Super Contributor

Re: Diabetes question, only diabetics respond please~

On 5/13/2014 redtabby said:

I have read that beans, especially pintos and lentils, are good for diabetics. Does anyone eat those? For your evening protein, would some hummus on whole grain crackers or celery work? At this point I am not a diabetic, my fbs numbers are in the mid to high 90s, so I am mindful of what I eat.

Beans raise my sugar some, but I do have some once in a while. They are high in fiber, and if I include some fat (GASP, HORROR of HORRORS, lol), that slows down the peak rise.

Sometimes I just want some black beans. I do skip the rice, but I'll do some black beans and cauliflower "rice" and lime, cumin, etc. Or a black bean "brownie" for a splurge. I was looking for the recipe I used last time, but I can't find it. It was a pretty good black bean brownie that came in at about 7 carbs per brownie - mostly fiber.

I'll also toss a few white beans in soup and such. I consider beans one of the healthy type carbs, and allow them. But, at least for ME, it's about portion size. I can't have a cup of them. I try to limit them to about 1/4 if i'm being good, lol. Too many, and my sugar goes up more than my comfortable max.

Valued Contributor

I have been diabetic for 20 years. It was caused by a recurring blood infection. I tried every health food, natural program in the market. Then after a 4 way bypass I went on insulin. By now I have atrophy of the pancreas. Yes, I excercised am not overweight and ate vegetarian. I am thankful I am in as good as shape as I am. Now as to the dawn phenom. , I have it. My sugars are high in the am. I just deal with it. I am not going to panic and worry about the high morning sugars. Dr Whitaker says don't panic unless they stay high and get higher during the day. Now I am not saying take my advice. That would be foolish. My doctor is well aware of the situation. If I had gone on insulin sooner instead of other means, I may have not had the problems I have had but I don't look back. Just trying to take one day at a time. Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/13/2014 sidsmom said:

.....and people then will continue to be diabetic. So sad. "Carbohydrates are what drive the blood sugar up and the more a person eats them, the more insulin necessary to cover them". Different cultures around the world have starch-based diets.....sweet potatoes in South America; white potatoes in Europe; rice in Asian countries......like the saying goes "a billion Chinese can't be wrong". Are you saying all of Europe, South America & Asia are on insulin for Type 2 diabetes? Crazy talk. It's not the carbohydrate....it's the fat. And, BTW....carbohydrate converts to glucose which fuels the brain....sounds like everyone here needs to "carb up"...not thinking straight!!!! And that is all.

Please QUIT posting to this thread, I don't need or want your advice!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

On 5/13/2014 allaries said:

I have been diabetic for 20 years. It was caused by a recurring blood infection. I tried every health food, natural program in the market. Then after a 4 way bypass I went on insulin. By now I have atrophy of the pancreas. Yes, I excercised am not overweight and ate vegetarian. I am thankful I am in as good as shape as I am. Now as to the dawn phenom. , I have it. My sugars are high in the am. I just deal with it. I am not going to panic and worry about the high morning sugars. Dr Whitaker says don't panic unless they stay high and get higher during the day. Now I am not saying take my advice. That would be foolish. My doctor is well aware of the situation. If I had gone on insulin sooner instead of other means, I may have not had the problems I have had but I don't look back. Just trying to take one day at a time. Good luck.

Good luck to you too allaries! I won't panic..I will be ok because I know what I can eat..and what I can't. I'm going to quit stressing about it~

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

On 5/13/2014 iam4truth said:

I have read that beans, especially pintos and lentils, are good for diabetics. Does anyone eat those? For your evening protein, would some hummus on whole grain crackers or celery work? At this point I am not a diabetic, my fbs numbers are in the mid to high 90s, so I am mindful of what I eat.

Beans raise my sugar some, but I do have some once in a while. They are high in fiber, and if I include some fat (GASP, HORROR of HORRORS, lol), that slows down the peak rise.

Sometimes I just want some black beans. I do skip the rice, but I'll do some black beans and cauliflower "rice" and lime, cumin, etc. Or a black bean "brownie" for a splurge. I was looking for the recipe I used last time, but I can't find it. It was a pretty good black bean brownie that came in at about 7 carbs per brownie - mostly fiber.

I'll also toss a few white beans in soup and such. I consider beans one of the healthy type carbs, and allow them. But, at least for ME, it's about portion size. I can't have a cup of them. I try to limit them to about 1/4 if i'm being good, lol. Too many, and my sugar goes up more than my comfortable max.

Iam, I love beans but they raise my sugar! I love chili but have been afraid to eat it after having sugar spikes from beans, I could always have chili without the beans..

