Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone have a spin bike at home?

I saw an ad for Peloton fitness bikes and checked their website.  It looked great, but I have no experience with this type of exercise equipment.

Currently, I belong to a gym that offers spin classs in the morning and evening (I do the morning), but they have cut back their classes and, honestly, I'm tired of having the same instructors all the time.  The advantage is the place is 10 minutes from my house and is a full service gym.

However, I would be interested to know if anyone has a spin bike at home and uses it.  I can always go out biking on a nearby trail, or use my Pilates board, but anyone who spins will understand it isn't the same.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who might own one of these bikes.

Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone have a spin bike at home?

[ Edited ]

I had a spin bike at home, I gave it to my granddaughters recently.  The one I bought, can't remember the brand but it was highly rated, was supposed to be up to the same standards as the one at the gym.

From the cycling perspective, it was.  It was great.  From the fit perspective, it fell very short - or more accurately, it fell too tall!  I'm 5'2.  I could not get the proper adjustments for height plus distance from the handle bars to come anywhere close to what I needed and what I was used to at the gym.

I would strongly suggest you check out ******'s sporting goods or another B&M that sells fitness equipment and actually try them out.  That's the only way you'll be able to find out if you can get it adjusted the way you need it to be.

ETA - what was edited out by the software was the nickname for Richard....grrrr

Valued Contributor

I spin at Peleton in Chelsea and it's a great bike and studio. It's worth it if you use it, I enjoy the different instructors and they really pay attention to the people spinning at home. They call out their names and mention who is doing well. 

If I had the room I would get the Peleton bike. I love the idea that you can use the app and take the classes any time you want. 

Esteemed Contributor

The Peloton bike is what I would consider, but I will try to find a nearby dealer so I can try it out.  Also, I'm 5' 6" so adjusting the bike should not be a problem. 

Lucky you having a spin studio that uses such bikes.  The gym I'm using has decent bikes, but they are older  And they only have a handful of instructors (it is a smaller gym, so I don't fault them -- they get what they get).  But, after 4 years of spinning, I would like some variety!

In the beginning I was spinning every day (even at 5:30 a.m!), but, they have lost instructors and keep changing times.  Strangely, it is the least popular class at the gym.  Seems everyone wants to dance around.

Thanks to you both for the input.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Peloton has a store in Dallas.   The screen on the bike seems really close...and the bitty weights on the back were giggle worthy.  I kinda like the subscription concept, but exercising at home is challenging...the energy a group can produce is inspiring...even in the smallest setting.

Can you use the cycling studio during off hours?  

There are a zillion (!) cycling videos out there.  Just download one to your cell phone & head over to the empty studio on your own schedule.

Is there another fitness club in your area? 

If you already have an outdoor bike, can you get an indoor trainer?  

Valued Contributor

The Peloton studio I mentioned is in NYC in Chelsea, it's the one they stream the classes from. They have stores in major cities that sell the bikes. 

Those bikes have the screens attached and you can take live classes or any of the saved classes. Their bikes are really good quality and silent. I like going to the live classes, but I would invest in that bike if I had room for it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Lianne:  Yes, I like the idea of streaming classes and I do have room for the bike.  I'm just toying with the idea right now.  My gym membership is $35 a month, so I could have paid for a bike by now.

sidsmom:  Yes, I could use the spinroom at my gym, but I'd have to get a phone that can stream (I may be the only person on earth without a smart phone!).

I get that a class offers a better environment, but I'm pretty movtivated for spinning and have been doing it 4 times a week to daily for over four years.  I am addicted, but the gym classes are just repetitious now.

Anyway, if I end up getting a bike, I'm sure I'll post here.  What I would love is a dedicated spin studio, but I'm in a small community and do NOT want to drive any further to a gym. 

Thanks to all for your input.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman wrote:

The Peloton bike is what I would consider, but I will try to find a nearby dealer so I can try it out.  Also, I'm 5' 6" so adjusting the bike should not be a problem. 

Lucky you having a spin studio that uses such bikes.  The gym I'm using has decent bikes, but they are older  And they only have a handful of instructors (it is a smaller gym, so I don't fault them -- they get what they get).  But, after 4 years of spinning, I would like some variety!

In the beginning I was spinning every day (even at 5:30 a.m!), but, they have lost instructors and keep changing times.  Strangely, it is the least popular class at the gym.  Seems everyone wants to dance around.

Thanks to you both for the input.

Add me to love Spinning club.  My gym too has cut back on the spinning sessions and added more Zumba.  I have a bad knee with only a partial ACL so Zumba is totally out for me even if I could get all my body parts to move together like they have to in Zumba.  Before the knee injury I tried Zumba and I was deadly to anyone nearby...bottom half went one way, top the other and neither in the direction everyone else was moving LOL.

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

Lianne:  Yes, I like the idea of streaming classes and I do have room for the bike.  I'm just toying with the idea right now.  My gym membership is $35 a month, so I could have paid for a bike by now.

sidsmom:  Yes, I could use the spinroom at my gym, but I'd have to get a phone that can stream (I may be the only person on earth without a smart phone!).

I get that a class offers a better environment, but I'm pretty movtivated for spinning and have been doing it 4 times a week to daily for over four years.  I am addicted, but the gym classes are just repetitious now.

Anyway, if I end up getting a bike, I'm sure I'll post here.  What I would love is a dedicated spin studio, but I'm in a small community and do NOT want to drive any further to a gym. 

Thanks to all for your input.

You can pick up a portable DVD player for really cheap and some spinning DVDs.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains an outside link