Trusted Contributor

Re: Diabetes question, only diabetics respond please~

On 5/14/2014 ID2 said:
On 5/13/2014 emmiesmom said:
On 5/13/2014 happy housewife said:

As a retired nurse i can absolutely tell you that you will get many incorrect responses from people here - go and discuss this with your doctor - and only with your doctor. Many of the folks here who say they have diabetes don't have a clue about their disease. DO NOT TAKE ADVICE ABOUT THIS FROM THE PEOPLE ON THIS BB. This is too important to be following bad advice.

You're right and I will not take your advice! I have you on ignore now~

Wow I was absolutely stunned to read your response to this post! How incredibly rude! I would take the advice of a retired nurse over anyone on an internet bulletin board! I am a diabetic, have been for 36 years. I will not give you any advice in fear that you will pounce all over me for giving you correct advice that you are not willing to hear. Geez.

ID2: Respectfully, you do not know the history with this, 'Retired RN'. Emmiesmom has good reason for that post. Keep reading Happy Housewife's posts and you'll see.

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/14/2014 lacey1 said:
On 5/14/2014 ID2 said:
On 5/13/2014 happy housewife said:

As a retired nurse i can absolutely tell you that you will get many incorrect responses from people here - go and discuss this with your doctor - and only with your doctor. Many of the folks here who say they have diabetes don't have a clue about their disease. DO NOT TAKE ADVICE ABOUT THIS FROM THE PEOPLE ON THIS BB. This is too important to be following bad advice.

You're right and I will not take your advice! I have you on ignore now~

Wow I was absolutely stunned to read your response to this post! How incredibly rude! I would take the advice of a retired nurse over anyone on an internet bulletin board! I am a diabetic, have been for 36 years. I will not give you any advice in fear that you will pounce all over me for giving you correct advice that you are not willing to hear. Geez.

ID2: Respectfully, you do not know the history with this, 'Retired RN'. Emmiesmom has good reason for that post. Keep reading Happy Housewife's posts and you'll see.

lacey, thats very sweet of you. Thankfully things are calmer today, lol!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Regular Contributor

On 5/14/2014 emmiesmom said:
On 5/14/2014 Cat Lover Dogs too said:

Dear emmiesmom,

I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes May 2013. I initially started on Novolog and Lantus. I found a great site Tudiabetes that helped me immensely. The chat people are an invaluable source of information and will respond to a question immediately. By seeking their advice I have been able to get my blood sugars down from an average of 300 to an average of 85-120. There is an excellent book "Think Like a Pancreas" by Gary Scheiner, available on amazon which has also helped me. I have noticed that when the weather is warmer I do need to up my basal insulin by about 20 percent. Another excellent resource is Dr. Bernstein's book "Diabetes Solution". I follow many of his recommendations as well concerning a very low carbohydrate diet. As for the morning high blood sugars: my doctor was insistent that it was "dawn phenomenon" or Somogyi's. It was neither of those things. I did basal testing following the instructions in Scheiner's book and figured out what my basal dosages needed to be. Over the past 2 months I switched to Levemir due to cost and a few other factors and again did basal testing and found my own correct dose and schedule for that. As far as only talking to your doctor: I disagree, had I only listened to my doctor and did what he said I would be in serious trouble. Only you are really able to manage your diabetes and as much as I hate to say it, doctors have little training in diabetes and many of them don't believe diabetics will do what is necessary. The American Diabetes Association guidelines for good blood sugar control are also terrible and almost assure complications. Another great resource is Jenny Ruhl's "Blood Sugar 101" available for kindle or paperback. That book was another eye-opener for me. Good luck and I hope I have been somewhat helpful. (I was unable to read all the preceding posts due to time constraints, but wanted to chime in with my thoughts.) Cat

Hi Cat! I can't thank you enough for all of this information. I love Dr.Bernstein and follow his diet! I will check out the other books you mentioned. I think I am familiar with Blood sugar 101! Another secret, my doctor told me, (I) would have to figure out my dose of lantus. She told me to start at 13 units and to add 2 units every couple of days until I found the correct dose! We really do have to be our own doctor! I take 20 units daily..thats all. I can tweak it if I need too. I am really curious about the, Think like a Pancreas book too! You might want to check out Lizzysdiabeticlounge online. Its a very informative site, filled with pet pics, and Lizzy is a diabetic and answers question. It really helped me in the beginning. I found the ADA didn't work for me. A friend gave me their cookbook and it had WAY too many carbs for me! I like that Dr. Bernstein keeps the carb count low, I don't eat any grains starchy veggies or sugar. I also eat full fat yogurt, cottage cheese, cheeses etc. I also use olive oil and lots of protein. This has worked for me~ Thanks again Cat!!! Btw, your blood sugars are great!SmileAlso..I have been visiting the blood sugar 101 website for awhile, LOVE Jenny! Looks like I'm on the right road! You made my day!

