Honored Contributor

Re: Do you bruise worse than normal?

[ Edited ]

In addition to anything that thins the blood, skin becomes thinner during aging.

Respected Contributor

I too bruise easily. A friend reccommended Arnica gel and I have to say that I think it helps the healing process! It is available at the health food stores, Whole Foods, some drug stores too. It's worth a try I think! Quite inexpensive too.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

I bruise a lot more easily now that I'm older.  I have bruises on my arms and legs constantly.  If I carry a heavy bag my arm will have a bruise. 

I did hear on Dr. Oz that fish oil thins the blood and can lead to more bruising, so can taking aspirin. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Below are only two of the sources on the internet describing  how a Vitamin C deficiency can contribute to a propensity to bruise easily.

The Vitamin C connection to bruising has been known to nutritionists for many decades.  I'm surprised not more is heard about it these days.  Other vitamins might be involved as well.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02931/Bruises.html

http://www.webmd.com/first-aid/tc/bruises-and-blood-spots-under-the-skin-prevention

Honored Contributor

I used to take NSAID for my arthritis and they cause  excessive bruising, as do other drugs too. Now I can't take them anymore and I do notice that I don't have the bruises as I did.

Respected Contributor

Best Best Best cure for bruising.................... Use Arnicare Care Cream or Gel For Muscle Pain and Stiffness (works wonders) Swelling from Injuries Bruising Best product on the market, no smell and it works. Not available from Walmart but I found it at Walgreens and Meijers. Approx $9-$10 a tube but worth every penny. Best kept secret.

Rubbed it in my knee from a gym strain and within a week, back to normal....like it that it has no smell and it's not greasy.

Respected Contributor

In addition to the fish oil and baby aspirin, I think diminished estrogen also causes easy bruising.  At least, that' say case.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

My husband bruises fairly easily.  He is in good health,  69 years old, and

very active physically (mostly gardening and lots of yard work on acreage).

At a routine physical, he asked his doctor about this.  His response--

taking aspirin can cause this.  (he does take the low dosage daily)

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

Best Best Best cure for bruising.................... Use Arnicare Care Cream or Gel For Muscle Pain and Stiffness (works wonders) Swelling from Injuries Bruising Best product on the market, no smell and it works. Not available from Walmart but I found it at Walgreens and Meijers. Approx $9-$10 a tube but worth every penny. Best kept secret.

Rubbed it in my knee from a gym strain and within a week, back to normal....like it that it has no smell and it's not greasy.

This was mentioned one other time too, so I'll send this info on an email. The Vit. C, will be mentioned too. Thanks again ladies. Appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack

Yes, same here!  I am clumsy, too.  And get worse all the time.  If I just skirt something --- boom - bang!  Look down -- there is a bruise.  Or a red mark starting - and then the dreaded blood bruise.  My skin seems to get more thin and delicate the older I get.  I baby it and try to care for it gently, but to no avail!!!  I guess we are stuck with it!  If you ever come up with any remedies, please share!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin