Respected Contributor

Prelude: we simply accept all stages here. While none of us are medical experts, we are here for support, tears and  and a laugh!  We will adhere to guidelines set forth by  QVC. I would love to say that bullying will not be tolerated, but that is best left in the hands of  the modrators..

Welcome!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Re: Diabetes thread now opened!

I will start by giving my opinion of a product I tried tonight. Its sugar free Jello pudding. It has 60 calories and no sugar.  I tried the chocolate. It had a bit of an after taste, but it wasn't awful. I didn't look to see what it was sweetened with. It  looked like a smaller portion than they used to serve in the regular pudding cups.  I would give it a  6, on a 1 to 10 scale

I also found a 4 pack of Stewarts  diet orange soda. I haven't tried it yet.  I got it at Krogers. They also have the Stewarts orange and root beer at  Cracker Barrel. I don't recall the cost ,and it's a 4 pack

Honored Contributor

It's the wrong time of year for this, but thawed frozen fruit could be used, though of course not as good as fresh.

I have a biiig sweet tooth. One of the hardest things for me to cut back on was/is dessert. But I've found a dessert tha for me is every bit as satisfying, on a hot day, as a piece of pie or cake.

I buy fresh berries - for me often blackberries but it could be strawberries, blueberries, boysenberries, raspberries - whatever.  I mix them with a carton of low cal yogurt. Very satisfying dessert for someone with a sweet tooth. I use Chobani but it doesn't matter what brand. I'll use vanilla, but also strawberry banana or whatever you want. I add some Splenda for tart berries but that's up to you.

Berries because they have the lowest sugar content of all fruits and are often recommended for diabetics craving fruit.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I've never tried this ,but my sil who is also type 2, was told ,if you crave sugar try a spoonful of peanut butter

You must be careful with sugar free candy, it can give you the runs if you eat too much

Honored Contributor

I like peanut butter with green apple wedges. I buy the cut wedges for portion control.

When I used to diet, I craved peanut butter. I think it was craving the protein.

Super Contributor

Love the sugar free pudding and also the Stewrts Diet Root Beer.

One the difficulties I have had is to try to manage my type 2 with

compulsive eating disorder....

Quite a struggle and I also have to battle a sugar addiction.

So glad this thread is here...I know the only way I would be able

to cure the compulsive eating is with therapy but cannot afford

it  ....so glad to have people to speak with and hear their opinions

and suggestions....

Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie, I've always been a sugar addict. You have to learn to be creative to give yourself sweet without sugar; sometimes you have to have the sugar (donut, etc). The trick is to have one of something, not beat yourself up about it, and don't be having one of "it" more than once a week. 

IMO, all diabetics need diets that are responsible, diabetes-wise, but also livable so you won't feel like cheating all the time. I try hard to balance a diabetic diet with my cravings and come out with something I can live with.

Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

Love the sugar free pudding and also the Stewrts Diet Root Beer.

One the difficulties I have had is to try to manage my type 2 with

compulsive eating disorder....

Quite a struggle and I also have to battle a sugar addiction.

So glad this thread is here...I know the only way I would be able

to cure the compulsive eating is with therapy but cannot afford

it  ....so glad to have people to speak with and hear their opinions

and suggestions....

Hi @Big Joanie-Fellow CO here, and I finally learned that the easiest way for ME to break addictive eating patterns was to stop them. MUCH EASIER SAID THAN DONE, but for me, it works.

I pick a day and eat only "safe" food,  no matter how much I want to do otherwise. I also do Imtermittent fasting.

I believe that each of us living with CO must figure out the tricks and tools that allow us to manage this problem successfully. It took me decades, but I AM doing better. 

Bear in mind though- if we all were easily successful none of us would be fat. 

Super Contributor

I also find that if I am really craving somwthng and try not to have it .. I will

eat everything from A-Z and finally give in anyway....sometimes better to

just have it and be done with it .....

It certainly is a work in progress ....

Honored Contributor

I noticed something about my one touch meter today.  I thought my reading was a bit high this morning.  I tested again and it dropped 6 points.