Regular Contributor

Re: Diabetes question, only diabetics respond please~

Has anyone tried Glucocil? I'm wondering if it's all it's hyped up to be. Anyone tried it and what did / do you think of it?
Esteemed Contributor

On 5/13/2014 Tenners said: Has anyone tried Glucocil? I'm wondering if it's all it's hyped up to be. Anyone tried it and what did / do you think of it?

Thats a new one, never heard of it. What is it??

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

On 5/13/2014 pridequeen said:

ladies, I hope I can ask a question here because I think I may have pre-diabetes. My glucose is the only thing that is ever recorded because it is part of a panel, CMP I think. I always hovers around 100. I get up at least 3 times during the night to go to the bathroom and during the day about every hour I go. If I don't eat something with protein before bed, I wake up with a massive headache.

My mother had type 2 diabetes but she is terminally ill now so they don't even check her anymore, she sleeps about 21 hours per day.

I had to pick up an insurance plan through the ACA and they assigned me a PCP. My doctor of 20 years is not taking any of the new plans. I did not like him at all. no medical assistants or nurses, no one took my temp or BP and I have high BP> I asked him to take it while he was in the room and he took it and it was 170/100 and he said wow, do you take any meds for that? I said I did but I can't go back to my old doctor so I have not had any in 2 months. I think high BP is also a precursor for diabetes. I am currently trying to find another doctor who will take this insurance.

Anyway my question - I am not going to ask any technical advice but how did you all get diagnosed with diabetes? Did you go in with symptoms and ask your doctor to check you for it? If I find another doctor I am going to insist that I be checked. TIA.

Request they do an A1C as part of blood work. It gives sort of an average of your blood sugars for around 3 months.

If your blood sugar is 100, it is doubtful you would have symptoms of diabetes.

Hope I understood your question right.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

On 5/13/2014 Perkup said:
On 5/13/2014 Lila4now said:

I'm always amazed people seek medical advice from an open forum. Talk to your doctor, have him send you to a nutritionist ADA ( not a dietitian, which doesn't have a governed degree). You're asking for problems if you take advice from a forum in the internet. You're dealing with a condition that needs medical facts, not internet garbage.

I don't think anyone here is stupid enough to follow someone's advise, even though the advisor may also be diabetic. But doctors don't know everything, nor do their patients. If I get a good thought here and pass it by my physician, what's the harm in that. There's always a chance something might work well for me, but I would not make any changes without medical advice. I see nothing wrong with a board discussion, so long as everyone knows it's just sharing experiences and ideas, and not medical advice.

Exactly Perkup. EmmiesMom clearly said she was seeing her Dr next week. Many of the folks who replied encouraged running everything by the Dr and making suggestions of things to ask. Why is it that support groups are encouraged for everything from Alcoholism to Cancer where those afflicted discuss their experiences and share valid info and reassure that something being experienced is not unique, but when it concerns Diabetes it's a big no no?

Respected Contributor

On 5/13/2014 emmiesmom said:
On 5/13/2014 Tenners said: Has anyone tried Glucocil? I'm wondering if it's all it's hyped up to be. Anyone tried it and what did / do you think of it?

It's another supposedly "all natural" supplement to help control blood sugar spikes. Problem is, it's NOT all natural. Here is the ingredient list:

• Mulberry leaf extract
  • Cissus sicyoides (Insulina) leaf extract
  • a-lipoic acid
  • C. quadrangularis extract
  • Banaba leaf extract
  • Chromium polynicotinate
  • vitamin B1, B6, B9 (folic acid), and B12

I would not take it without checking with my Dr first ESPECIALLY if you are taking any medications or other supplements.

Respected Contributor

On 5/13/2014 hyacinth003 said:
On 5/13/2014 pridequeen said:

ladies, I hope I can ask a question here because I think I may have pre-diabetes. My glucose is the only thing that is ever recorded because it is part of a panel, CMP I think. I always hovers around 100. I get up at least 3 times during the night to go to the bathroom and during the day about every hour I go. If I don't eat something with protein before bed, I wake up with a massive headache.

My mother had type 2 diabetes but she is terminally ill now so they don't even check her anymore, she sleeps about 21 hours per day.

I had to pick up an insurance plan through the ACA and they assigned me a PCP. My doctor of 20 years is not taking any of the new plans. I did not like him at all. no medical assistants or nurses, no one took my temp or BP and I have high BP> I asked him to take it while he was in the room and he took it and it was 170/100 and he said wow, do you take any meds for that? I said I did but I can't go back to my old doctor so I have not had any in 2 months. I think high BP is also a precursor for diabetes. I am currently trying to find another doctor who will take this insurance.

Anyway my question - I am not going to ask any technical advice but how did you all get diagnosed with diabetes? Did you go in with symptoms and ask your doctor to check you for it? If I find another doctor I am going to insist that I be checked. TIA.

Request they do an A1C as part of blood work. It gives sort of an average of your blood sugars for around 3 months.

If your blood sugar is 100, it is doubtful you would have symptoms of diabetes.

Hope I understood your question right.

Hyacinth

Yup, the A1C gives the best pictures.

PrideQueen, it's totally acceptable for anyone to monitor their own blood sugar levels. A prescription is not required for testing supplies unless you want your health insurance to cover it. I will say too that most health insurance is very skimpy on how much they pay for the supplies. That said, Walmart offers their own brand of meter and strips - it's ReliOn and it's EXTREMELY reasonable in price! I actually use both my One Touch and ReliOn interchangeably and to validate the accuracy of the ReliOn. My health insurance will only cover the One Touch supplies and my co-pay for the strips is higher than the full price for the ReliOn strips.

Regular Contributor

I'm type 2 and my last levels were high....I've been ""trying"" to do it on my own but you're all right Stress really gets to me. Now I'm stressed to see my dr. Fri.....she always wants to put me on pills they ALL make me sick..... so it should be interesting and just going through this gives me stress.......sigh

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/13/2014 TRUE said:

I'm type 2 and my last levels were high....I've been "trying" to do it on my own but you're all right Stress really gets to me. Now I'm stressed to see my dr. Fri.....she always wants to put me on pills they ALL make me sick..... so it should be interesting and just going through this gives me stress.......sigh

Hi True, I couldn't do orals either, I will be interested to know what your doctor does, please let us know how it went, (if you want to share). I have to see my doctor Monday, and I also feel stressed!

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

On 5/13/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:
On 5/13/2014 Perkup said:
On 5/13/2014 Lila4now said:

I'm always amazed people seek medical advice from an open forum. Talk to your doctor, have him send you to a nutritionist ADA ( not a dietitian, which doesn't have a governed degree). You're asking for problems if you take advice from a forum in the internet. You're dealing with a condition that needs medical facts, not internet garbage.

I don't think anyone here is stupid enough to follow someone's advise, even though the advisor may also be diabetic. But doctors don't know everything, nor do their patients. If I get a good thought here and pass it by my physician, what's the harm in that. There's always a chance something might work well for me, but I would not make any changes without medical advice. I see nothing wrong with a board discussion, so long as everyone knows it's just sharing experiences and ideas, and not medical advice.

Exactly Perkup. EmmiesMom clearly said she was seeing her Dr next week. Many of the folks who replied encouraged running everything by the Dr and making suggestions of things to ask. Why is it that support groups are encouraged for everything from Alcoholism to Cancer where those afflicted discuss their experiences and share valid info and reassure that something being experienced is not unique, but when it concerns Diabetes it's a big no no?

I agree, we're just supporting each other here and offering things that have helped us! Diabetes anonymous, lol!! DA!! lol! My name is emmiesmom and I'm a diabetic..lol, yeah, that works! Sorry, its early and I'm silly this morning,forgive me!

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

On 5/13/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:
On 5/13/2014 emmiesmom said:

It's another supposedly "all natural" supplement to help control blood sugar spikes. Problem is, it's NOT all natural. Here is the ingredient list:

• Mulberry leaf extract
  • Cissus sicyoides (Insulina) leaf extract
  • a-lipoic acid
  • C. quadrangularis extract
  • Banaba leaf extract
  • Chromium polynicotinate
  • vitamin B1, B6, B9 (folic acid), and B12

I would not take it without checking with my Dr first ESPECIALLY if you are taking any medications or other supplements.

Thanks for the list!!Smile

-- Mae West