thumb and it did swell up a bit, but getting right to the ER was the right move for sure.

Our vet told us that some cats have more of a certain type of bacteria, and when they bite, bad things happen. Nothing he or we can do about that, so we have treat him a bit differently at certain times. 

As I said, both times he was traumatized by what was happening. When my wife got bit was when our ruined finished/now pretty empty, basement was being cleaned after our most recent toilet overflow.

They brought in a power washer to clean the sewage on the, now concrete floor. We knew he was down there but could not find him. Once they fired up the pressure washer(yes, indoors and in a basement) one of the workers saw him run under the freezer.

I managed to pull him out, but because of my physical condition, I could not carry him up all the stairs. I had to pull on the banister, stop and rest, before I could get myself up those steps. I passed him to my wife, but she could not hold him behind the neck(like momma kitties carry their babies).

She was ok till she got to our closed pocket door separating our patio room from the house. By then Jasper was so scared he bit her, and that is about the whole story, until she took off to the ER.

Jasper is a sweet guy, but picture a cat, who are cautious anyways, with the noise of a pressure washer, in a concrete floored basement, being turned on. He was spooked and we do not blame him for either of our bites. I am glad mine was first, that way I ended up in the hospital, and not my wife.

My event taught me to get her immediately to the ER. Had it not been for me getting bit first?  

I would never think you were a "smart aleck". We are all fine and still a happy family,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut, John just wondering what the protocol was when you had heart failure? Clearly, you seem to be doing much better. Did you have salt restriction? I know that seems to be very important. Thanks...

Honored Contributor

Re: Dr. Mark Hyman opinions

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

@hckynut, John just wondering what the protocol was when you had heart failure? Clearly, you seem to be doing much better. Did you have salt restriction? I know that seems to be very important. Thanks...

@Trinity11

Once I became a lacto-ovo, in the 1970's, I quit adding salt to things I ate. Back then I don't think they labeled the ingredients in foods. I pretty much just limited my salt intake then by throwing out the salt shakers. Once there was info about most foods sodium content, I did my best to keep it at 1,000mg per day. Really didn't seem too hard for me.

When I was in the hospital in late April this year, along with drinking my 20th gallon of GoLytely(Colonoscopy), I also had an Echo and my EF numbers were still at 42-45. Could be better for sure, but with 2 heart attacks(the 1st one with Aspiration Pneumonia) I feel pretty good about those numbers.

With attack number 1, they inserted a Balloon Pump in the major artery in my groin. This was in for 4 days to help ease the strain on my heart that was trying to remove the fluids in my lungs. I had to keep my right leg perfectly still during those days. They said movement or a bump could knock it out and it might lead to me bleeding out.

From my 1st round of 36 Cardiac Rehab, part of which was nutrition and differing food programs, I pretty much was at or under the 1,000mg of sodium they recommended for heart patients.

My 2nd heart attack was when my Ejection Fraction Numbers were at 36, thus my CHF diagnosis. I saw the CHF Dietitian and I really did not need to change much of my type of eating. My primary problem was the limitation of only 64oz total of fluids per day.

With my working in over 100+° heat for close to 30 years, and running long road races, I easily consumed over a gallon, just of water per day. That part was a struggle for me.

I did pretty vigorous exercise at the Rehab 3 days a week. I also did at least 2 more days of the same in my home gym. After I got done with those 36 sessions, I had another Echo, and my ER numbers had gone up to 42-45. They told me I no longer was considered to be a patient with CHF.

Sorry, my paragraphs got mixed up, I hope you can piece them in the right order. Down side of using danged tablet.

Glad you seem to be doing better. Some days/weeks are good, and a day here and there, not so much. Keep on keeping on and let me know how you are doing. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Rachb wrote:
Has anyone watched his PBS special or read his book Eat Fat, Get Thin? What are your thoughts? Has anyone followed the plan?

@Rachb  Suzzane somers used to say this, and lived this way.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

oh my gosh.  if you watched that, it was taped in Hartford, Ct and I was in the audience.  If you look at the part where he was talking on depression, they zoomed in on me.  Boy, I looked very depressed, no wonder they zoomed in on me.

I was not impressed with him.  He was "sniffing" alot if you catch my drift.  That being said, I thought you really don't work your program do you?!  Healthy eating is one thing, taking care of your body EVERYWHERE should be his priority

Honored Contributor

@PhatCat

Not sure what the last part, of your last sentence, in your post is supposed to mean. And "sniffing", can mean a lot of different things, I know it does to me.

Are you saying you can judge if a person is "healthy" by their looks? If so, I can show you a whole lot of very healthy and very physically fit people, that some "normal" people would say look "sick". I know from my own personal experiences of people asking me, "john, have you been/are you sick"?

And at a time when I was as physically and mentally healthy and physically fit as I have ever been.

Just sayin!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PhatCat wrote:

oh my gosh.  if you watched that, it was taped in Hartford, Ct and I was in the audience.  If you look at the part where he was talking on depression, they zoomed in on me.  Boy, I looked very depressed, no wonder they zoomed in on me.

I was not impressed with him.  He was "sniffing" alot if you catch my drift.  That being said, I thought you really don't work your program do you?!  Healthy eating is one thing, taking care of your body EVERYWHERE should be his priority

@PhatCat

Need to clarify .....  I first  thought you were saying he was using cocaine .... or perhaps did you mean he had a cold?   LOL