Esteemed Contributor

The prep is hardest part of the procedure.  Once it is over, the rest is easy.  Your health is something that you don't want to take the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" or "out of sight, out of mind" position.  The procedure is like a Pelvic or Mammo exam.  Preventative.

Respected Contributor

@LBird wrote:

Good Afternoon, I putting this post out there because I don't know what to do. I'm in my earlier 50 and my doctor has said it's time for me to get a colonoscopy I'm really not sure for some reason it scares me. I have no problem no conserns with my bottom but should I ? I think why miss with something that is working fine or should I wait till summer or in a couple of years.  Would anyone be able to give me advise on the pro's and cons. No one in my family has ever had cancer or the pollips when they get their done. Please give advise on if you think I should now or wait

thanks

I have shared my experience on this site before but it bears repeating.

I worked in a hospital setting my entire adult life.  I had always promised myself a "50th birthday gift" of a colonoscopy.  However, my mom was dying of Parkinson's/Alzheimer's and I was 52 years when I had my first colonoscopy.

While coming out of the anesthetic, I heard the GI doctor say, "you have a problem".  I had a very large mass of 8cm. at the cecum which is the very top of the colon.  I had absolutely no symptoms.

The following week a general surgeon performed a right hemi-colectomy.  I was in the hospital from a Tuesday and discharged on a Saturday with a large scar from the navel 8" to my right lower abdomen.  The good news that by the Grace of God, it was a benign growth.  The surgeon told me he would have bet his paycheck the mass was cancerous but it was not.  I asked him, "if I did nothing and waited until I had symptoms, what would happen"?  He told me we would not be having this conversation right now.

Was the prep an annoyance?  Yes but, it's one day out of your life.  Put that in perspective.  I'll leave you with that. 

Good luck.

Valued Contributor

@LBird, go ahead and follow your doctor's recommendation.  The entire procedure takes about 15 minutes, and you will not be awake.  When you do wake up, you won't even know you had it.  I had my second one in October (my first was in 2004), my appointment was 9am, and I woke up in recovery by 9:30.  

As far as the prep is concerned, it has changed drastically in recent years.  I had to drink two five ounce bottles of magnesium citrate, one at 3pm and the other at 7pm.  It wasn't terrible.  The "mouth feel" leaves something to be desired, but now this prep comes in lemon or raspberry flavors.  I don't remember the brand.  Of course, it depends on your doctor and whether he/she adheres to the old gallon jug or whether he/she prefers the updated prep procedure.  Fortunately, my doctor was, and I really can't complain.  

FYI, it also helps if you have a very light diet a couple of days before the prep.  That goes a long way in alleviating the "ick" factor.  Don't hesitate.  Colon cancer is not always symptomatic.  Why take the chance by delaying.  You won't need another one for 10 years if all is well, so don't be afraid.  Do yourself a huge favor and get it done.

Esteemed Contributor

@LBird, You'll be unconscious during the procedure. This has become a pretty routine milestone at age 50,and is an excellent screening step. Too many still avoid it.

The prep involves drinking about a gallon (no kidding) of stuff. They have flavored the stuff now to make it more tolerable. Surprisingly, it only gets difficult in the last quart, and its not the taste so much as its the sheer volume. Everyone has trouble, but the stuff will clear out the contents of your gut so they can have a good look around.

I had both the upper and lower GI done while unconscious. Since they were looking for something specific, and didn't find it, the following day I swallowed the camera-in-a-capsule. That was no problem at all.

Honored Contributor

Hello there. I don't think anyone is thrilled abot having these, but as others have said, it's not painful. It's just a precaution like a mamogram etc. You can do it! Good luck!

Valued Contributor

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion regarding their own health but I can't imagine not having it done when it is something that can save your life. If they find a polyp, they snip it off.  I have had it done twice, both times with no sedation or painkillers, but that was my choice. Everyone says it's a breeze and they feel like they had a great sleep. I thought the prep was fine. I requested the pills both times and it was easy. My problem was that I was hungry!  My stepmother had colon cancer and had to endure surgery and treatment and I thought what a shame she could have avoided all that if she had gone for colonoscopies.  Mine was clear and I'm good for another 7 years, some drs say 10.  It's worth it to me for the peace of mind.

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma

Funny you should mention age.  When I saw the physician assistant at the GI doctor's office (they just have to see you before they schedule you, lol), she and I were talking about needing someone present.  I said you know, I don't like to inconvenience people to take time off of work for this.  What happens if one day when I am old, I have no one to bring me or sit around and wait for me.  She said, oh, we stop doing them once you get to a certain age.  I can't remember the magic number. 

Gave me hope that I will only be probed every 5 years a couple more times and that will be it, he he he.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@LBird wrote:

Good Afternoon, I putting this post out there because I don't know what to do. I'm in my earlier 50 and my doctor has said it's time for me to get a colonoscopy I'm really not sure for some reason it scares me. I have no problem no conserns with my bottom but should I ? I think why miss with something that is working fine or should I wait till summer or in a couple of years.  Would anyone be able to give me advise on the pro's and cons. No one in my family has ever had cancer or the pollips when they get their done. Please give advise on if you think I should now or wait

thanks

Now is the perfect time. Kinda like not changing oil until your engine blows up. Running good so why mess with it by changing oil? Oopsi!  Too late now, your engine is gone. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@LBird

You should have the colonoscopy.

This might make you laugh a little.  It is an article written a few years ago by Dave Barry about his first colonoscopy.

http://www.miamiherald.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/dave-barry/article1928847.html

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Frequent Contributor

I dreaded having one, but I would recommend it.      There are different prep drinks.  See if you can have the one where you only have less prep to take.   Whatever you do, if you use this kind, you had better be sitting on the toilet, or you will be sorry.   It acts immediately.   They put you to sleep and it is nothing.    Good luck and

God bless you.d