Honored Contributor

I tried that once. Talk about a sweat lodge sweat! It was a lot of work. Whew. More power to those who can tackle that!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you cross-country ski?

I tried it several times when I was younger.  It is a great workout but what I remember most is standing in the woods and you could hear a pin drop.  It was quiet and relaxing standing there is the snowfall listening to the birds.

Respected Contributor

hell no.

Honored Contributor

Yes...but I prefer snow shoes...that's a great workout too!

Honored Contributor

I used to love all kinds of skiing but alas - as I aged I no longer can ski or tolerate the cold. 

We went skiing on our honeymoon since we got married in Feb and we each had a fall - DH  sprained his hip and knee so he was on crutches and I fell cross country skiing - truely - how did that happen ? But I did and hit my head on a rock so I had a huge bruise in the middle of my forehead and a concussion. We came home looking & feeling like the walking wounded. We had a 3 hour drive home and DH was in a lot of pain and on narcotic pain meds and I had double vision so I couldn't drive either. We waited an extra day and my vision improved so I was able to drive us home. It was the worst possible start but it has been a good marriage.

Respected Contributor

funny i was just looking at the LL Bean Catalog. they sell X country skis and outfits to wear

i downhill skiied...i learned to ski at 36. i miserably tried and failed in HS (field trip to the Poconos) and never thought i would ever learn.

the last time i skiied was January 27th 2001 :-(    i miss it soo much. with my bad disc degeneration and spinal stenosis i can no longer even walk around the block

Trusted Contributor

My son's learned in their first year of Boy  Scouts.  Each year they took the boys to Ferris Lake in the Adirondacks for a long weekend.  They drove almost there and then supplies were hauled in on snowmobiles and the boys skied in.  Before each trip a local lodge gave the boys free lessons and skis if you didn't have them.  One year 1 son and friends built an igloo on the lake and spent the night there.   They enjoyed those trips.  At home my youngest would put the harness on our Siberian husky and the dog would pull him up and down an old railroad track bed.  I never had the balance on water ski is so I didn't try it on snow.  My oldest has changed from down hill to snow boarding.

Honored Contributor

Yes. I've lived in Colorado since 1968. Skiing has been a sport I love. I was once a member of a county search and rescue team and cross country skiing and snow shoeing was what we did in the winter. A lot of it now has been replaced with drones so there's no need to go out in the wilderness searching. That was many years ago I did that. These days a group of friends and I get together and we make an annual trip to Telluride, Colorado. We cross country ski, snowmobile and shoe around. Lots of fun.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another Coloradoan here. I cross-country ski (and snowshoe) all winter long.  Winter's my favorite season!

Honored Contributor

I lived in SunValley Idaho for 10 years. I down hill skied and cross country skied.  In fact I would put my cross country skies on and ski right out my front door and ski to town to pick up a few things.  I was in my 20's.   It was a great work out!