Esteemed Contributor

@fortune

I'm seeing an ear, nose and throat doctor.  The tests were called ENG or VNG tests.  I see my ENT doc on friday.  I started with an ENT doc because I was hoping it was something like BPPV, but I may have to see a neurologist.

@LilacTree

@Trinity11

My cardiologist asked me about my light-headedness and other symptoms I've been having, without me even having to offer them, so I suspect he knows what's going on with my heart, but he has me on a heart monitor for 2 weeks.  I also have to do a table tilt test, but I'm waiting for the hospital scheduler to call me to schedule that.

It looks like I may have 2 things going on at once.  It is going to take some time to figure this out, because I have more tests to do.

Thank you ladies for your support!!  I'm scared about what my future may be like.  I'm not even 40 yet, so I feel like this is all happening too early. :-(

P.S.-- Ford, didn't the doctor start you on one of those biologic medicines for your RA?  I know we were talking about that, and that you were reluctant to go on one due to the health risks.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@fortune

I'm seeing an ear, nose and throat doctor.  The tests were called ENG or VNG tests.  I see my ENT doc on friday.  I started with an ENT doc because I was hoping it was something like BPPV, but I may have to see a neurologist.

@LilacTree

@Trinity11

My cardiologist asked me about my light-headedness and other symptoms I've been having, without me even having to offer them, so I suspect he knows what's going on with my heart, but he has me on a heart monitor for 2 weeks.  I also have to do a table tilt test, but I'm waiting for the hospital scheduler to call me to schedule that.

It looks like I may have 2 things going on at once.  It is going to take some time to figure this out, because I have more tests to do.

Thank you ladies for your support!!  I'm scared about what my future may be like.  I'm not even 40 yet, so I feel like this is all happening too early. :-(

P.S.-- Ford, didn't the doctor start you on one of those biologic medicines for your RA?  I know we were talking about that, and that you were reluctant to go on one due to the health risks.

@mistriTsquirrel

Mistri, all of my RA docs have recommended the biologics, but I never took any of them.  I did try methotrexate, but that made me extremely ill (threw up every day, lost weight, became seriously dehydrated enough to need IV isotonic sodium chloride).  I do not tolerate highly volatile meds well, and MTX is on a level with chemotherapy.  I've been on low dose prednisone for ten years and it works well enough to keep me going, although it, too, is not without its side effects.

I hate that you're so young and suffering like this.  At least I was healthy until well into old age (66).  I feel lucky to have gotten through the last twelve years.

Keep us posted.  ~Ford

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@fortune

@LilacTree

@Trinity11

@mistriTsquirrel

Mistri, here is a better site for BPPV info.

http://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorders/types-vestibular-disorders/benign-paroxysma...

I still think that's what it is.  Have you had your eyes act funny during an episode of dizziness?

As far as your heart symptoms go, you should have a pretty good diagnosis in 2 weeks.  Try not to worry about what your life will be like until you get the results!  Are you on any medications for depression?  Have you ever been evaluated for bipolar?  I have a friend with BP and she went from doctor to doctor and medication to medication until it was diagnosed properly.  It took several years!  The correct diagnosis and medication has made all the difference in her daily life!!!

Did you stop work because of the dizziness?

I hope you get everything squared away healthwise soon!  You've got so much of life ahead of you!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@fortune

@LilacTree

@Trinity11

@mistriTsquirrel

http://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorders/types-vestibular-disorders/benign-paroxysma...

I still think that's what it is.  Have you had your eyes act funny during an episode of dizziness?

As far as your heart symptoms go, you should have a pretty good diagnosis in 2 weeks.  Try not to worry about what your life will be like until you get the results!  Are you on any medications for depression?  Have you ever been evaluated for bipolar?  I have a friend with BP and she went from doctor to doctor and medication to medication until it was diagnosed properly.  It took several years!  The correct diagnosis and medication has made all the difference in her daily life!!!

I hope you get everything squared away healthwise soon!  You've got so much of life ahead of you!!!

