Trusted Contributor

Feel like I'm getting a cold.  Dry cough, tickling in throat that makes me cough and some light sneezing.  Was wondering if this can help with a cold or if there is anything else anyone can recommend.

Thank you.

Valued Contributor

Zicam never did a thing for me, but Cold-Eeze sure does! I start sucking on their lozenges at the hint of a cold.  

Respected Contributor

Yes, my preference is the nasal swabs due to stomach upset with oral types. The time to use it is when you first feel a cold coming on. It usually either prevents or stops a cold. Great product, but you must be diligent in its application.

Good Luck.

Trusted Contributor

@AspenGrove, so the Cold-Eze took away your cough? Mine is a dry ticklish cough, nothing is expectorated.  Sorry for that.  Any idea how many Cold-Eze you can take a day? Thank you.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Does Zicam really work?

[ Edited ]

@IMW, I never heard of nasal swabs.  Zicam makes them? Thanks.

Valued Contributor

Re: Does Zicam really work?

[ Edited ]

@newjersey, Cold-Eeze lozenges for me usually stop the cold dead in its tracks before it has time to take hold, but only if I take it immediately when I start to feel the tickle in my throat (which is how colds begin for me).

If I start taking Cold-Eeze after the cold has already developed, the cold is much less severe and goes away much more quickly. Cold-Eeze is the only brand that can make the claims they do because it was tested by the FDA in double blind clinical trials and did what it says it does.  In terms of coughs ... Although Cold-Eeze helps, if my cold turns into chest congestion or sore throat, I use OTC meds, like Robitussion cough syrup for those symptoms. 

Also, in answer to your question, I believe you can take one lozenge every four hours, but you'll need to read the package to be sure. 

Respected Contributor

I agree with everything @AspenGrove said.  If I start taking Cold-Eeze (I actually buy Wal-Mart's version) at the first sign of symptoms, my cold only lasts 3-4 days.  For coughs, I take Mucinex DM capsules 12-hour (an expectorant and cough suppressant) and Claritin for sneezing/runny nose.  

Super Contributor

I say yes, it really works.  For the throat I use the mouth spray. I just aim the spray down the throat for 2  days. and thats it.  No cold coming.  Love it.  

Respected Contributor

Yes!  The nasal swabs are awesome and they seem to get rid of symptoms pretty quickly. I usually have to use them 2-3 days, but my cold never gets worse!

Honored Contributor

I swear by Zicam. But I have to use it at the very first sign of a cold.  You also must use it faithfully as directed.

I buy the nasal spray but it's a thick gel like substance.  Just make sure not to inhale it in or you'll be sorry.