Respected Contributor

Apples. Coffee.

My mother swore by prune juice, a small glass every morning. Yes - for me that is a  major EWWW !! But, some people like it.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:
Collace, my DR. said 300mg a day. Not to eat solid for a day, so the liquid can go to the stool. My med does the same thing. Also a tea called, smooth move. A herbal tea.

Try the Walmart Equate brand for a fraction of the cost, same exact pill. I take 2 or 3 every night for last 5 years now and use Benefiber powder every morning. The pills are each 100 mg.  Stool softeners are very safe to use long term.

Honored Contributor

Krystalose (LACTULOSE) by RX is a last resort for me and has always worked. ( two times)

However, I do need to continue trying prevention first.

Have Dulcolax on hand and getting ready to try it.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

White Castle sliders (burgers) work for me without fail, I kid you not.

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Contributor

Here is what works for me (I've had life-long constipation problems)

Metamucil or Benefiber in the morning

2 Metamucil capsules in the afternoon (I have the Costco brand now) or sometimes, Miralax instead of the Metamucil

Natural Calm at night.....the magnesium is what helps and I make it with hot water as a relaxing tea.(google the great reviews on Amazon)

If traveling or needing extra help, Traditional Medicinal's 'Smooth Move' tea really works!

Super Contributor

I agree, stool softeners help once in a while. I'm going to try the dried fruit too.  Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: Constipation

[ Edited ]

I have chrohns and suffer from constipation often!  Probiotics work for me, along with a stool softener.  Also the squatty potty!

Esteemed Contributor

@piperbay wrote:

Do you take any probiotics on a daily basis? They do make you regular.

I second that.  I suffered from chronic constipation for years; I started taking probiotics and no problem since 2011.