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

On 5/13/2014 serenity4ever said:
On 5/13/2014 emmiesmom said:

<em>"...only diabetics respond please".</em> Oh my that phrase makes me sad, very sad. Literally....the blind leading the blind. Going to your Dr is 1st line of defense. After that...I would look to those that DON'T have adult onset diabetes for words of wisdom. If you're diabetic dispensing advice...it's clear you don't know what you're doing...or you wouldn't have troubles with FBS. SO SIMPLE TO LOWER & possibly ELIMINATE medication...Dr. McDougall, Whole foods, plant based low fat diet.

In was on Dr.McDougalls diet when I ended up in the ER!!

Yeah, right. You didn't do it right, sweets. And it's not just McDougall....it's Drs. Campbell, Esselstyn, Pritikin, Barnard,...on and on that support this way of eating for ultimate health. A whole foods plant based diet is the answer to sooooo much. The film "Forks Over Knives" would benefit you & others. I would love to say I'm wrong...but I'm not!

Yes, as a veteran of diabetes, Type 1, diagnosed over forty years ago, I would be dead if I followed the diet prescribed by all of those physicians. I tried McDougall's diet and my insulin demands increased by 50%. I felt weak and fatigued on this recipe for disaster.

And you clearly know nothing about Type 2 diabetes and Type 1 and a half diabetes. Your ignorance of the disease and dispensing condescending posts in regard to it are absurd.

Frankly, I think any physician who advocates a diabetic eat grains and little fat should be disbarred from the profession. Carbohydrates are what drive the blood sugar up and the more a person eats them, the more insulin necessary to cover them. It's a perfect recipe for the need of medication for a Type 2. And Type 1 diabetics who eat grains often double their insulin needs. How can that be healthy?

I agree serenity..Dr. Barnard's book recommends grains and low fat, of course he ISN'T a diabetic!! His book should be barred..thats how I got so sick and lost 20 pounds! I weighed less then 90 pounds when I went to the ER.The ER doctor scolded me for eating carbs, I was new to this and had no idea~I also watched the film, forks over knives..I'm NOT an idiot! It didn't work for me!!

-- Mae West
Trusted Contributor

I'm always amazed people seek medical advice from an open forum. Talk to your doctor, have him send you to a nutritionist ADA ( not a dietitian, which doesn't have a governed degree). You're asking for problems if you take advice from a forum in the internet. You're dealing with a condition that needs medical facts, not internet garbage.

Super Contributor

On 5/13/2014 emmiesmom said:
On 5/13/2014 iam4truth said:

Iam, I love beans but they raise my sugar! I love chili but have been afraid to eat it after having sugar spikes from beans, I could always have chili without the beans..

Same here, which is why I only eat them sparingly. My main problem with chili is the tomatoes! That's the one food that makes me the angriest, lol. I mean, it's a healthy food for petes sake! Once in a while, I endulge knowing I'll pay the price. But I have to have something tomatoe-y. Like stuffed cabbage with sauce. Or chili. I reeeeealy have to space out those foods and limit my portions.

Sometimes I go a little overboard with my green bean "fries", too. Which are just green beans tossed in olive oil and baked until they are brown and krispy beyond recognition, lol. They are seriously ugly, but really tasty. And easy to eat a couple of servings. :-p

Respected Contributor

On 5/13/2014 Lila4now said:

I'm always amazed people seek medical advice from an open forum. Talk to your doctor, have him send you to a nutritionist ADA ( not a dietitian, which doesn't have a governed degree). You're asking for problems if you take advice from a forum in the internet. You're dealing with a condition that needs medical facts, not internet garbage.

I don't think anyone here is stupid enough to follow someone's advise, even though the advisor may also be diabetic. But doctors don't know everything, nor do their patients. If I get a good thought here and pass it by my physician, what's the harm in that. There's always a chance something might work well for me, but I would not make any changes without medical advice. I see nothing wrong with a board discussion, so long as everyone knows it's just sharing experiences and ideas, and not medical advice.

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/13/2014 Perkup said:
On 5/13/2014 Lila4now said:

I don't think anyone here is stupid enough to follow someone's advise, even though the advisor may also be diabetic. But doctors don't know everything, nor do their patients. If I get a good thought here and pass it by my physician, what's the harm in that. There's always a chance something might work well for me, but I would not make any changes without medical advice. I see nothing wrong with a board discussion, so long as everyone knows it's just sharing experiences and ideas, and not medical advice.

I learned about apple cider vinegar from a poster. I've been doing it for months. If my BS is high, I take 1/2 Tbl of the organic ACV in a glass of water, and I add some stevia. I actually like it now..my sugars respond quickly..its amazing!

-- Mae West