Respected Contributor

Diverticulitis or something else

could it be H.Pylori?

i have some scary abdominal pains at night.  mostly in the belly buttin area.  they come on around 3:00 to 3:30 AM. so that is 15 hours or so after dinner.  by morning the pains have subsided. i had granola and berries today and i feel some needling pains again

both nights, for dinner,  i had a sandwich of sliced turkey breast i had roasted at home, and a croissant with avocado slices. chips and a pickle.

one night i had red velvet whoopie pie for dessert . i thought it was the Red #40 dye that gave me the pains.

last night i had blackberries/fgranola for breakfast and another bowl of blackberries around 10PM. oy. even worse that the other night

i know i should see a doctor but i'm afraid of the upper GI. i had to drink some barium goop and it made so sick after. this was for another issue though at the time

Trusted Contributor

Re: Diverticulitis or something else

Too much fat, too much fiber?

Honored Contributor

You need to see a gastroenterologist and have a scope done.  You won't have to drink anything for that.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Regular Contributor

Get a medical opinion from a doctor. 

Honored Contributor

I'd see your doctor. You won't necessarily need an upper GI test. And they really aren't scary. 

It it doesn't sound like diverticulitis to me based on the foods you mentioned but you never know.

I hope you find out what it is soon & are feeling better.

Honored Contributor

It could be a lot of things, but you will need to go to a doctor to find out which one. 

You are making an assumption about the tests you may need done. If the doctor thinks it's H. Pylori, you don't swallow barium, you eat some funny pop-rocks like crystals and blow into a bag. Super fast and easy. If the doctor think it's gallbladder disease, you get a jelly on the belly ultrasound. 

Stop guessing, do not try to diagnose yourself on the internet, and go call your doctor. You know you'll need to anyway, so just do it.

Esteemed Contributor

Your symptoms are too serious to play guessing games. There's no way to know for sure what's wrong unless and until you see a gastroenterologist. If you have a serious problem, you need to address it. If it's not serious, you can be relieved. Either way, you need to make that gastro appointment. The tests are FAR less dangerous than what could happen if you do nothing.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CatsyCline, if you won't go to a doctor (which you really should do, but I'm the same way so I understand), I suggest you start keeping a careful food diary.  Include anything you ingest, such as food supplements/vitamins, what type of beverages you are having, types of sweeteners, maybe even add the brands of foods you are eating.  Log the times you are eating, then log the times you are having symptoms.  Also, try to remember when these symptoms started, & what may have been also started at teh same time, such as maybe you bought a new brand of granola cereal or maybe are buying your berries from a different place, etc.  

When you eventually go to the doctor (and you will, if the pain continues), you will then be fore-armed with a food diary that could give the doctor the info he/she needs from you without needing invasive tests to be done, hopefully.  You also may want to try eliminating one food at a time, to see if you have a food (or food additive that is in it) allergy.  Food allergies can happen hours or even much, much later, not just immediately. Or maybe you are using a new product to wash the fruit, and are having a reaction to the soap solution...it could be anything, but see if you an remember anything that changed at the same time you started getting symptoms, then write that down.

Who knows, maybe you will be able to figure out the culprit yourself--but don't let it get worse or go on too long without seeking help, ok?  You can always tell the doc you want to post-pone invasive tests, to see if regular lab tests will help you figure out what is going on, first. That way you have more bases covered for maintaining good health.  It is your body, and you have that right.  But better to be safe than sorry afterwards...some decisions you cannot go back & change, but desperately wish you could.

Good luck! 

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Honored Contributor

Both are pretty simple to diagnose.

Or it could be one of those hernias that form behind your belly button.  You could try a liquid diet or low output diet for a couple of days, see if it subsides.

Go to the doctor!

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

could it be H.Pylori?

i have some scary abdominal pains at night.  mostly in the belly buttin area.  they come on around 3:00 to 3:30 AM. so that is 15 hours or so after dinner.  by morning the pains have subsided. i had granola and berries today and i feel some needling pains again

both nights, for dinner,  i had a sandwich of sliced turkey breast i had roasted at home, and a croissant with avocado slices. chips and a pickle.

one night i had red velvet whoopie pie for dessert . i thought it was the Red #40 dye that gave me the pains.

last night i had blackberries/fgranola for breakfast and another bowl of blackberries around 10PM. oy. even worse that the other night

i know i should see a doctor but i'm afraid of the upper GI. i had to drink some barium goop and it made so sick after. this was for another issue though at the time

Honored Contributor

H. pylori would be giving you *upper* GI symptoms, not so much umbilical area.

Diverticulitis would be in the colon, which is the lower intestine.

Both conditions have quite a few other symptoms. A 3-minute google will bring them to you.

No one here could, or should, "diagnose" you from the little information you've provided. When it's uncomfortable enough or scary enough, you'll either call your doctor or go to the ER.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all