Honored Contributor

Re: Diabetes thread now opened!

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

Someone in recipes posted a recipe for a black cherry smoothie. They said it was diabetic friendly, but at 38 carbs , not so much. If you used it for breakfast it might be OK.

I'm not really into drinks. I like stuff I can chew.

Diabetic friendly, and what constitutes low carb, is different for each person.

When I first joined a diabetes discussion group and began participating, it was "controlled" by a long-time poster who was an extreme low carber. He boasted that he ate no more than 10-15 carbs per day, every day, and decreed that anyone who ate more than 20 carbs per day was a "bad diabetic" and deserved whatever happened to them (seriously). 

I got into it with him in that my A1C at the time was 5.4 and I mentioned eating things he didn't approve of. I said that my A1C was fine, so clearly it was okay for me. He accused me of "giving dangerous advice " (which I never did) and continuously attacked me as being a "menace" to newly diagnosed diabetics.

In the end, while I was there the admins sided with him and blew me off. I ended up leaving the forum. Shortly after I left (within 3 months) the admins announced a change - the extreme low carbers were given their own forum and were, essentially, told not to mouth off outside of that forum. So, clearly people were unhappy with that blowhard, and I know I was missed. I still have good FB friends that were friends from that forum.

It's been discussed in previous diabetic threads that every diabetic body is different. Some have to watch every bite and dose for it; some don't. Different things spike different people. What spikes one person badly might not hit another person that hard.

I wouldn't call 38 carbs "low" carb, but if a regular smoothie is 60-70 carbs, IMO it's a much better alternative for a once in a while treat, or even a meal substitute. Sometimes you crave what you crave, and I'm always looking for lowER alternatives since sometimes there are no truly "low" ones.

That's just me; I'm lucky in that my A1C is always good if not non-diabetic. I've never needed more than Metformin. I'm not always "good", but overall my results are good if not brilliant. I'm able to maintain without a constant struggle. I know I'm lucky in that and some are not.

I just hope the thread doesn't ever get into judging peoples' diets and carbs. I know you aren't doing this @cherry, but I've seen it on the QVC forums and lived it on another forum. Not pretty.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Yes, the Jello Sugar Free Pudding is delicious however I am super sensitive to milk and I don't react well to some artificial sweeteners so I found out early that although I loved them.... they raised my blood sugars and then I had my stomach acting up so I had to give them up....

And love this new thread!!  Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I'm a fan of all the sugar free puddings, jellos, etc. I love Cozy Shack's SF tapiocas & rice puddings too.  I am now in a situation, though, where SF puddings & the like are very hard to find in my local groceries - same with No Sugar Added fruit cups - one flavor if you're lucky. I have to make a run to a specific store & hope they're stocked that day :-(

My go-to "dessert" these days is often yogurt! I want to try the Halo ice cream, too. I've tried other low carb ice creams and found them gross but people say the Halo is good. I like the Skinny Cow bars, sandwiches, cups, etc.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde  What did that guy eat , as far as carbs go?  They are in everything,but protein.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Moonchilde  What did that guy eat , as far as carbs go?  They are in everything,but protein.

It's been awhile, but he ate meat and cheese and eggs, very small portions of some veggies. No sauces or dressings. And get this - he was a salesman for some medical equipment company and lived in China! Would be pretty difficult in China with all the rice or noodles part of everything. He ate ONLY a few things, NEVER went out to eat, and took all his own food if he HAD to eat away from home. His permanent diet probably consisted of about a dozen things, max. When he came back to the US on visits, HE told people what and how he would eat. A real charmer.

I don't think he's there on the forums any more. About six months ago I signed up under a new name just to look for him out of curiosity, see if he was still there, who else was still there, etc. and I couldn't find him. Maybe he left once he was compartmentalized. 

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I will treat myself to a werthers caramel flavored hard candy. There is  14 grams of carbs in 3 pieces, so ,one little candy isn't that bad for you, and its real sugar too

Werther's caramels have sugar free items in both their hard candy and the sort chewables.  The flavor is perfect and I prefer to get the sugar free items.  A great cure for a sugar craving.

Honored Contributor

We had Trader Joes Orange Chicken for dinner tonight. We eat early, because we only eat 2 meals a day.

My husband snacks for his  3rd meal, and I have a piece of fruit

The chicken feeds 2 people generously.  It says you get  5 servings, but, I don't think most people would find it enough to eat.  A woman in Trader Joes struck up a conversation with me, and she said she gets 2 meals out of 1 bag.  She was a small woman, about my size,  I think it's more realistic to say it feeds 2 ,unless you eat like a bird, We both had 2 servings and there was a smidge left

It was good ,and even though it isn't low carb ,it isn't like sweet and sour chicken ,where you really get a terrible amount of carbs. It is about 50 carbs for 1/2 bag,  and we also had rice. I didn't have much rice, but, I did eat some.

My husband said he thought it was better than the orange chicken at our  Chinese restaurant

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I will treat myself to a werthers caramel flavored hard candy. There is  14 grams of carbs in 3 pieces, so ,one little candy isn't that bad for you, and its real sugar too

Werther's caramels have sugar free items in both their hard candy and the sort chewables.  The flavor is perfect and I prefer to get the sugar free items.  A great cure for a sugar craving.

I think it tastes very nice, but I have *issues* after eating it

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I think it tastes very nice, but I have *issues* after eating it

That only happens to me if I eat half a 1/2 lb candy box of something - a lot. If I eat a few pieces I'm okay. One thing I CANNOT eat is cherries. Seriously - any more than half a dozen cherries and I'm in deep ..... muahaha! Except, it isn't really funny 😫

Honored Contributor

I love cherries, and lucky for me, they don't give me any issues