Respected Contributor

Dental care: Childhood vs Senior routines.

As I was doing my 20 minute dental routine last night I thought of how much easier it was when I was just a child.  When I was getting ready for bed then all my parents told me was "brush your teeth and say your prayers".  A few minutes with the toothbrush and then just hop into bed.  

Now keeping those teeth and gums in good shape as we age requires you to start getting ready for bed at least 30 minutes before you can even consider hitting the sack.  

In my bathroom I have a whole arsenal of dental products.  Floss, dental piks, a WaterPik with an assortment of tips for different areas of your mouth and an Oral B electric toothbrush.  Then add the various toothpastes and mouth washes.  

I'm extremely conscientious about following my routine every night but sometimes I just wish I could go back to the days of a two minute tooth brushing and call it a night.  

My dental hygienist always tells me that my teeth are looking good and I haven't had to have a dental procedure for many years.  All I've needed is my twice yearly cleanings and yearly dental X-rays so I know my hard work is paying off.  

But I just sometimes wish I could go back to "brush your teeth and say your prayers".

It would save me so much time.  Lol!  

Honored Contributor

Re: Dental care: Childhood vs Senior routines.

I have had my teeth cleaned every 4 months for as long as I can remember.   In addition, I spent YEARS doing the "30-minute routine" of nightly dental care.

Over the past 20 years, I have had almost ALL of my teeth replaced with implants, because my teeth suddenly went bad for no apparent reason (sudden abscesses, tooth just falling out, failed root canal, etc.

I wish I had an answer.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I am curious. What do you do that a dental routine takes 30 minutes?

Respected Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

I am curious. What do you do that a dental routine takes 30 minutes?

I start out with a long session of using my floss. Then I progress with my dental piks and try to do a good job on my gums.  Then I use my Water Pik starting with the tip that cleans each pocket that you might have on each tooth.  I use 20 oz of water for that. I then change the tip to just a cleaning tip and use 20 oz of water with that.  Then it's on to the Oral B for my two minutes of brushing.  Finishing up with my Tri Oral mouthwash.

I think tonight I'll set the timer and see exactly how many minutes it takes.   I know that during the procedure I have the TV on and by the time I'm finished the half hour show that might be playing is almost over.  

Honored Contributor

I'm not getting the lengthy dental routine either. 🤔 My AM and PM dental routine are the same - electric toothbrush (2 minute session, built in timer), flossing - 30 seconds, water flosser - 2 minutes, mouthwash- 30 seconds. That's 5 minutes total. Sometimes I might brush a little extra, but not that long.  Add on my skincare routines and then It's closer to 20 minutes or so. 

Honored Contributor

I am 69 and still have all my teeth, except for my wisdom teeth.

I haven't had a cavity in years and my dentist says I have the healthiest gums he has ever seen..even on younger folks. 

I bush my teeth with a Sonicare toothbrush after I floss at night and go to bed.  In the morning, I brush...but don't floss.  I never use mouth wash or dental picks, water flossers, etc.

No way do I spend 30 minutes on oral hygiene.  I do, however carry floss with me.  I often floss and rinse with water after eating.  I can't stand food in my teeth.

Honored Contributor

DH's parents did not think braces were that important, even though they were recommended for him. His teeth are straight, but they have a very slight space (hardly noticeable) between them. He has never had a cavity or any other problem. (One of his sisters wore them as an adult.) 

On the other hand, I wore braces twice, and wore my retainer until I got married. I brushed constantly, at least 3-4 times a day, and I still do at least twice a day. I use floss at least once a day. I just had my third root canal and second crown. I had to have 6 permanent teeth pulled when I was young because my mouth was too small for them. I have many fillings. And I have TMJ. 

Go figure!  Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@J Town Girl As a retired dental assistant I applaud you.

There are many reasons some people have more difficulty with keeping their gums and teeth healthy.  Many times it can be certain medications (especially as we age) or sometimes genetic makeup in general.  I was in the field for 30 years and yes I've had root canals, crowns and an implant too.   My implant came into play as an adult due to an accident as a child.  Regardless, there is nothing better than preventive care.  A clean mouth is a happy mouth and a healthy mouth helps keep the body healthy.   

Honored Contributor

I'm 63.  Not a senior but close.  I've had dental challenges some because we didn't get good dental care as kids.  I don't buy every single dental tool, appliance that is advertised.  I do take good of my teeth now.  I get cleanings every 4 months because that's what I was advised to do to keep my gums healthy.  I floss, I brush 2 or 3 times a day.  I don't eat sugary, sticky stuff.  My teeth, more importantly my gums, are in good shape.  I use one good toothpaste and I do use Listerine at night.  I don't need a bunch of different toothpastes and mouthwashes.  I don't look back at "what if".  I can't change anything so what's the point?  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I keep dental floss and a little case with little plastic picks by the stand next to my couch so while I am watching TV, I use them to floss.  Then, when I am ready for bed, I just brush my teeth and gargle with mouth wash.

I just had my dental cleaning, everything was good, but had to have x-rays this time.  My bill threw me for a loop.  Five hundred and twenty six dollars.

It was 265.00 six months ago, without xrays and the dentist looking at my teeth.  

I was upset.  I am old enough to remember when dental cleaning was 65.00.

They won't see me again for a year.  Forget six months.  What a racket. I don't have dental ins. I love my dentist, but this was outragious.