Honored Contributor

Re: Diabetes thread now opened!

It might be. They have a website. I can't put a link in, because its to another retail establishment

Respected Contributor

Cherry, at one point my DE wanted me to have Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM).  In the discussion I had with her, I learned blood glucose can fluctuate minute to minute-just like blood pressure. It can also vary from finger to finger and from hand to hand.

Funny real life story: I washed my hands and dried them.  I pulled out my glucose monitor and tested. It was 350!!!! I panicked and called my husband to come home right away-and then it hit me, for it to be that high, I would have symptoms: hunger, nausea, sweating etc.  I washed my hands again and tested on my opposite hand. It was 88! I tested my control solution: my meter was within range!  I just had to test again-to be sure. I stuck a finger in my "offending" hand: it was 96.  I was relieved needless to say.  My table -where I test-looked clean, but somehow I must have come into contact with something sweet in the time between washing my hands and pulling the meter out of my purse.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

Yes, the Jello Sugar Free Pudding is delicious however I am super sensitive to milk and I don't react well to some artificial sweeteners so I found out early that although I loved them.... they raised my blood sugars and then I had my stomach acting up so I had to give them up....

And love this new thread!!  Woman LOL

@Q4u wrote:

Yes, the Jello Sugar Free Pudding is delicious however I am super sensitive to milk and I don't react well to some artificial sweeteners so I found out early that although I loved them.... they raised my blood sugars and then I had my stomach acting up so I had to give them up....

And love this new thread!!  Woman LOL

I also cannot tolerate any sugar free items.   I find what helps me is walking every day--seems to keep my A1-C in good order.   When I test, I still have some "highs" which at times I cannot figure out why as it didn't seem I ate badly.

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

It's been awhile, but he ate meat and cheese and eggs, very small portions of some veggies. No sauces or dressings. And get this - he was a salesman for some medical equipment company and lived in China! Would be pretty difficult in China with all the rice or noodles part of everything.

Whoa my first thought was he must have had breath that killed.... and some gastro problems.

Also I understand meat is extremely expensive in China....

(I worked with a woman who only ate meat, cheeze and eggs.... no veggies of any kind and it was almost impossible to stand next to her!) Woman Tongue

Keto breath? Must admit I never thought about that. But now that I think of it, there was a group of posters who aimed to be in ketoacidosis all the time. He might have been one of them.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Shanus, look up the Recipe for Cloud Bread-it has been awhile since I made it, but it's eggs and a little cream cheese: it smells divine while baking and reminds me of Challah!

There are some super inexpensive e-recipe books on Amazon that are low-carb and Paleo.  Our Paleo friends should not be ignored when it comes to breads and baked goods: they do some marvelous things with flax meal, almond meal and coconut flour. Many vegan recipes are suited for us as well.  If you Google Paleo Bread, I can guarantee you will find some great recipes.

Pasta is a little more difficult for me because I have a gluten sensitivity, but if it's not a problem for you, Atkins has a pasta that may be for you.  I've never seen it in stores, but you can order online.

I like Banda Pasta: it's made from chickpea flour.  It's high in fiber too.  A serving is still 2 ounces dry, but I like it.

Cauliflower is one of my most favorite vegetables: it's versatile.  I've made pizza crust and "bread sticks" with it.  I've cut carbs by cooking equal amounts of potatoes and cauliflower together. If I make meatballs, I make pasta for the family, but for me, I steam fresh or frozen cauliflower and I honestly enjoy it as much as pasta!  Of course, spiralized vegetables such zucchini works well....and so does spaghetti squash.  Consider using half the amount of pasta you would use and "dilute" with vegetables.

Cabbage cut thin and sauteed is delicious.

No spiralizer? No problem! I love broccoli slaw: the work is already done for you.  I always add it to my salads, but sauteed so that it's crisp tender-or as soft as you want it-is delicious-and it's a great trick for Asian inspired meals!

Chow Down!

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

That was supposed to be Banza Pasta-not Banda!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@Moonchilde. I can live w/o sweets. My weakness is bread, pasta, etc. What are eggs for breakfast without toast, coldcuts & cheese and no bread for a sandwich? I'm doing a modified Atkin's diet (not to lose weight but to keep fasting glucose # down). Any suggestions?

@Shanus, what I have done is look for high fiber versions. When you look for sandwich breads, buy whole wheat bread with high fiber.  This is a very thorough article with no ads selling anything:

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/the_best_bread_tips_for_buying_breads#3

This isn't true for all diabetics, but it's generally true for many or most - You can take grams of carbohydrates and subtract grams of fiber. Some do it 1:1 and some do it 2:1.

In practice, if there are 18 carbs in a slice of bread and 6 gms of fiber, the effect on your BG is 12 carbs x 2 = 24 carbs for a sandwich. If you have meat & cheese in the sandwich & a smidge of mayo, you have a sandwich under 30 grams of carbs. Not horrible. 

There are sprouted breads and a wide variety of breads made with alternate flours that can be found at Whole Foods and other health food stores. It depends on how seriously you want to search. Many of those taste like sawdust, honestly. I buy the Milton's Plus high fiber bread mentioned in the article and it tastes normal to me, not dry.

There are also lower carb pastas to be found online and probably in some stores. Basmati rice seems to have better glycemic scores (slower to peak) than other rice.

As far as breads, pasta, potatoes, rice - you can eat it. The ADA doesn't ever tell people they "can't ever" eat things. But 1/2 to 3/4 cup max, balanced in the same meal with low/no carb foods - which is less than most of us want ;-(

My feeling is that since you're not diagnosed and your numbers aren't horrible, cutting back most things should make a big difference - no need to be eating uber low carb at this point.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2  I always thought whole wheat breads or pastas were OK and found out they're not...sweet potatoes over reg. potatoes? No there, too. There's a lot of misleading info re: low glycemic foods being OK.

Thanks for paleo ideas & bread recipe. Cloud Bread-it, huh?

Honored Contributor

@cherry  Speaking of restaurants, how do you handle eating out? Take out is OUT...pizza, Chinese and other than fajitas, don't see much OK on a Mexican menu. Trying to stay completely clear of our Italian places...if not pasta, the chicken & eggplant dishes are breaded/fried. You'd think w/ the number of diabetics & Type 2's growing, restaurant menus would have a section for us like they started doing for gluten free items.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde. May as well be prepared for the inevitable. Everyone over 50 both sides of family develope Type 2. Have beaten the odds to age 68 by staying at 110 lbs., exercising and 15 yrs. of modified Atkins. Gets tiring counting carbs & looking for protein to stay full. It will be my way of life so may as well start now w/ as much info as I can gather.

Great thread!!!