The tests they were giving me were done while I was wearing goggles, so that they could record my eye movements.  I'll see what my ENT doc has to say this afternoon, but the woman who administered the tests said he would probably order more tests.  And, yeah, I had to stop working because of the dizziness, and other symptoms that may have to do with my heart. 

I will be returning the heart monitor in two weeks, but my follow-up appointment with the cardiologist won't be until December.

I am on medication for my depression.  I've been on medication since I was a teen.  (Tried to quit many times, and wound up in a severe depressive episode each time).  None of my mental health care professionals have ever suggested bipolar, because I don't have periods of mania.

My current medication is not cutting it, and I have a script for an add-on medication, but I'm not going to start it until after the testing is done, because the side effects I may experience while starting it could complicate the testing process.  I don't want to throw in any confounding factors that will make it harder to get the correct diagnosis.  Also, the dizziness I may encounter with the new medicine could make my current condition even worse, to the point that I may not be able to drive for the first few weeks I'm on it, so I don't want to do it at a time when I have to drive to a bunch of appointments.

I really want all of this to be over as soon as possible.  I'm tired of living this way.

Respected Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@fortune wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@fortune

@LilacTree

@Trinity11

@mistriTsquirrel

The tests they were giving me were done while I was wearing goggles, so that they could record my eye movements.  I'll see what my ENT doc has to say this afternoon, but the woman who administered the tests said he would probably order more tests.  And, yeah, I had to stop working because of the dizziness, and other symptoms that may have to do with my heart. 

I will be returning the heart monitor in two weeks, but my follow-up appointment with the cardiologist won't be until December.

I am on medication for my depression.  I've been on medication since I was a teen.  (Tried to quit many times, and wound up in a severe depressive episode each time).  None of my mental health care professionals have ever suggested bipolar, because I don't have periods of mania.

My current medication is not cutting it, and I have a script for an add-on medication, but I'm not going to start it until after the testing is done, because the side effects I may experience while starting it could complicate the testing process.  I don't want to throw in any confounding factors that will make it harder to get the correct diagnosis.  Also, the dizziness I may encounter with the new medicine could make my current condition even worse, to the point that I may not be able to drive for the first few weeks I'm on it, so I don't want to do it at a time when I have to drive to a bunch of appointments.

I really want all of this to be over as soon as possible.  I'm tired of living this way.

@mistriTsquirrel

Do you trust your psychiatrist?  Have you seen him or her for a long time?  The reason I asked is that when depression is so hard to treat, and you haven't seemed to get the right medication yet, there may be extenuating factors.  It may take a new doctor to evaluate you without a  preconceived diagnosis.

Bipolar begins in the teens and sometimes the mania part is not a full-blown mania.  There is a lower-level mania called Hypomania that often presents in the normal range.  Here's a link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypomania

You really have a full plate right now and it is going to take strength to take each one of these problems and knock them off one by one.  I suggest you DO NOT wait until December to find out what your cardiologist has to say. Call his office and instist on an appointment this month!  You don't need additional worry about your heart for weeks and weeks!!!

My best to you, Mistri!  You are in my thoughts, and I care what happens to you!!

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@fortune wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@fortune

@LilacTree

@Trinity11

@mistriTsquirrel

@mistriTsquirrel

Do you trust your psychiatrist?  Have you seen him or her for a long time?  The reason I asked is that when depression is so hard to treat, and you haven't seemed to get the right medication yet, there may be extenuating factors.  It may take a new doctor to evaluate you without a  preconceived diagnosis.

Bipolar begins in the teens and sometimes the mania part is not a full-blown mania.  There is a lower-level mania called Hypomania that often presents in the normal range.  Here's a link:

You really have a full plate right now and it is going to take strength to take each one of these problems and knock them off one by one.  I suggest you DO NOT wait until December to find out what your cardiologist has to say. Call his office and instist on an appointment this month!  You don't need additional worry about your heart for weeks and weeks!!!

