Respected Contributor

@Toppers3  wow ! that must be very frustrating and I'm complaining about my feet ! You have alot more going on and my heart goes out to you !  I've never had a feeling of anything crawling on my legs and feet or of pillows on my feet. I'm going to look into ALA as mentioned by another poster. I take a multivitamin so I do get Vit B. Thanks again for your post and blessings to you. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Diabetic Neuropathy

[ Edited ]

@HerRoyaLioness @Goodie2shoes 

Thanks for posting a photo of the NOW brand....this is the ALA without the gelatin that we use and have found it very effective.  We buy it on Amazon at a good price.

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

@Goodie2shoes - I have it all, numbness, feeling like my toes are twice their size and feeling like something is on them, it drove me nuts. I use one 600 mg each day and it helps.  My sister uses 300 mg twice a day. 
IMG_1246.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh my goodness! OP, PLEASE get yourself on a diet and exercise plan! I've been a type 1 for 44 years now and thankfully have no neuropathy. My explanation is I take care of myself. A few years ago I lost 70 lbs, my weightloss reduced my insulin intake drastically and totally eliminated some drugs. My latest A1C was 5.3. I walk. Thats all I do is walk, walk, walk and eat carb free. Its very doable and easy. Please don't look for a supplement, change your lifestyle. JMO

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

I have diabetes 2 (about 20 years).  I have neuropathy like you and am on Gabapentin.  When I see my endocrinolgist they always check my feet with a ******.  I'm on the maximum dose daily and it really helps.  I was in the hospital last year and they had the wrong dosage (not enough) and my feet hurt so badly.  It was an awful pain, worse that my knee pain as I had a TKR.  I'd suggest you talk to your doctor.  I ignored the pain for a while and the neuropathy got worse.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Oh my goodness! OP, PLEASE get yourself on a diet and exercise plan! I've been a type 1 for 44 years now and thankfully have no neuropathy. My explanation is I take care of myself. A few years ago I lost 70 lbs, my weightloss reduced my insulin intake drastically and totally eliminated some drugs. My latest A1C was 5.3. I walk. Thats all I do is walk, walk, walk and eat carb free. Its very doable and easy. Please don't look for a supplement, change your lifestyle. JMO

@ID2 well good for you and your condescending attitude towards diabetics.  This is not your first nasty post regarding people with diabetes.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

@ID2 well good for you and your condescending attitude towards diabetics.  This is not your first nasty post regarding people with diabetes.

the weird thing is that the OP did change her diet and has the diabetes under control 😏🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

the weird thing is that the OP did change her diet and has the diabetes under control 😏🤷‍♀️

I was told @tansy that neuropathy gets worse before it gets better. After increased blood sugars and the level of inflammation it causes, it can take up to six months to a year for the pain to resolve. Ten years after diagnosis of Type 1 I had painful neuropathy. I decided to do "tight control" and it went away. This was back in the 70's. Today I have it very mild and no meds to treat it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband has been diabetic for more than 25 years, and has advanced neuropathy.  

Based on his journey, it is extremely important for neuropathy to be addressed early, which is usually in the pins and needles stage of discomfort.  My husband was prescribed Gabapentin as soon as his complaints started, but should have been on a much larger dose.  That low dose for several years allowed his nerve damage to worsen to the level it is now, where he cannot feel his feet.  He also takes Cilostazol twice a day which is more for the claudication/circulation issues in his legs.  At this point there is no medication that will repair the nerve damage in his feet and legs.  

My husband thinks he walks normally, but he does not take steps like most of us when we walk; his feet barely lift off the floor, so you hear a shuffling sound instead of footsteps.  He cannot help it.  The #1 rule in this house is that no one walks barefoot, period!  2018 and 2019 gave us 364 days of stress from a pressure sore that we couldn't get healed, resulting in partial amputation of his foot.  Even with special shoes and the precautions we take, he has another pressure sore right now that I clean and dress 3x a week.  

Anyone with early signs of tingling, burning, pins and needles, stabbing pains, etc., in their feet, needs to talk to their doctor about neuropathy.  Early intervention is crucial!  

Respected Contributor

@ID2 

wrote:

Did you read her post?  Sounds like you did not comprehend what she said?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

I was told @tansy that neuropathy gets worse before it gets better. After increased blood sugars and the level of inflammation it causes, it can take up to six months to a year for the pain to resolve. Ten years after diagnosis of Type 1 I had painful neuropathy. I decided to do "tight control" and it went away. This was back in the 70's. Today I have it very mild and no meds to treat it. 

Interesting, @Trinity11.  I was annoyed with the erroneous post above that was made to @Goodie2shoes