Esteemed Contributor

Doctors apts. what is going on?

My husband and I have been seeing nurse practioners for quite some time now, as they can get us right in. The dr I see, it may be next week and if I am sick, I don't want to wait a week.  My husband has not seen a reg. Md in quite some time, like years. I call today to try to get him in, as he is nearly 50, cancer runs in his family, and he just wanted to see an Md. We have inusrance, by the way. Nothing to do with it. Doctors in this town are NOT seeing new patients PERIOD. We have one main clinic here, and thats none of those drs are taking new pts.

The receptionist told me to call a satelite clinic in a small town close by. One dr there is taking new patients, but he has to look at your chart first, and then he decideds if he wants you or not. So, dh will have to go where he usually goes to the nurse practioner and sign a release for them to send his history to these people and then the dr will decide.

I always though, stupidly, that if you had insurance, good insurance at that, you were pretty well set. Well. No, not the case.

Is it hard to get in to see a dr, in you are not an established patient where you live? What is going on?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Doctors apts. what is going on?

I have been encountering this, too. My doctor retired (he needed to – he stopped reading your medical history, didn’t know what tests he had already order & received results for, had grown cranky and disinterested, etc.) and he just turned 65. I have spent months trying to find a new doctor…nearly all are not accepting new patients. I need an Rx renewed and I may die before I find a doctor. I am seriously thinking my quickest solution is Dr. Phil’s web doctors “Doctors On Demand” (and I can’t stand Dr. Phil…but that may be my best solution). What good does medical insurance do if there aren’t doctors available to see?
Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

We seem to have an abundance of Drs. where I live. I think you are wise to find an MD ,even if it's not convenient to where you live

A nurse ,no matter how good she is, isn't a Dr.  Our health is our wealth

Respected Contributor

Yes, it is hard to change physicians where I live. There aren't nearly enough of them to cover the population. My PCP left the practice and it took over a year to replace her. Until a replacement was found, I was assigned to a nurse practiioner in the same practice. I could not request one of the MD's. The NP's work under the supervision of the MD's, but I had to see the NP. I decided I didn't care for the physician who replaced my PCP, so I found a new one. It took me several months before I could find a physician who was accepting new patients. Their practices were simply full. I live in a small metro area with a population of around 200,000. There's two hospitals in the area, one much bigger than the other, and almost all of the physician practices are part of one of those hospital systems. As MD's leave, they're either not being replaced, or they're being replaced by NP's or Physician Assistants. The charge for the office call is exactly the same as if I would see an MD, but the hospital makes more money because NP's and PA's are paid less. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Frequent Contributor

As a new patient, it is not difficult to see a doctor in my city.  The problem starts after being seen because then the patient is an established patient.  It is like they use it as a way to lure in new patients, and then the established patients are thrown in to be treated by any physician assistant, nurse, or new inexperienced doctor in the practice.  

Considering how doctors are inconsiderate and do not value patients, I would rather be seen by a nurse because they still have the dedication and doctors know the nurses have the knowledge with the dedication, and nurses will stand up for patients.  

Patient treatment has changed, and this is my experience and opinion.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

We seem to have an abundance of Drs. where I live. I think you are wise to find an MD ,even if it's not convenient to where you live

She isn't just a nurse...do you even know what a nurse practitioner is?

OP, it sounds like you have a shortage of doctors and the option is the NP.

Like others have said you may have to travel to find one if you feel the care isn't meeting your needs.

Does the NP order bloodwork periodically and give you physicals as needed? They are highly trained and would not be able to see patients alone if they weren't. They do have to work under a doctor's supervision though.

Honored Contributor

I handle employee benefits for employees in 47 states.  99% of our employees are in an HSA with Cigna network, so I haven't gotten that feedback from employees since we got out of our HMOs 5-6 years ago.

I think medicare, HMOs see this more than open plans.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

To be fair, you live where there is a very, very large university health system that includes a medical school and teaching hospital. Lots of docs, lots of practices. That's something that many people don't have. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@Melania wrote:

@cherry wrote:

She isn't just a nurse...do you even know what a nurse practitioner is?

OP, it sounds like you have a shortage of doctors and the option is the NP.

Like others have said you may have to travel to find one if you feel the care isn't meeting your needs.

Does the NP order bloodwork periodically and give you physicals as needed? They are highly trained and would not be able to see patients alone if they weren't. They do have to work under a doctor's supervision though.

Actually I do, and I still prefer a Dr

Respected Contributor

That's scary.  I live in awell populated area where there are a number of hospitals and a lot of doctors (NE Ohio).  I'm always able to get my yearly checkups with my regular Primary and my OB/Gyn doctors.  If i get sick, they always can get me in right away, but it may be a NP or another doctor within the group, which is fine with me as long as I get treated.  I guess I'm really lucky so far, but I'm not  on Medicare yet (still employer insured), so that could change later.

Laura loves cats!