My best to you, Mistri!  You are in my thoughts, and I care what happens to you!!

Thanks, @fortune !!

I've never had mania.  When I've had periods where I've felt better for awhile, it's never fit mania or hypomania criteria.  It is very easy for me to dismiss bipolar just by looking at the DSM myself, I don't even need a psychiatrist to tell me that I'm not bipolar.  In fact, if I had one tell me I was bipolar, I'd go elsewhere, because I would doubt their competence.

There are many people who have medication-resistent depression.  It's actually not that unusual, sadly.  The other forum I've been on recently is a mental health forum, and there are some people there who are worse than I am (talking about how miserable they are every day and considering suicide daily), and none of the doctors or counselors they've seen have been able to help them.  Many of the ones who seem to be getting some sort of relief are on 3 medications or more.  Some people are doing TMS, ECT or other "last-resort" type treatments, or are trying alternative treatments.

Whenever I get a new script, or a med is suggested to me, I do research on it to determine whether or not I want to try it.  I have done enough research to feel that it's worth trying this new med, but I'm going to wait.

As far as the cardiologist goes...he has already looked at my EKG and echocardiogram results and agrees with my primary care physician that I do not have signs of heart failure or anything that should put me in the hospital right away.  I'm not sure how long it takes to analyze two weeks of recorded data, and he is booked a month and a half out for anybody, not just me.  I don't like waiting, but he is extremely busy and he will have two weeks of info to look over when I return this thing.  I don't think he would fail to call me sooner if he thought there was something life-threatening going on.

The ENT agreed with the woman who did my testing on Monday that my problem wasn't related to the little stones we all have in our ears.  She wants me to go to some sort of therapy, and if it doesn't work, I will need to have an MRI.  I really hope the therapy works.

Respected Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@fortune wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@fortune wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@fortune

@LilacTree

@Trinity11

@mistriTsquirrel

@mistriTsquirrel

Thanks, @fortune !!

I've never had mania.  When I've had periods where I've felt better for awhile, it's never fit mania or hypomania criteria.  It is very easy for me to dismiss bipolar just by looking at the DSM myself, I don't even need a psychiatrist to tell me that I'm not bipolar.  In fact, if I had one tell me I was bipolar, I'd go elsewhere, because I would doubt their competence.

There are many people who have medication-resistent depression.  It's actually not that unusual, sadly.  The other forum I've been on recently is a mental health forum, and there are some people there who are worse than I am (talking about how miserable they are every day and considering suicide daily), and none of the doctors or counselors they've seen have been able to help them.  Many of the ones who seem to be getting some sort of relief are on 3 medications or more.  Some people are doing TMS, ECT or other "last-resort" type treatments, or are trying alternative treatments.

Whenever I get a new script, or a med is suggested to me, I do research on it to determine whether or not I want to try it.  I have done enough research to feel that it's worth trying this new med, but I'm going to wait.

As far as the cardiologist goes...he has already looked at my EKG and echocardiogram results and agrees with my primary care physician that I do not have signs of heart failure or anything that should put me in the hospital right away.  I'm not sure how long it takes to analyze two weeks of recorded data, and he is booked a month and a half out for anybody, not just me.  I don't like waiting, but he is extremely busy and he will have two weeks of info to look over when I return this thing.  I don't think he would fail to call me sooner if he thought there was something life-threatening going on.

The ENT agreed with the woman who did my testing on Monday that my problem wasn't related to the little stones we all have in our ears.  She wants me to go to some sort of therapy, and if it doesn't work, I will need to have an MRI.  I really hope the therapy works.

@mistriTsquirrel

It sounds like you have done enough research to know pretty much what you're dealing with.  How long have you been taking your current med?  Have you checked it for side effects--such as dizziness?  I'm just trying to cover all bases, and two heads are better than one!  I sure hope this new medication helps!!  You are wise to introduce it only after you've gotten a read on the other two problems!

