Contributor

Good Afternoon, I putting this post out there because I don't know what to do. I'm in my earlier 50 and my doctor has said it's time for me to get a colonoscopy I'm really not sure for some reason it scares me. I have no problem no conserns with my bottom but should I ? I think why miss with something that is working fine or should I wait till summer or in a couple of years.  Would anyone be able to give me advise on the pro's and cons. No one in my family has ever had cancer or the pollips when they get their done. Please give advise on if you think I should now or wait

thanks

Contributor

I've had a couple of these done. No big deal.  I am 61 now.  The prep is the worst of it. The procedure is nothing you will be put out. Wont feel a thing. I would do it now.  Better safe than sorry. 

Honored Contributor

@LBird

Welcome to the Community LBird.

I am 54 and have undergone 2 colonoscopies.  My first was right before my 45th birthday.  In my case, there is a paternal case of colon cancer so the GI doctor felt it was prudent to start checking me out 15 years in advance of the age my father was diagnosed.

Even without the family history, I can tell you that I would have complied with the American Cancer Society guidelines for this type of screening.

If not at 50 years of age exactly, probably by the time I was 55.

Colon cancer is a tricky cancer that is usually not symptomatic.  It was not symptomatic in my father's case - there was no pain eliminating and there was no blood when he eliminated.

If you have health insurance that is compliant with PPACA (health care reform), screening colonoscopy should be a benefit with zero cost share.

I can tell you that the prep is worst than anything else.  Nothing like drinking a gallon or so of a fluid that doesn't really taste rotten but makes you go to the bathroom until you'd swear you got nothing left.

I have mine done in an outpatient hospital setting.  They give you an IV and the entire procedure itself doesn't take more than 15 minutes (assuming it's going smoothly).  You basically are awake, out like a light and then awake again.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Just do as doctor suggests. Don't preworry, it's just they want us to do this at least by the age you are now. I had one done last summer, it was so much easier than I thought it would be. Then when it's done, it's done.

You can go on line and read up on it, people will tell you all sorts of things, as it pertains to them. But don't worry, just do it. Sure beats cancer who doesn't care who it affects. Be proactive.

Just my humble opinion. Do it for you!!

Honored Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@LBird

I feel like you. I am 79 and will not get one unless I need it for some reason and then at my age who cares.

I  THINK POKEING AROUND EVERYWHERE IS NOT A GOOD THING,BUT THAT IS MY OWN OPINION AND i'M STICKING TO IT!

I just had an argument with my daughter over this. She got hers  and thats ok,she can do whaT SHE WANTs .sHE IS 60  (i THINK)

Everyone please excuse the caps and small letters. It was an accident,I must have pressed some key...........and I am in a hurry to feed my furbaby so I cannot retype this,,,,,thanks

Respected Contributor

Please do it to check and see if everything is ok.  It's a preventative measure.  

Honored Contributor

Our neighbor had one done earlier this year. 

They found a polyp that was the kind most likely to turn to cancer. 

Not the polyps most people get and have removed and no big deal.

Naturally, they removed it, but he has to return every 3 years--not five years.

And he had to inform his adult children that they need to get screened at 40 years old (I think it was 40, but it was much earlier than the usual 50 years old).

No history in his family, no issues that made him think something was wrong.

Here's the kicker.  He had a colonoscopy just 2 years prior and nothing was found.  His doc said to come back in 5 years. 

He changed insurances and went to a new doctor and the new doctor ordered him one.  It was found then and if he'd waited another 3 years, it may have been too late!

Honored Contributor

No...but I respect everyone's decision regarding this procedure.

Honored Contributor

Are you more worried about the prep or the procedure itself?  The prep is a pain in the you know what but the colonoscopy is a breeze. I promise you will be comfortable and probably not remember much. I had one in my early 40s and I was totally freaked out at the thought of it but in reality it was pretty easy and let me tell you I'm a "freak-out" kind of person-just ask my doctors!