I too follow Dr Bernstein! I have LADA type 1. It's the best advice ever! The ADA doesn't work for anyone. Way too many carbs, and you need the full fat to fuel yourself in place of the carbs! You ladies are doing great! Any and everything affect your blood sugar... more exercise, less exercise, sleeping, not sleeping, hot, cold, hormones, sickness, allergies, you name it! I have DP really bad. I split my lantus in a morning and evening dose. Then I also take Novolog to get my DP numbers down. Nothing else works for me that I have found. Great job!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/14/2014 GmaJewele said:
On 5/14/2014 Cat Lover Dogs too said:

Dear emmiesmom,

I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes May 2013. I initially started on Novolog and Lantus. I found a great site Tudiabetes that helped me immensely. The chat people are an invaluable source of information and will respond to a question immediately. By seeking their advice I have been able to get my blood sugars down from an average of 300 to an average of 85-120. There is an excellent book "Think Like a Pancreas" by Gary Scheiner, available on amazon which has also helped me. I have noticed that when the weather is warmer I do need to up my basal insulin by about 20 percent. Another excellent resource is Dr. Bernstein's book "Diabetes Solution". I follow many of his recommendations as well concerning a very low carbohydrate diet. As for the morning high blood sugars: my doctor was insistent that it was "dawn phenomenon" or Somogyi's. It was neither of those things. I did basal testing following the instructions in Scheiner's book and figured out what my basal dosages needed to be. Over the past 2 months I switched to Levemir due to cost and a few other factors and again did basal testing and found my own correct dose and schedule for that. As far as only talking to your doctor: I disagree, had I only listened to my doctor and did what he said I would be in serious trouble. Only you are really able to manage your diabetes and as much as I hate to say it, doctors have little training in diabetes and many of them don't believe diabetics will do what is necessary. The American Diabetes Association guidelines for good blood sugar control are also terrible and almost assure complications. Another great resource is Jenny Ruhl's "Blood Sugar 101" available for kindle or paperback. That book was another eye-opener for me. Good luck and I hope I have been somewhat helpful. (I was unable to read all the preceding posts due to time constraints, but wanted to chime in with my thoughts.) Cat

Hi Cat! I can't thank you enough for all of this information. I love Dr.Bernstein and follow his diet! I will check out the other books you mentioned. I think I am familiar with Blood sugar 101! Another secret, my doctor told me, (I) would have to figure out my dose of lantus. She told me to start at 13 units and to add 2 units every couple of days until I found the correct dose! We really do have to be our own doctor! I take 20 units daily..thats all. I can tweak it if I need too. I am really curious about the, Think like a Pancreas book too! You might want to check out Lizzysdiabeticlounge online. Its a very informative site, filled with pet pics, and Lizzy is a diabetic and answers question. It really helped me in the beginning. I found the ADA didn't work for me. A friend gave me their cookbook and it had WAY too many carbs for me! I like that Dr. Bernstein keeps the carb count low, I don't eat any grains starchy veggies or sugar. I also eat full fat yogurt, cottage cheese, cheeses etc. I also use olive oil and lots of protein. This has worked for me~ Thanks again Cat!!! Btw, your blood sugars are great!SmileAlso..I have been visiting the blood sugar 101 website for awhile, LOVE Jenny! Looks like I'm on the right road! You made my day!

I too follow Dr Bernstein! I have LADA type 1. It's the best advice ever! The ADA doesn't work for anyone. Way too many carbs, and you need the full fat to fuel yourself in place of the carbs! You ladies are doing great! Any and everything affect your blood sugar... more exercise, less exercise, sleeping, not sleeping, hot, cold, hormones, sickness, allergies, you name it! I have DP really bad. I split my lantus in a morning and evening dose. Then I also take Novolog to get my DP numbers down. Nothing else works for me that I have found. Great job!!!!

Thanks Gma!! I will try splitting my lantus, what a great idea!! Hopefully I can just take the lantus. Love Dr. Bernstein, glad you're doing well!!! {#emotions_dlg.wub} Btw, I agree with all you said, it works for me! I haven't been sleeping lately and taking my bs around 5 am..maybe thats a problem too?? Been sick too..hmmm~

-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

On 5/13/2014 sidsmom said:

<em>"...only diabetics respond please".</em> Oh my that phrase makes me sad, very sad. Literally....the blind leading the blind. Going to your Dr is 1st line of defense. After that...I would look to those that DON'T have adult onset diabetes for words of wisdom. If you're diabetic dispensing advice...it's clear you don't know what you're doing...or you wouldn't have troubles with FBS. SO SIMPLE TO LOWER & possibly ELIMINATE medication...Dr. McDougall, Whole foods, plant based low fat diet.

In was on Dr.McDougalls diet when I ended up in the ER!!

Yeah, right. You didn't do it right, sweets. And it's not just McDougall....it's Drs. Campbell, Esselstyn, Pritikin, Barnard,...on and on that support this way of eating for ultimate health. A whole foods plant based diet is the answer to sooooo much. The film "Forks Over Knives" would benefit you & others. I would love to say I'm wrong...but I'm not!

Didn't Dr. Pritikin have leukemia and then commit suicide?