Mistri, you really are an excellent writer!!  I've noticed this for a long time!  Most people can't put two words together properly!!!  I hope you are looking into something in this field down the road!!!  You are also a very intelligent person.  Have you thought much about making some long-term goals regarding your future?

Do you have any idea what the therapy will consist of?  Will you be going to a physical therapist?  Are you able to drive or do you have help in this area?

Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel

Can you see another doctor?  Surely there is some other medicine or combination that can be tried.

If worse comes to worse, please look into temporary hospitalization.

I'm sorry that I don't know your background, and this may sound strange to you, but I am thinking of your question re: how you get out of bed.  Do you have a dog?  Maybe a cat?  Many people get up because their pet needs them.  There is also the possibility of getting a dog to be a companion dog for you.

I'm so sorry you feel this way, I do understand, depression comes with lupus.

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@fortune wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@fortune wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@fortune

@LilacTree

@Trinity11

@mistriTsquirrel

@mistriTsquirrel

Thanks, @fortune !!

@mistriTsquirrel

It sounds like you have done enough research to know pretty much what you're dealing with.  How long have you been taking your current med?  Have you checked it for side effects--such as dizziness?  I'm just trying to cover all bases, and two heads are better than one!  I sure hope this new medication helps!!  You are wise to introduce it only after you've gotten a read on the other two problems!

Mistri, you really are an excellent writer!!  I've noticed this for a long time!  Most people can't put two words together properly!!!  I hope you are looking into something in this field down the road!!!  You are also a very intelligent person.  Have you thought much about making some long-term goals regarding your future?

Do you have any idea what the therapy will consist of?  Will you be going to a physical therapist?  Are you able to drive or do you have help in this area?

@fortune

Well, I've been on my current med for several years, and I have a tranquilizer to help me get restful sleep that I've also been on for several years (as needed).  I did ask the ENT if my medications could've damaged my vestibular system in some way, and I was told that's probably not the case.  Anyway, I know the new med will probably cause dizziness at first, so it can wait.

Thanks for the complement on my writing and intelligence, fortune.  I would love to make a career of writing, but it's unlikely to bring in much money.  I may still do it on the side, but I think I'll have to do something else as my main career.  I've looked at going back to school for a master's degree or for a second bachelor's.  I'm not sure which I'm going to do at this point.  I feel like I'll need to know more about my physical health before I can make any solid plans.

I really don't know what the therapy will be like.  I have an appointment on wednesday to be assessed at this rehab place.  We'll see what happens.  And, yes, I can drive.  Actually, my mother drove me to the ENG/VNG testing, because it causes dizziness, and I felt dizzy from the drive up there...because I wasn't driving.  I can tolerate the movement when I'm doing the driving, but I get motion sick when I'm not.

Anyway, I hope you are doing well, and that you're getting in plenty of Jasper time!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel

Can you see another doctor?  Surely there is some other medicine or combination that can be tried.

If worse comes to worse, please look into temporary hospitalization.

I'm sorry that I don't know your background, and this may sound strange to you, but I am thinking of your question re: how you get out of bed.  Do you have a dog?  Maybe a cat?  Many people get up because their pet needs them.  There is also the possibility of getting a dog to be a companion dog for you.

I'm so sorry you feel this way, I do understand, depression comes with lupus.

@Noel7

Thanks, Noel7. 

I've been having some health problems lately and have been going to a ton of appointments.  I'm still having trouble with the depression, but I have to take care of the immediate physical issues before I start on a new med. 

I would love to have a dog, but there are a lot of obstacles in my way, and I have to consider the fact that I may be trying to find affordable housing not too far in the future...and it's harder with a dog.  There are several other reasons I don't have one, but I won't bore you with that..  (Also, I'm allergic to cats.)

I do, however, have a little guinea pig.  He is a sweet little guy, and very smart...and handsome.  Having him around does help brighten my days.  I'm really attached to him.  It kind of scares me, because I don't know how I'm going to handle it when he dies.  I think he's pretty healthy though, so he should be around a few more years.

Do you have pets keeping you company?