Honored Contributor

Re: Curious if anyone has ever had a doctor simply abandon his/her practice.

@sfnative wrote:

@Pook wrote:

Just because they are doctors does not make them responsible for you.  They are leaving a job - nothing personal - just like when we leave jobs and move on. 

@Pook

My physicians are not "responsible for you [me]."  That's the job of a parent, as we're growing up(!).

I do hold physicians to a higher standard than nearly all other professions, for good reason.  And, it is NOT just like leaving another other job for no reason and no notice.

I've worked nearly my entire career in healthcare, so am most likely seeing this from a different angle than most. 

I too spent my working life in large institutions in the healthcare industry. I may have held physicians to a higher standard when I was in my 20s, but that passed. I knew of cheating, multiple divorces, who showed up drunk to do emergency surgery, who was busted for drugs, who molested patients, cheated the govt. Do all doctors do these things? Of course not. But some of them, just like truck drivers, accountants and sales clerks, DO.

I saw and heard doctors dress down other professionals in front of their peers. I saw them try to get people fired for no more reason than that they'd said "no" to an unreasonable, ill-tempered demand.

In today's World of Medicine, the survivors join a group practice, and their patients are part of that group practice. Some people have to change doctors every year because of their insurance. My doctor's time is typically scheduled in 15 minute blocks for most things. He can't really have a relationship with someone he sees once every 90 days for 15 minutes. And I'm not an unusual patient.

I think Boomers will be the last generation that expects a personal relationship with their doctor; younger patients won't miss what they've never had.

The times they are a'changin'.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

Hope I'm not repeating what others have said-

Yes, there is actually someplace to report doctors in violation of the Patient Bill of Rights which can differ from state to state.

I think what the OP might be referring to; used to exist in the PBR which refers to a doctor not being allowed to terminate a patient without the patient agreeing or without referring the patient to another physician-or during certain points in care-with exceptions of course-although, it is up to the physician with respect to patient termination-

Doctor's disappear for many reasons-sometimes they are restricted by their practice with respect to informing their patients that they're leaving and where they are going-

I've worked with and for many doctors who were required to sign contracts stating they would not practice within 50 miles of the practice if they broke contract-

It's upsetting but, I can't see any reason for him to be reported or disciplined-

Honored Contributor

@silentgirl, your post sorta kinda touched on another topic which has been discussed here on the forums - doctors "firing" their patients, wherein a patient will receive a letter stating, variably, something to the effect of the patient benefiting by seeking the services of someone else, both of their needs (patient and 'firing' doctor) being best served by the patient seeking treatment elsewhere, and similar.

They're not going to give you a genuine reason; they don't have to. Both the doctor and the patient know it's legalese let's-be-polite blah-blah (at least, the patient should have/get a clue). The patient is in some way uncooperative, disruptive or generally a PIT* in the office, with the doctor, or in their dealings via phone. The doctor wants to rid themselves of a jerk - and they have that right, the same as the signs in restaurants "we reserve the right to refuse service...". I imagine it's a different time period in different states - 30, 60, 90 days - time enough for the patient to find another doctor & schedule an appt.

How it's ultimately ended is different in details (usually) but it's the same principle - no doctor HAS to see any particular patient forever.  There are legalities as far as leaving patients without a word and most importantly, access to their records, but beyond that, as has been mentioned, the doctor in question may not be able, due to no fault of their own, be more forthcoming.

And seriously, I would imagine medical school Ethics classes in 2017 are not the same as they were in 1960-65. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

This only happened to me once. It is really sad but a doctor I really loved and everyone did, I think took her own life.

When I went to make an appt, her practice was closed and there was a sudden notice of her death in the paper/ It was so quick and there was never a reason given.I searched everywhere to find more information but there was none and no information about a memorial or anything.

She was fairly young, married and her children went to the same school as my nephew.It was really shocking. I had seen her only a short time ago and she was her usual healthy upbeat looking self. I only thought that she did take her own life because it was a reason no one, especially back then, would ever want to give.There was not an obituary or anything in any paper, then or later.

I guess we do depend on doctors and maybe forget that just like us all they have as many problems as we all do. Still it is always kind of shocking when they get ill or have accidents. One of our favorite pediatricians died in a car crash. We all just could not believe it.

I don't know why I imagine they will only die of old age, though I know that is not true.  

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

They retire, move or get a better offer.  Happens all the time.  They are just people, after all.  It puts their advice into perspective and shows that placing full reliance on a person has some downsides.

Honored Contributor

They shouldn't be allowed to just lock the door and walk away without telling patients where they can go to pick up their records.

Honored Contributor

I have dealt with this several times due to retirement and relocation.   Our long time provider gave us 6 months notice he was leaving, and closing the entire practice.  We immediately got in with another provider, but my husband decided he wanted to utilize his military benefits and switched to a provider at our local VA clinic.   In January 2016, my PA moved away, and her caseload was taken over by a new PA hired for the practice.    

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative- it is not the definition of abandonment.  Your doctor is in a group practice and an equally qualified doctor is readily available.  It's nice when you have forewarning and I must say that I've always received letters from my doctors stating they are leaving a practice, where they will be and how to get my records or if they were retiring in addition to some referrals for competent professionals.  But, in a group practice, what you describe happens every day and is not illegal. It's not the nicest way to end a professional relationship and it's annoying to find a new internist but the doctor didn't break any law.  

If you were in a remote place in a one physician practice and undergoing complicated or lifesaving treatment and your doctor just walked away and no one could carry out your treatment or if you were harmed because of his/her absence, that's abandonment.  Health Officials will not act just because you liked a doctor and she left her group practice. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@sassenach1

Now that this has occurred and looking at the last 3 years, it appears my doc had some sort of issues.  When I first moved here after retiring, this person told me he/she had just moved from 30 miles south to get away from a bad practice.  After practicing here in the city for about 2.5 years, this doc left for a practice near home, 30 miles south, citing issues with the practice and driving on icy roads in winter.  We followed this doc south, as this person was an excellent clinician.  During this doc's time at this "new" location, he/she constantly complaind about the "stupid" people and has now simply left, after working a part-time schedule.  Clearly, though an excellent physician, this person has issues that I cannot begin to understand or care to understand.  What irks me is this doc did not care enough about patients to send a warning letter.  For those patient like myself who are medically complex and on several medications, continuity of care is paramount.  Being left in the lurch is more than a pain in the neck.  it could compromise the health of some of this person's patients, hence the query.

@sfnative- quite frankly, I wouldn't follow the doctor that far away as she probably would not be affiliated at a hospital near my home in case of emergency  and commenting about co workers in front of a patient, is highly unprofessional.  It's still not abandonment because she was in a group and tho you liked her, there were other doctors available to you. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Just because someone is working in a medical practice doesn't mean they can't quit their job for any reason,

Now, if she left you bleeding and ran out without helping, you would have something to report. The state officials would probably laugh at you if you tried to report her for quitting without notice.

Just move on and find another doctor.  Over the past few years, many doctors are leaving the practice and no longer seeing patients for many reasons.

I had to find a new doctor twice in the last five years. She did not abandon you, she just moved on with her life for whatever reason.

@Carmie- exactly....