Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone have side effects from thyroid meds?

@cherry, You still have the option of asking your Doc to prescribe a generic synthetic.
I can't explain why name brand Synthroid gave me problems but the generic Levothyroxine doesn't.
That's not supposed to happen.
They are supposedly identical.
But I also know I'm not the only patient that reacts differently to these two forms of the same med..
Honored Contributor

@x Hedge  I tried 2 different kinds of synthetic thyroid. They both made me so sick. 

I was so grateful to find the Armour. I got scared when I felt sick , that it was going to happen again, wondering what I would do , and what else there is out there?

I think a compounding lab can make me the natural thyroid ,but it's probably even more expensive than using Armour

Esteemed Contributor

Tried Synthroid, gave me breathing issues. I sounded asthmatic.

Then I went on Armour, the breathing issues were worse and I got heart palps. So then he gave me Tirosint which is Synthroid without additives.

I should have tried it but honestly, I got so disgusted I tossed it and opted for no treatment.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy  do you feel ok with no meds?

Honored Contributor

My thyroid gland is still partially intact, and output fluctuates. 

At one period when I was not taking ANY hormone, the formulation for ArmourThyroid WAS changed. I'm not having any problems taking it, but a call to your prescribing physician might help!

Thyroid folks a reminder: your thyroid prescription is NOT A DRUG. It is a supplementary replacement for the missing HORMONE that your body REQUIRES.

Honored Contributor

My husband just told me he feels like he is getting the flu. So perhaps it's what I have after all, but I didn't run a temp?

I thought with flu you always spiked a fever.  Getting old isn't for sisies!

Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@cherry, Thyroid problems run on my mother's side of the family, my mother, my sister, and myself, plus two aunts (mother's sisters) all have thyroid problems!  When I was first diagnosed I had hyper, and had the radio-active thyroid pill to reduce my thyroid, but it took too much and I am now hypo!  It took about a year for my Dr. to get my levels regulated when Synthroid and I have my levels checked regularly.  I now take the generic for Synthroid (Thyroxine) and have not had any problems with the medication, just adjusting my levels, which I had to do in Oct.  I have been taking meds for over 20 yrs. and will for the rest of my life!  I once asked my Dr. about armour thyroid and she said I was not a candidate for that drug!

Sometimes it makes me want to SCREAM that doctors prescribe thyroid hormone replacement and the treatments for thyroid and don't explain them to patients.

@Hooty, taking radioactive iodine is intended to destroy the whole thyroid gland.

That's how it's SUPPOSED to work. I took it too, and half of my gland remained. I have to take replacement to raise the level that my body still produces to the amount my body needs.

I presently work with two doctors who have allowed me to try both naturals and synthetics. 

Honored Contributor

My first experience with thyroid hormone was the generic, which was terrible. I was sicker than a dog, and had hot flashes. She switched me to Synthroid which was no better for me

I asked her to let me try Armour, and she said yes. It worked like magic. I have read some Dr.s won't prescribe Armour at all.  I don't understand that atitude. I would find a different Dr if I had someone like that

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I took a synthetic thyroid and it made me terribly sick. My Dr told me it was the binders in the drug.  I switched to armour and have taken it for a while ,with no problems at all.

For the past week I haven't felt well. I thought it was a mild case of flu, but now I am not sure. I feel the same way I did when taking the synthroid

I don't feel like I am having problems with my thyroid, just the meds.  What med do you use and does it make you have a headache and upset stomach?

@cherry ... I started taking Synthroid back in 1992 .... it was not good for me so, my doctor put me on Armour Thyroid ..... I have a blood test every 3 months to make sure my T3 & T4 thyroid levels are OK .... if the levels are off  the doctor makes an adjustment in the Armour .... about 6 years ago the Armour medication was recalled because it did not contain the correct amount of thyroid hormone... it took the company over a year to put it back on the market so I went to a compounding company & had it made ... I did very well with it but, the insurance company would not pay for it so when Armour was put back on the market I switched back .... starting in Nov 2016 my thyroid levels started to go wacky & my heart was racing so much that the doctors drastically reduced the amount of Armour that I take .... I am still not at the right dosage & have to have blood work done next week ... hopefully, Armour does not have another problem with the formulation causing them to recall the Armour again.

They use thyroid hormone from a pig or cow when they make the Armour & depending on the age of the animal & other factors the Armour can be affected which in turn affects the person taking it!!

Valued Contributor

Only side effect was palpitations and feeling "sped up" when the dosage was too high.

My scripts are compounded and I alternate them. I prefer armour but don't process enough T4 with that alone. So my doc has levothyroxine (I think thats the name) compounded and armour separately. This is what works for me and has for years. Whenever I change it to try to save money, I feel bad and go back to this.