Respected Contributor

Re: Diabetes thread now opened!

[ Edited ]

A little tip from a heart surgeon friend, who also has Type 2.  He told me that when he craves something sweet he has found that his craving is satiated by drinking cold water.  I know it sounds silly, and it's probably psychological, but it seems to work for me much of the time.  Worth a try if you will.

I also enjoy Sugar Free Jello.  Almost as good as the real thing.  Sometimes I whip heavy cream without sweetner and put a dab on top of the Jello. Makes me think it's the real thing; and I've even whipped cream with a little of the dry Jello in it. Gives it a good flavor.

Super Contributor

Great idea to use the jello powder in the whipped cream... love the

whipped cream...a lot of times if I am really craving something that

will do it ....

Thanks.. I knew I would like this thread....

Valued Contributor

dlife.com and diabeticlivingonline.com are a wealth of information.  

Honored Contributor

@CHATTY wrote:

dlife.com and diabeticlivingonline.com are a wealth of information.  

The above are both good resources. There are also excellent, very active diabetes forums:

diabetesdaily dotcom

diabetessisters dotorg

tudiabetes dotcom

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another diabetic reporting in who has to fight sugar cravings constantly.  I do give in to the occasional donut, mocha cupcake or See's candy...sometimes too often.  Sugary foods are my tranquilizer for stress:/

Tillamook was making an excellent coffee Greek yogurt that I would add a few chocolate chips to and a dollop of whipped cream --  very good -- but it was discontinued.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Another diabetic reporting in who has to fight sugar cravings constantly.  I do give in to the occasional donut, mocha cupcake or See's candy...sometimes too often.  Sugary foods are my tranquilizer for stress:/

I hear ya there, @tansy!

Honored Contributor

I will treat myself to a werthers caramel flavored hard candy. There is  14 grams of carbs in 3 pieces, so ,one little candy isn't that bad for you, and its real sugar too

Honored Contributor

Something I really miss:

IMG_0300.JPG

I love bagels & cream cheese! A company in LA called Western Bagel makes lower carb bagels in several flavors. Unlike every other substitute bagel I've seen and tried, these actually still TASTE like a bagel, and are only slightly smaller than a regular bagel, not paper thin. A regular bagel is 50-60 carbs by itself. No way. These are in the neighborhood of 18-22 net carbs (minus the fiber), depending on which favor. Not an everyday thing, but for a treat, not awful either. And if eaten with bacon & eggs (no carbs there) a balanced glycemic load. They make one flavor that's only 10 net carbs.

I used to be able to go by one of their shops regularly and keep a stash in the freezer. Many grocery stores in LA also carry them. They do have mail order, but I haven't done that.

Honored Contributor

Someone in recipes posted a recipe for a black cherry smoothie. They said it was diabetic friendly, but at 38 carbs , not so much. If you used it for breakfast it might be OK.

I'm not really into drinks. I like stuff I can chew.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A member of my family has diabetes so I have some sites that have been invaluable to me.

Fruits you can eat if you have Diabetes

Diabetes Forecast

I also subscribe to the DF magazine which contains updated products, research, recipes, fitness, etc.

Recipes for Healthy Living

@Poodlepet2 thank you for this thread. I'm always looking to learn more.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.