Honored Contributor

DH wants me to learn to ride a bike

I had one when i was a child but haven't ridden in a very long time. Now i am so afraid of falling but this is such a nice level place to ride - you can get around this whole small town on a bike. I hope it is as they say and you never forget how to ride. Wish me luck and say a prayer i don't fall.
Honored Contributor

Re: DH wants me to learn to ride a bike

Ride on grass until you get your mojo back.

Honored Contributor

They lied. You do forget. I had the bruises to prove it. LOL Good luck and have fun.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

It is as they say, your body doesn't forget its balance point. Trust yourself and/or pay a HS kid to run next to you and grab you if you tip.
Esteemed Contributor

Good exercise. Go for it. You just said about a week ago that you and your DH ride your bikes everywhere, so I assumed you already knew how to ride.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

On 1/3/2014 twopeas said:

Good exercise. Go for it. You just said about a week ago that you and your DH ride your bikes everywhere, so I assumed you already knew how to ride.

I'm confused-if HH said she rides all over on her bike-why is DH bugging her to learn to ride a bike???? Truth or fiction???

Esteemed Contributor

I thought they rode around their campground all summer.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/3/2014 lacey1 said:

I'm confused-if HH said she rides all over on her bike-why is DH bugging her to learn to ride a bike???? Truth or fiction???

I am retired- i live at the beach - i suppose a weekend with no cooking would be a nice change.

happy h -- you have a great life. Please tell me there are shops, restaurants and places within walking distance and you ride a bicycle around town. That would be a dream for me!

I live in a very small town - we have one of everything - one dry cleaner - one hardware store - one car dealer - several diners and cafes and one walmart and one Bells. We do have 3 grocery stores, Publixs - sweetbay and Walmart. We do ride our bikes all over town. We have a YMCA and a very small community hospital. This is not a community where you can walk everywhere but you can get almost everywhere on a bike. The entire town is located on a penninsula that is long and narrow, with the barrier islands and then the gulf of mexico on one side and a bay on the other. The beach is about 1 1/2 miles from our house as the crow flies but driving it is about 3 miles. We do have the scent of the salt air all the time - as everyone here likes to say - we live the salt life.

Last edited on 12/28/2013

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Definitely do it! You'll love bicycling!

I got one in my 40's when I was working on getting into the habit of exercising regularly. I recalled how much I enjoyed bicycling as a child & figured it might be something I would stick with as an adult. I was right! I discovered I had not forgotten how at all.

Esteemed Contributor

You may be rocky in the beginning and for sure you will probably fall a couple of times, but it will come back to you. Most of all you will love it! If you live in a bike friendly environment it's a wonderful way to get around, and it's fabulous exercise. I live in Chicago, but since I'm near the lakefront bike path, I'm always cycling in good weather.

ENJOY!!!