Respected Contributor

What a wonderful plan, Mistri! Educating others about esophageal cancer is so needed. Think of all the good you can do!

Have you been able to talk to your Dad? I wonder if getting him to talk to you would be helpful for him?

Have you done any research on the Cancer Treatment Centers. I haven't. They really spend a lot of money advertising, though. Maybe getting in touch with them would yield results as to what they could possible do for him.

Thinking of you, Mistri!!!

Jasper is giving his best doggie friend, Giles, a kiss! He sends you one, too!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for sending the Jasper kisses along, Fortune! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I've looked over the CTCofA website, and it seems like their approach is much more comprehensive than that of other places. That said, what little they offered of stats regarding my father's type of cancer wasn't as promising as I'd hoped...so I don't know if they can help him or not...I'm just looking for something. Clinical trials for his type of cancer are harder to come by than some other types of cancer, so I'm not sure if he will be accepted into one of those or not...or if he wants to be.

The last time I spoke to him, he acted as if everything is fine. He tends to do that. When I ask him questions that cause him to feel uncomfortable, he gets irritated, changes the subject or tells me to ask mom. It really upset me when I called last weekend and told him I thought I had the flu, and I asked him if he could call one of his doctors and ask if he was well enough that I could be around him (with a mask). He told me that if I didn't feel well, I should just stay home. If my mother hadn't called his chemo oncologist, I would've missed out on the entire visit with my brother's family and my parents all together. I felt kind of like he didn't care whether or not I was there. I felt that way on Christmas day too.

So...I haven't had much luck trying to talk to him. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Anyway...I'm going step away from this thread for awhile, I think.

I'll talk to you later, Fortune!!

Love,

mistri

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

I've decided to re-post this here, from another forum and thread, because I feel it's worth repeating...not just for those who have lost loved ones, but also for those who are struggling with life in general...

--mistri

To all of you who have lost loved ones...

I'm looking at the loss of my parents. My father's cancer is progressing steadily, and my brother and I don't believe my mother will be able to carry on much longer after he passes. My best friend will be fortunate if her AML does not return in the next few years, and the other close friend I have has something seriously wrong with her medically, but she refuses to get the bone marrow test she needs that will tell her why she keeps getting so sick. (To top it off, even though the ex and I had a nice time spending time with one another, I feel he is fading out of my life.)

The four people I am closest to are all in danger, and there doesn't seem to be anything to do to stop them from leaving this earth.

However,

I have found meaning in the slow-motion train wreck that I see coming. For others, it may be that they need to find meaning in the ruins that their train wreck has left behind.

I think about what I will not have in the future, and the only train of thought I can possibly pursue that will lead me somewhere good is to craft a new future for myself that gives me new purpose.

For years I've been ambivalent in many ways. Now I know that my future must include certain elements if I am to stand strong. I know that I must educate people regarding my father's form of cancer. I know that I must follow the career path that I now know is meant for me, and that the awful things that will happen are going to make me better at my career. I also know that I must finish writing these books that are still in their infancy.

I've learned that I need to have a purpose in life in order to escape the sense of hopelessness that threatens to overcome me, and I need to build a new life.

I hope that people lost in sorrow can take the sadness, anger and feelings of senselessness regarding their losses and turn them into purpose, fuel and comfort.

Honored Contributor

(((mistri))) I don't know when or if you'll return to this thread, but I wanted to post here and tell you you're in my prayers every day.

With all the losses I've had, from my teen years up to the present, they didn't all come at once. Of course, we can't compare situations, we can't compare pain, but I do know I can't imagine the stress, the sadness, and the grief you feel.

I've tried to think of something to say that would help, and I don't have words of wisdom. I admire your strength and determination, I admire the fact that you're facing your fear and being diligent, loving, supportive for these special people who are facing their own fears. I hope in the process you remember to find ways, no matter how small, to pamper yourself, give love to yourself, sustain your emotional and physical health. Just as parents are instructed before each flight on a plane, you must place that oxygen mask on your face first.

May God bless and keep you and your loved ones, minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor
On 2/21/2014 dooBdoo said:

(((mistri))) I don't know when or if you'll return to this thread, but I wanted to post here and tell you you're in my prayers every day.

With all the losses I've had, from my teen years up to the present, they didn't all come at once. Of course, we can't compare situations, we can't compare pain, but I do know I can't imagine the stress, the sadness, and the grief you feel.

I've tried to think of something to say that would help, and I don't have words of wisdom. I admire your strength and determination, I admire the fact that you're facing your fear and being diligent, loving, supportive for these special people who are facing their own fears. I hope in the process you remember to find ways, no matter how small, to pamper yourself, give love to yourself, sustain your emotional and physical health. Just as parents are instructed before each flight on a plane, you must place that oxygen mask on your face first.

May God bless and keep you and your loved ones, minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day.

Thank you, dooBdoo. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I have the "luxury" of knowing ahead of time what is around the bend. I can't imagine what it would be like to suddenly lose the person I've spent my life with. You are a strong woman, and I'm not sure I could be so strong if the rug were pulled out from under me in such a way.

I feel that our situations are different, but we have grief in common.

I wish the best for you dooBdoo; you deserve it!!!

Regular Contributor

OP....I just stumbled across this thread. I want you to know that through this thread, through all the hundreds of posters posting and their wise advice, people have been enlightened, helped, or just comforted in a some sort of way. Whether it is realizing they are not alone, realizing they are not suffering alone, reading a post that gives them that moment where they realize something about about themselves, or just finding comfort in all the advice. This has without a doubt helped someone. Thank you. Smile

Esteemed Contributor
On 2/22/2014 tiamaria said:

OP....I just stumbled across this thread. I want you to know that through this thread, through all the hundreds of posters posting and their wise advice, people have been enlightened, helped, or just comforted in a some sort of way. Whether it is realizing they are not alone, realizing they are not suffering alone, reading a post that gives them that moment where they realize something about about themselves, or just finding comfort in all the advice. This has without a doubt helped someone. Thank you. Smile

Thanks, tiamaria.