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/14/2014 LipstickDiva said:

<em>"...only diabetics respond please".</em> Oh my that phrase makes me sad, very sad. Literally....the blind leading the blind. Going to your Dr is 1st line of defense. After that...I would look to those that DON'T have adult onset diabetes for words of wisdom. If you're diabetic dispensing advice...it's clear you don't know what you're doing...or you wouldn't have troubles with FBS. SO SIMPLE TO LOWER & possibly ELIMINATE medication...Dr. McDougall, Whole foods, plant based low fat diet.

In was on Dr.McDougalls diet when I ended up in the ER!!

Yeah, right. You didn't do it right, sweets. And it's not just McDougall....it's Drs. Campbell, Esselstyn, Pritikin, Barnard,...on and on that support this way of eating for ultimate health. A whole foods plant based diet is the answer to sooooo much. The film "Forks Over Knives" would benefit you & others. I would love to say I'm wrong...but I'm not!

Didn't Dr. Pritikin have leukemia and then commit suicide?

I guess he did! I just looked it up!

-- Mae West
Super Contributor

Love Bernstein also. Smiley Happy I used his book to teach me so much. The main thing being to 'eat to my meter'. I don't follow his plan exactly. but I learned SO much from his book. And the Diabetes 101 site.

I forgot about the Think like a Pancreas book! One of the first books I ever read about lower carb/whole food eating was called the Schwarzbein Principle. It was way back when I was diagnosed with PCOS and before I had diabetes. I am really kicking myself for not following the information in that book back then. I could have avoided a lot of the problems I'm having now. Plus, I had the low fat/low calorie stuff INGRAINED back then. It baffled my brain to read that I could eat real butter, LOL.

Honored Contributor

On 5/14/2014 jubilant said:

emmiesmom...I know you said only diabetics but I have dealt with these issues for years with my mother. She is quite disciplined in her eating and no matter what she does she continues to have problems like you are having. It has been suggested to us that she see an endocrinologist instead of her family doctor for this. Maybe you already do but just thought I would pass this on. We know a Nurse Practitioner who works for an endocrinologist and she has done wonders for a neighbor of ours.

Thanks jubilant, I have seen an endocrinologist before! Thanks for your concern, I see my doctor on Monday..I'll see what she thinks. I hope your mother is ok, sounds like she's doing all she can. My mother also had diabetes, and they switched her to several different orals. She never shared her BS readings with me. She was an RN and refused to try insulin. Sadly, they put her on Avandia and she suffered a massive stroke. I am afraid of the orals, and fine with the insulin. Does your mother use insulin? It got my numbers down quickly!

Yes, she does use insulin and has from the beginning. She is 84 now and was diagnosed in her early 70's. She has to adjust hers according to how much exercise she is getting that day....too much exercise and she dips into the 50's and 60's. She keeps a detailed log but we never know when she will dip. Sometimes at night she dips and they have her eat more before she goes to bed....but there is only so much an 84 yr. old can eat in a day and she can barely get the food down. She is a tiny woman. Her doctor tells her she can never go off of insulin. I just wish she would get one more opinion. She is dipping down way too low....way too often. The next day she may be high. There is just no rhyme or reason to it and it's been going on for over a year now. It has me quite concerned.

Regular Contributor

On 5/13/2014 TRUE said:

I'm type 2 and my last levels were high....I've been "trying" to do it on my own but you're all right Stress really gets to me. Now I'm stressed to see my dr. Fri.....she always wants to put me on pills they ALL make me sick..... so it should be interesting and just going through this gives me stress.......sigh

Hi True, I couldn't do orals either, I will be interested to know what your doctor does, please let us know how it went, (if you want to share). I have to see my doctor Monday, and I also feel stressed!

What are your numbers? Mine are in the 200's and only test once a day...I know I've caused a lot of this but I'd like to test more I need to lose weight and know I don't always eat right especially snacks in bed at night. I'm an over eater live alone have been depressed and just want to do nothing about this. Its such a stress....

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/14/2014 TRUE said:
On 5/13/2014 TRUE said:

I'm type 2 and my last levels were high....I've been "trying" to do it on my own but you're all right Stress really gets to me. Now I'm stressed to see my dr. Fri.....she always wants to put me on pills they ALL make me sick..... so it should be interesting and just going through this gives me stress.......sigh

Hi True, I couldn't do orals either, I will be interested to know what your doctor does, please let us know how it went, (if you want to share). I have to see my doctor Monday, and I also feel stressed!

What are your numbers? Mine are in the 200's and only test once a day...I know I've caused a lot of this but I'd like to test more I need to lose weight and know I don't always eat right especially snacks in bed at night. I'm an over eater live alone have been depressed and just want to do nothing about this. Its such a stress....

My fasting was 157 this morning, they used to be around 95-115. I did have a large snack last night. I admit it gets old, and I find it depressing too. Check out lizzysdiabeticlounge, I have found answers there and it helps knowing others are dealing with this too! Take care True! ((((hugs))))

-- Mae West