Honored Contributor

Do autoimmune diseases run in your family?

Autoimmune thyroid disease, followed by systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis, are the most encountered of autoimmune diseases that run in families.  Diabetes is also prevalent. 

Our family certainly follows that pattern (with the exception of diabetes).  My beloved mother and sister both had RA, although they died from lung and colon cancers (smoking).  I see two of my daughters out of four developing the first signs of thyroid and RA as they approach their 50s.  I have several autoimmune diseases including thyroid and RA, as well as Sjogren's Disease.  The only thing that can be done to try to avoid it is to live as healthy a lifestyle as possible.  There are no cures for autoimmune diseases, only "control" meds which help some and not others, and often have toxic side effects.

Does autoimmune disease run in your family?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Frequent Contributor

Re: Do autoimmune diseases run in your family?

I had my thyroid removed in my thirties, so did my father, his mother (my grandmother), and her mother (my great grandmother).  So that's four generations all with thyroid issues.  Hopefully we can find a way to stop it before it effects my children.

Honored Contributor

@DeeDT wrote:

I had my thyroid removed in my thirties, so did my father, his mother (my grandmother), and her mother (my great grandmother).  So that's four generations all with thyroid issues.  Hopefully we can find a way to stop it before it effects my children.

The only way we can stop any disease is to find out first what causes it.  We don't know yet why the body starts to attack itself.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree@DeeDT

Yes autoimmune diseases have a genetic component.  Perhaps by now the actual gene has been detected.

Gene therapy seems to be making its way into mainstream medicine, we can hope.

Medicine does not know yet where to begin making safe modifications of genes for the commonly occuring "chronic" illnesses.

They have known for many years that these "disease" occur in "clumps."  (ie: it is very common for a child with eczema to have asthma).

Medicine can perform genetic testing if indicated to find out if our children/grandchildren may have inherited "some tendencies."

A heathy lifestyle would appear to be a great way to by-pass having the disease process occur earlier...

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@LilacTree@DeeDT

Yes autoimmune diseases have a genetic component.  Perhaps by now the actual gene has been detected.

Gene therapy seems to be making its way into mainstream medicine, we can hope.

Medicine does not know yet where to begin making safe modifications of genes for the commonly occuring "chronic" illnesses.

They have known for many years that these "disease" occur in "clumps."  (ie: it is very common for a child with eczema to have asthma).

Medicine can perform genetic testing if indicated to find out if our children/grandchildren may have inherited "some tendencies."

A heathy lifestyle would appear to be a great way to by-pass having the disease process occur earlier...

Fingers crossed!  Not in time for me, but for my kids and grandkids would be wonderful.

Formerly Ford1224
Trusted Contributor

Crohn's disease is another autoimmune disease.  We don't know of anyone on either side of our family, going back a few generations, having any autoimmune diseases. However, my brother developed Crohn's in his late 20's, has had an ileostomy for about 40 years, and numerous surgeries since then.  My mother was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis in her 40's.   So far no one else in the family including siblings, children,  grandchildren, or great grandchildren have shown any symptoms of anything autoimmue.  

Respected Contributor

Just RA on my father's side.  

Trusted Contributor

Both my mother and grandmother had RA. I suspect my mother also had Hashi's, but was never tested for it. I have Hashi's (and have markers for RA and  Lupus.)

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

My DH is from a family of 7 children.  His mom and two sisters as well as DH have psoriasis.  DH also has psoriatic arthritis.  He has had a particularly difficult time with his immune system because of the medications he takes post kidney transplant.

Honored Contributor

My dad had scleroderma.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.