When I started this thread, I didn't know what a turn my life would take just months after the thread began. I was looking for practical ways of dealing with my depression, which have--of course--been very helpful. But something else happened that I hadn't predicted; I met some very kind people along the way...what they taught me helped me resolve a few conflicts I had in my life that were keeping me ambivalent about what I wanted to do. When I learned of my father's illness, I was thrown into a state of grief the likes of which I have never felt. I have to credit people on this board for helping me get through the initial stages of grief, while my family was still in denial. Now that I am past the initial shock, I am better able to help my loved ones.

In the end, I learned that the people you meet and what you learn from them are priceless...and feeling that there is some sort of purpose in life is a big part of feeling that your life is worth living.

My hope is that others who are struggling with depression will reach out, learn from the people they meet (and the things that happen in their lives), and find purpose in living.

--mistriTsquirrel

Regular Contributor

Please know you're not alone. I too go through this. I'm on an antidepressant but I don't think its helping at all and have tried them all... Just knowing you're not alone helps people just don't admit things like this. I try to be happy but some days its such a struggle. My life didn't turn out the way I thought it would and I feel very sad about that. So I do my best to get through every day some how. Some days are better than others. When I get into my comfy pretty bed at night is when I feel comforted because I know everyone else is in bed too and not having fun like during the day = see the depression? I love to watch tv in my bed then morning comes and I sleep late to take the day away.....once I get up I feel a bit better. I miss seeing my kids and g'kids more than I do and one lives a block away but there are problems there I see him but not his wife I see my g'baby when I see my son.

So know we ALL have things we wish were different some to more of a severe degree than others but - if you think you need hospitalization than get yourself there or have someone take you. I'll admit I've thought of the alternative and I know I'd mess that up too somehow then what? If you have a sense of humor you will get through this.....try to find things that make you laugh. Write your feelings and burn them but again YOU ARE NOT ALONE.......I feel very alone too so big hugs to you and know we all care not just in words..... on Piers Morgan his show was on Loneliness the other night so its epidemic....know we care and I'm glad you posted this as others have come out too so GROUP HUG TO ALL OF US AS NONE OF US HAS NOT SUFFERED.....

I just noticed when you first posted this.....

Esteemed Contributor
On 2/22/2014 TRUE said:

Please know you're not alone. I too go through this. I'm on an antidepressant but I don't think its helping at all and have tried them all... Just knowing you're not alone helps people just don't admit things like this. I try to be happy but some days its such a struggle. My life didn't turn out the way I thought it would and I feel very sad about that. So I do my best to get through every day some how. Some days are better than others. When I get into my comfy pretty bed at night is when I feel comforted because I know everyone else is in bed too and not having fun like during the day = see the depression? I love to watch tv in my bed then morning comes and I sleep late to take the day away.....once I get up I feel a bit better. I miss seeing my kids and g'kids more than I do and one lives a block away but there are problems there I see him but not his wife I see my g'baby when I see my son.

So know we ALL have things we wish were different some to more of a severe degree than others but - if you think you need hospitalization than get yourself there or have someone take you. I'll admit I've thought of the alternative and I know I'd mess that up too somehow then what? If you have a sense of humor you will get through this.....try to find things that make you laugh. Write your feelings and burn them but again YOU ARE NOT ALONE.......I feel very alone too so big hugs to you and know we all care not just in words..... on Piers Morgan his show was on Loneliness the other night so its epidemic....know we care and I'm glad you posted this as others have come out too so GROUP HUG TO ALL OF US AS NONE OF US HAS NOT SUFFERED.....

It's okay, TRUE. Kiss

It's not like I'm not depressed anymore...I still have the same depression and loneliness that I had before, and there are others who do too. I feel a little different about it now, because I feel needed by my family (most of the time)...so I have a purpose now...but I still have the symptoms of depression. I still feel like running away sometimes, or have fleeting thoughts of ending my life. I don't think I will ever be able to escape depression...I'll just have to manage it.

I hope you are able to manage yours too, and feel a sense of purpose that gives you greater strength during the worst times.

I know what you mean about bed. I have a bed I call my "cloud bed." It is sort of my sanctuary, and I have to be careful not to spend too much time there.

Regular Contributor
On 2/22/2014 mistriTsquirrel said:
On 2/22/2014 TRUE said:

It's okay, TRUE. Kiss

It's not like I'm not depressed anymore...I still have the same depression and loneliness that I had before, and there are others who do too. I feel a little different about it now, because I feel needed by my family (most of the time)...so I have a purpose now...but I still have the symptoms of depression. I still feel like running away sometimes, or have fleeting thoughts of ending my life. I don't think I will ever be able to escape depression...I'll just have to manage it.

I hope you are able to manage yours too, and feel a sense of purpose that gives you greater strength during the worst times.

I know what you mean about bed. I have a bed I call my "cloud bed." It is sort of my sanctuary, and I have to be careful not to spend too much time there.

Thank you sounds like we are very similar......almost exact... I try to stay in the moment I also practice Buddhism which isn't a religion to me but how to be happy....its hard work at times because I'm stirring up all the , wish i could say it here but s * * t......so its one day at a time.....glad you are better. Its the same with my "family" sometimes good sometimes bad but I've found we again....are not alone in this.