Respected Contributor

Really quick and something in your neck goes crazy and it sends a weird paralyzing reaction up the side of your neck to your ear????  

What is that?  Should I be concerned?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Did You Ever Turn Your Head

That has happened to me since I was a child, but no one has ever told that that it happened to them.  I don't think it is dangerous, but maybe I will mention it to my doctor the next tme that I see her.  I can remember being alarmed when it first started, but maybe it is time to Google it first.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl I thought it was just me also.  It's happening a lot to me lately. 

Honored Contributor

that has happened to me if I have turned my head too fast.

I think that might be the brachial plexus nerve but I know knowing which nerve it is doesn

't make it feel better!

Mine goes away if I just am careful and hold my head still and maybe massage it with my fingers or a roller. A pinched nerve can hurt but usually goes away after awhile.

I wonder if that electric feeling is the body's way of telling us to stop moving our head that way!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

YES!!  Scary the first time it happened. A few years back it got much much worse and I started having significantly reduced range of motion in turning my head.  I went to a chiropractor and they took xrays and prescribed I have decompression therapy and PT.  It worked wonders.  Regained full range of motion, and it's rare I have the sudden tingle/paralysis events now.

I'm faithful in doing my neck exercises ever since.  I never noticed the deterioration until it got so bad.

Honored Contributor

If this is happening to you often you may need decompression therapy at PT. They basically put you into a machine that applies slight traction intermittantly tp your neck. After a few times it will take the pressure off the nerve that is being irritated. I had this about 10 years ago and it never has come back.

Respected Contributor

Thanks all.  Good information Smiley Happy  

And here I thought all this time I was a freak LOL.  This is a good benefit of sharing information.

Esteemed Contributor

Most of my friends and I complain about almost getting dizzy if we turn our head too fast.  I think it it age related.

Esteemed Contributor

@makena wrote:

Really quick and something in your neck goes crazy and it sends a weird paralyzing reaction up the side of your neck to your ear????  

What is that?  Should I be concerned?

No, BUT.......have you ever turned your head and when you do, you hear the vertebrae rubbing/crunching against each other?

AAAAGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!! It's a crunchy sound.  Man Surprised

Honored Contributor

Yes! It was painful and noisy because I could hear my cervical bones grinding. Had to wear a neck brace for months until doc told me I had a tumor on my cervical spine that was degenerating my neck bones. Surgery was the only thing to do and now I live with a fake neck with titanium screws. No pain or grinding any more...TG!